advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice..a Nait 3 always looks the centre of gravity in a room..
But I wonder is it sufficient for the Allaes..given the Kan could take a 250 or even two 160 or 110 in mono config to really come alive.
Not making it a full-range still, but mindblowing nontheless for such a small speaker.
For kids though..not sure many have a better system to play with.. :)
Nice sound for cinema the same if that's plugged in.?

The Allaes are incredibly easy to drive and sound as good with the Nait 2 driving them as my 300s, I also tried my SL2s on the end of the Nait 2 same result, it's plucky little amp.

Second setup for the new kids playroom, carpet delayed by 4-5 weeks but I couldn't wait to set this up.

20210328-121418.jpg

Those Naits make me feel funny.

I think the Lockwoods look like what speakers should look like and are fine. In fact, I consider them beautiful but that might be going too far for some people...

Speakers should look like speakers, not like some sculpture or masquerade as furniture. Personally I consider the looks of Sonus Fabers or Wilsons or Focals unacceptable and so will my spouse.

It’s a handy pic to have if you’re considering speakers with a relatively low WAF! I suspect most speakers will be more acceptable if you show the Lockwood pics and ask “what do you think of these?”

I think the Lockwoods look like what speakers should look like and are fine. In fact, I consider them beautiful but that might be going too far for some people...

Speakers should look like speakers, not like some sculpture or masquerade as furniture. Personally I consider the looks of Sonus Fabers or Wilsons or Focals unacceptable and so will my spouse.

I actually like them as well and in that room the look great, but there is no getting away from the fact they appear BIG!

Recently fell upon a cracking pair of Naim SBL, if you didn't know better you'd swear they were made last week

Was a little spoilt for choice and did feel incredibly guilty swapping out my Kan mk1s for these........

wFQy9ao.jpg
They are great speakers but will be better with a solid wall behind them.

Finally put together the headphone "system" in a dedicated location, and not a selection of cupboards to house various bits.

omwtVi4.jpg

Currently in the roster - Denon AH-D7200, AKG K-701, Sennheiser HD-650. All recabled / reterminated for balanced operation. Missing from the picture is the AKG K-1000, currently undergoing re-termination.

The actual kit driving all these:

PQvO4sH.jpg

Trafomatic Head One for a valved amplifier, SAC KH-1000 for a balanced transistor amplifier, Matrix Audio mini-i 3 Pro for the source (networked DAC being feed from the ROCK powering the main system).

Equipment rack is DIY heavily influenced by Tabula Rasa designs (beech and maple solid wood + tempered glass shelves), headphone stands are DIY (aluminium + Delrin) heavily influenced by Woo Audio HPS which were perpetually out-of-stock so I resigned making my own.

Hey - can I ask how you're getting on with the Matrix Audio mini-i 3 Pro? I recently bought an iFi NEO iDSD for a bedroom rig (combined with a Squeezebox Touch) and although it's pretty nice, it's been a bit flakey to the extent that I'm sending it back. Firstly, it can't handle MQA albums from Tidal properly: at best it fails on gapless, at worst it jams up between tracks. I use volume levelling and it seems that any Roon DSP causes it issues with MQA. I've also experienced issues whereby it often can't properly handle a change in sample rate (or switch from PCM to DSD or vice versa) such that it will either start glitching/breaking up OR play the album at the wrong speed!

Given I hadn't originally planned to spend the £699 on the iFi and the Matrix is a bit more expensive again, I wondered how solid it performs with Roon?

Hey - can I ask how you're getting on with the Matrix Audio mini-i 3 Pro?

It has been flawless so far. I did have to update the firmware to get Roon Ready capabilities, but it is a simple procedure and fully automated.

Note I do not use it's volume control, nor the headphone output - but solely as a streaming DAC.

Recently fell upon a cracking pair of Naim SBL, if you didn't know better you'd swear they were made last week. Was a little spoilt for choice and did feel incredibly guilty swapping out my Kan mk1s for these........

Currently running Kans, but I could easily go back to SBLs. I got rid of mine to scratch an Isobarik itch that I had at the time.

It has been flawless so far. I did have to update the firmware to get Roon Ready capabilities, but it is a simple procedure and fully automated.

Note I do not use it's volume control, nor the headphone output - but solely as a streaming DAC.

Thanks for your reply - that sounds good. From where did you purchase yours, may I ask?

Possibly the most ridiculous thing on here, but it amuses me. My (temporary) workshop system - you can see the regular amplifier off to the side.

Chromecast audio (radio paradise) into a monstrous EWA class A amplifier, feeding tiny little JPW Sonata loudspeakers!

It is seriously distracting, it sounds so good... The amplifier is probably capable of setting fire to the speakers though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back