advertisement

Big change to my system this week as I bought the Tannoy Berkeleys that Cooky recently refurbished (thanks again Frank!). They look and sound stunning and fit in well with the room (my wife much prefers them to my Harbeths!), so I'm absolutely delighted. Great match with the Radford too.

The most satisfying speaker I have owned are my Cheviots, I hope you enjoy these as much. Lovely in the room and possibly the "smallest" big speaker..

Big change to my system this week as I bought the Tannoy Berkeleys that Cooky recently refurbished (thanks again Frank!). They look and sound stunning and fit in well with the room (my wife much prefers them to my Harbeths!), so I'm absolutely delighted. Great match with the Radford too.

Very nice!

Loving the sheer 70/80's retro-ness of it all.

Last edited:
I can’t remember who it was that I said I will try and find an old photo of my music room ?

anyhoo, here is one I found from 1996, still the same Heybrook TT2s, and still in the same corner of the same room.

Crikey - 25 yrs. ago.

I tried weights on equipment quite a while ago :)

2-A1-F32-D2-DDC8-4432-AA98-DF21-C48-F8-EB2.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t remember who it was that I said I will try and find and old photo of my music room ?

anyhoo, here is one I found from 1996, still the same Heybrook TT2s, and still in the same corner of the same room.

Crikey - 25 yrs. ago.

2-A1-F32-D2-DDC8-4432-AA98-DF21-C48-F8-EB2.jpg
Ah.... IMF ALS 40 mk2a.... excellent speakers. How did you like them?

Mine are still tucked away in my wardrobe awaiting the mids to be refoamed. I'll probably never get round to it as I'm too scared to balls it up. I experimented on a sacrificial non-working IMF mid driver but wasn't able to successfully cut through the rotting surround without distorting the shape of the cone, there's some sort of plasticky lamination on it. :eek:

Mine are still tucked away in my wardrobe awaiting the mids to be refoamed. I'll probably never get round to it as I'm too scared to balls it up.

Would you not consider getting it done professionally? It's such a shame that such great speakers aren't being used by someone.

Wish I'd never sold mine. :(

Mine are still tucked away in my wardrobe awaiting the mids to be refoamed. I'll probably never get round to it as I'm too scared to balls it up. I experimented on a sacrificial non-working IMF mid driver but wasn't able to successfully cut through the rotting surround without distorting the shape of the cone, there's some sort of plasticky lamination on it. :eek:
I replaced the mid drivers with a Peerless unit in my IMF with very good results without changing the "voicing" of the speaker :

Would you not consider getting it done professionally? It's such a shame that such great speakers aren't being used by someone.

Wish I'd never sold mine. :(
I'm sure someone on the forum could refoam them for me, but I'm not even able to get the drivers out of the cabinets to send them off to get done, - the gaskets appear to have turned to superglue! :(

I loved the IMF’s for many years, and have some Super Compacts still, but not in use. They will go to a G-Kid hopefully.

The Daughter has had the IMF’s for about 11 yrs, I have spent the last couple of years trying to convince her that they are past their best.
All being well I may have some other loudspeakers for The Daughter very soon, but I best not divulge as it might put the mockers on the whole situation.

I loved the IMF’s for many years, and have some Super Compacts still, but not in use. They will go to a G-Kid hopefully.

The Daughter has had the IMF’s for about 11 yrs, I have spent the last couple of years trying to convince her that they are past their best.
All being well I may have some other loudspeakers for The Daughter very soon, but I best not divulge as it might put the mockers on the whole situation.

Your daughter may just be attached to the sound/provenance of the speakers ... I have a soft spot for the old roberts that I listened to in my late grandparents' kitchen as a child, even though it sounds awful :)

Your daughter may just be attached to the sound/provenance of the speakers ... I have a soft spot for the old roberts that I listened to in my late grandparents' kitchen as a child, even though it sounds awful :)

The Daughter had these speakers in front of her in my music room from the age of about 9 till she left home.
We used to spend hours listening to music together, so she coveted the speakers for many years.
Bearing n mind, Daughter has a younger and elder Brother - but one brother has no space (but would kill to have a decent system) and one has lost interest due to his Wife and work schedule (Chef) and kids…. (no bleedin’ excuse in my ears)

I think Daughter would like those Wharfedale Lintons - and she likes some whump from the bass.

