Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System Pics 2021

Discussion in 'audio' started by Whaleblue, Jan 1, 2021.

1. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

I have to say, everyone's systems look so much neater and more elegant than does mine!

Do you people have interior decorators? Or just a better sense than me?

2. Conan

Conan Loop digger

They probably don't have kids...or if they do, they are locked away :)

3. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Ha, I often sit here thinking the very same thing Dimitry. My system looks a like a random pile of non-matching boxes and despite regular cleaning everything is perpetually covered in a layer of dust due to being in an old cottage + dirty dog + wood burning stove. My floor is so wonky that the corner of one speaker is currently being supported by a shard of wood that I took from the log basket! It wouldn't make a very impressive photo :D

Torris12, effinity, cooky1257 and 7 others like this.
  4. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

If you saw down the back of mine you'd laugh from now till Christmas, cable dressing? It looks more like the undressing room for a drunken Roman orgy

Torris12, jimbot2.0 and DimitryZ like this.
  5. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

^^^^ THIS. In our case, old house, two 'doodles, two teenage sons, a stove (in the other room, but still) and a wife who seems to deny the very existence of dust and dusting. So I have to do it. Which means it doesn't get done so often :)

6. Somafunk

Somafunk Well-Known Member

Allo all, new forum user. There is some fantastic looking systems posted in this thread so I thought id add a few of my own but it appears that when I tried I received a message that my post was flagged as spam and couldn't be posted? - is this because im a new forum user?

7. John

John Fore!

The photo I posted was from my Living Room/Dining Room. The back of my home has the kitchen and family room which is where most of our time is spent. This is the part of the home which is the most challenging place to keep tidy, especially when our kids lived with us.

The LR/DR has always been the music room. Loudspeakers, piano and comfortable seating. The records and bulk of the gear is in the basement. The speakers, amps, turntable are well isolated from one another.

DimitryZ likes this.
  8. Somafunk

Allo all, finally got it working so I thought id add a few of my own, whilst not up to the hi-fi standard and cost of many posted above it sounds pretty good to my ears, New forum user but have had a financially ruinous appreciation for that "perfect" sound since the late 80's after saving up my minuscule pay from first job to buy a walkman DC-2 paired with Koss-Porta pro headphones, That's how it started.....pics below show how its going 31years later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2020 iMac/iPad Pro with 500gb ish Flac files running Roon/Tidal hifi - Cambridge Audio CXN V2 - KRK 10s sub - KRK G4 Rocket 7, Audioquest Cinnamon usb cables, Audioquest Pearl Ethernet cables to iMac/CXN V2, balanced Neutrik XLR cables to sub/speakers with isoacoustic 155 speaker stands and isoacoustic 200 subwoofer stands. Quite a few GIK Acoustics room treatment panels, 4 of Tri corner bass traps (corners of front wall), 2 of 244 bass traps with flex range limiter (front wall), 2 of 4A Alpha pro diffusers (front/rear wall), 2 of 2A alpha pro diffusers (side walls), 7 of 242 acoustic panels (2 @ first reflection, 5 still to fit to ceiling), 2 of Monster bass traps with flex range (rear wall). You'd think that'd be enough in a 3.3m x 4.2 m room right?.....Nah - not quite........I have a spike at 70khz and 100-125khz (I love the visceral thump of my sub) so I'm also buying 2 monster bass traps with flex range to sit on floor/against front wall behind desk and 2 of scopus tuned membrane T70/T100 bass traps for far rear corner.

It sounds pretty bloody good as it is and an unimaginable difference compared to the non treated room beforehand but I do like my electronic music at a healthy volume so needs must, waiting on a floor to get laid but covid restrictions have put that on the back burner for the foreseeable future so there's nothing left to do apart from sit down and enjoy the music.
    Fortunately sitting down is one of the things im rather good at due to secondary progressive multiple sclerosis and a good sounding room to sit in is well worth the effort to treat, Ive spent far more on the room acoustics than my hifi system and from my perspective, currently sat on my arse listening to what surprises roon radio throws at me it is fantastic value.

BTC3, Torris12, peter312 and 18 others like this.
  9. Nero

Nero Wiped Clean

I'd keep an eye on those office chairs. Otherwise, you're going to see a real mongrel in nine months time

Jono_13 and booja30 like this.
  10. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes pfm Member

How did you determine which treatments to buy, and where to put them?

11. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Sold mine, didn't get as much as expected but hey...;);)

12. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

You are lucky Jono - had to pay for mine to be taken away... :D

Jono_13 likes this.
  13. Somafunk

Tumeni Notes : I had a fair idea of what I needed as I've been very fortunate enough to spend time in treated studios over the years to know what works/what doesn't work but I still took advice and got my room swept by a mate who's a bit of a geek when it comes to his studio set up, I wasn't totally off with my initial room choices but the addition of range limiters on panels to deal with specific frequencies helped a lot and with accurate positioning of the panels (a laser level helps with this), I also sent GIK my room dimensions/freq response etc and their technicians comeback/recommendations was surprisingly accurate - I guess when you deal with acoustic room treatments day in day out then you get an understanding of what will work for a given price/cost outcome.

14. John

John Fore!

Here’s another angle.

[​IMG]

15. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Lovely room! I must get round to starting a piano thread! In fact, I'll do it now!

16. Somafunk

Wow, a baby grand Yamaha piano in your living room......very jealous..........not that I can play more than few chords but that's never stopped me from butchering the keys whenever I got the chance.

17. geetee1972

geetee1972 pfm Member

Those speakers be like:

[​IMG]

booja30 and Jono_13 like this.
  18. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Love Silent Running :)

Zagreus and Jono_13 like this.
  19. geetee1972

geetee1972 pfm Member

It came up in a random YouTube video I watched last night on 'Best underrated hard sci-fi films' (gotta love the titles of some of these videos). I haven't seen the film in years but imagine it might feel oddly prescient now. I remember being quite upset when Huey (or was it Duey or maybe Louie?) got hit by the vehicle and ended up partially disabled.

A cult classic Sci-Fi film if ever there was one.

20. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Huey gets damaged. Looking back at old Sci Fi dying/dead planet stuff, it’s a lot more real now than at the time for sure.