advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That amp is possibly the most hardcore thing we have seen on this site!

My grandfather was a radio ham - built his own RF power amps - it occupied a full 19" rack from floor to ceiling -- quite a thing - but the tubes were still not as amazing as those 833's.....

That amp is possibly the most hardcore thing we have seen on this site!

My grandfather was a radio ham - built his own RF power amps - it occupied a full 19" rack from floor to ceiling -- quite a thing - but the tubes were still not as amazing as those 833's.....

They're probably why there is no need for a fire in that fireplace! :)

They're probably why there is no need for a fire in that fireplace! :)

You joke but I genuinely have had to turn down the radiator when they're powered up (the fireplace is purely ornamental). But yes, they pump out quite a bit of heat into a relatively small room.

They weight 40 kilos each as well and are hand made personally by Christophe who is effectively the company. The story is he bought a job lot of silver, enough to keep him in amp manufacture for the remainder of his life, from the east German army after the reunification of Germany. He had been an architect before working for the government hence his connection. I've no idea how true that story is but it's the answer to the question 'how can he afford to put silver wound transformers in amps for £12k when everyone else charges ten times that much?' It made me smile when I was told. Even if is poppycock and there's a less favourable explanation, I bought these after much listening to other valve and SS kit and for the money these were such an easy decision.

Forgot to mention the green hammerite finish is also a personal custom choice, inspired by the grey hammerite finish on this Leica:
mp_hammertone_1.jpg

Nice photograph above the fireplace, I recognize it, who is it by?

Ah really? That is by my favourite contemporary photographer, Laura Pannaclk, who has also become something of a very dear friend and now also a mentor (that i am paying her to mentor me in my photography). The image is called 'The Offering. They got to know each other bit by bit' and is a signed hand printed original from her series 'Youth Without Age, Life Without Death': https://laurapannack.com/projects/youth-without-age/#ok

I have to say that I bought this two years ago and it has brought me a good deal of joy even though at the time I bought it, it was about the final nail in the coffin that was my marriage. My ex gave me no end of grief about it, to the extent that it was included in the financial settlement as a named item to be deducted from the sale of the house!

Latest incarnation:

-Roon ROCK
-Auralic Vega
-Michel Syncro / Goldring 1042
-Luxman L505uX II
-Tannoy Legacy Eaton
-Audioquest Cables (Pearl / King Cobra / Type4)

xFCutzT.jpg

wnc4grf.jpg

ujmqieU.jpg

Got to give credit to Tannoy with the Legacy series, the wood finish looks stunning and those Eaton’s look really well proportioned. I always felt the older Cheviots never quite looked right, I think it was the rather shallow cabinets and maybe the coloured grills didn’t help, but on the few occasions I heard them they did sound great.
Unfortunately I’ve not had a chance to hear the Legacy series yet.

I'm not sure I've posted a system picture here before - this is my new system, a promise to myself that when established in my own new home (following separation) I would invest in a new system having been obliged to sell my previous Naim/Shahinian set up about ten years ago.

This is still a work in progress as the music server is not yet installed. That will be a Lukasz Audio Lab custom built LDMS Mini (built to a budet so it can still run Roon, which the Pico cannot but I couldn't afford a full Mini). Rest of the system as follows:

• Lampizator Golden Gate MK1 DAC with volume control - this unit is second hand but was reconditioned and upgraded at the factory in Poland. The volume pot means I can feed it directly in to the power amps
  • Albedo Monolith silver monocrystal interconnects
  • Silvercore 833 monoblock power amps - these run the huge 833 tubes designed to power radio transmissions and rated up to 1500w but are instead configured to run at 20w output. Output transformer is handwound silver wired. Rogoz stands
  • Horns FP10 with internal silver wiring upgrade sitting on custom made Rogoz stands
  • Highfidelity CT1 speaker cables
512 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

507 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

508 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

509 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

510 by Greg Turner, on Flickr
The amps are a true work of art, a real altar to tube amplification.

Moved into my new house 3 weeks ago, but there’s so much to sort out - including a new roof ffs - but here is the rudimentary stereo set up. My usual Technics SL-1200G with Nagra PL-P and Sugden A21aP, (plus a lone Quad II mono waiting for its partner to return) and my beloved Falcon LS3/5a pair on brand-new-this-week SolidSteel SS7 stands. Just waiting for the shelves to be altered to fit my vinyl:

(PS bf has just come down to berate me for playing Dr John ‘too loud’ - I don’t know what to say)

Update: ...And he’s just walked out due to the ‘noise’. What a miserable 24-year-old. I expect better...the only solution is a cooked breakfast in the morning with a nice Bordeaux...IME

wtA3Fyt.jpg

Last edited:
Sympathies for the 'unreasonable' partner problem ;)

What a nice space! Hope to see it when it's all done.

Moved into my new house 3 weeks ago, but there’s so much to sort out - including a new roof ffs - but here is the rudimentary stereo set up. My usual Technics SL-1200G with Nagra PL-P and Sugden A21aP, (plus a lone Quad II mono waiting for its partner to return) and my beloved Falcon LS3/5a pair on brand-new-this-week SolidSteel SS7 stands. Just waiting for the shelves to be altered to fit my vinyl:

(PS bf has just come down to berate me for playing Dr John ‘too loud’ - I don’t know what to say)

Update: ...And he’s just walked out due to the ‘noise’. What a miserable 24-year-old. I expect better...the only solution is a cooked breakfast in the morning with a nice Bordeaux...IME

wtA3Fyt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back