I never understand the 8 ohm amp versus 6 ohm speakers thing. Daughter has an audiolab 8000A amp, which I think is 8 ohms Lintons are 6 ohms. Daughter likes it loud, and her house allows any loud, so she does.
(why wouldn’t you? :) )
Tried to read up about it but haven’t found an explanation that fits my absolute lack of knowledge.
Not important anyhoo.

The Daughter had these speakers in front of her in my music room from the age of about 9 till she left home.
We used to spend hours listening to music together, so she coveted the speakers for many years.
Bearing n mind, Daughter has a younger and elder Brother - but one brother has no space (but would kill to have a decent system) and one has lost interest due to his Wife and work schedule (Chef) and kids…. (no bleedin’ excuse in my ears)

I think Daughter would like those Wharfedale Lintons - and she likes some whump from the bass.

I never understand the 8 ohm amp versus 6 ohm speakers thing. Daughter has an audiolab 8000A amp, which I think is 8 ohms Lintons are 6 ohms. Daughter likes it loud, and her house allows any loud, so she does.
(why wouldn’t you? :) )
Tried to read up about it but haven’t found an explanation that fits my absolute lack of knowledge.
Not important anyhoo.
I haven't heard the new Lintons and it's been a good few years since I last listened to my 40's but I'd be surprised if the Lintons outmuscled the IMFs in the bass department. The Lintons will have a warmer balance for sure but I fondly recall the chest thump my 40's produced. I never took them to ear-splitting volumes though! :)

I haven't heard the new Lintons and it's been a good few years since I last listened to my 40's but I'd be surprised if the Lintons outmuscled the IMFs in the bass department. The Lintons will have a warmer balance for sure but I fondly recall the chest thump my 40's produced! :)

Yup.
Gotta have that thump.

Motivated by Big Tabs 1996 post, I found some old pictures, so here's a few of mine through the ages:

Top-Room-005.jpg

From 2001 and the quality of camera phone available at the time...
Small loft conversion = dedicated HiFi room
LP12 Ittok and K18mk2
Magnum integrated (can't remember the model)
Yamaha CD player (can't remember the model)
DIY active crossover, DIY Phono Stage (two boxes in the middle)
Harmon Kardon Power amp for the Subwoofers
Out of shot, DIY Subwoofers and Infinity bookshelves (can't remember the model)

Top-Room-082.jpg

Jump to 2005
Loewe TV, Dynaudio 42 & Dynaudio 42C, DIY subs (double as stands)
Behringer Analogue crossover, Rotel 985 5 channel amp, Quad 520f powering the subs
Rest of the equipment was wall mounted on the otherside of the room.
From memory, same LP12, Meridian 506 CD and 501 preamp and a Yamaha DSP300 for the surround sound

Top-Room-112.jpg

Jump to 2010, room has been flipped around
Now using Dynaudio BM5A for left, right & centre, Dynaudio 42 now passive rears, different Loewe TV
Early Mac Mini for computer audio
Loewe VCR and Denon DVD player!
Top-Room-115.jpg

Other side of the room feeding the front through the walls
LP12, Ittok and Sumiko BPS, same DIY Phono.
Meridian 506 CD, Meridian 518 Digital Audio Processor and Meridian 568 Surround Processor
Quad 510 for each DIY Sub, 520f now feeding the Rears, Behringer DCX2496 DSP Crossover.

It's changed a bit since then, but having children in 2011 means the room seems to be a dumping ground / clothes drying space now...

Motivated by Big Tabs 1996 post, I found some old pictures, so here's a few of mine through the ages:

Top-Room-115.jpg

Other side of the room feeding the front through the walls
LP12, Ittok and Sumiko BPS, same DIY Phono.
Meridian 506 CD, Meridian 518 Digital Audio Processor and Meridian 568 Surround Processor
Quad 510 for each DIY Sub, 520f now feeding the Rears, Behringer DCX2496 DSP Crossover.

It's changed a bit since then, but having children in 2011 means the room seems to be a dumping ground / clothes drying space now...

I still love the look of the Meridian 500 series.

advertisement

Back