advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not big, about 14' x 18' I think. Used to have my hifi in a much larger space. Hence attention to building materials and furnishings for acoustics and speakers suitable to the size of the room. Harbeth and Wilson are both accommodating speakers, but Harbeth benefitted from more space to the side than this room would allow.

Neither my wife nor I like looking at hifi, but the Sabrina in Titanium are quite a feature. I've used Townshend Isolda cables for some years and they go under rugs, but the wife objects to the few inches that are visible.

Thanks, neat layout, one of my pet peeves is visible cabling, like yourself I generally choose to run (Nordost) cables under a rug, though I normally place the poweamps behind me or more recently directly behind the speakers.

B425644-A-F5-E7-4928-9-BE3-8-DE4143-DA3-F2.jpg
Well..... this spur of the moment amplifier purchase landed today. Rather pleased with it :)

JpW9yNR

Spill the beans what is it then- looks very nice.:)

It is a Cayin CS88a. I have only had it a couple of days and it sounds amazing. It absolutely spanks the Creek Destiny 2 that it replaces. More than happy :)

Fjallbo stand from Ikea for a princely sum of £45 !! Although I added the shelves from some off cuts of oak worktop.

Fanatisc room and system
Have you tried a larger carpet (or dare I say rug)
Is your floor suspended or concerte
Are there any reports of placing Sabrinas on their own independant suspension such as from Townshend etc?

The rug is larger than it looks, large enough to cover from speakers to listening chair. The floor is suspended, 1” thick French oak, which we bought 25 years ago. The rest of the ground floor was taken down to the earth and the floor rebuilt with multiple layers including 5” of concrete screed and tiled.

I’ve seen images of Sabrina on Townshend podiums by Stone Audio. I had a podium under my turntable.

Latest update.

Pondered about it for quite a bit. The price was a bit off-putting - I haven't yet reached the point where I can justify that much for a consumable, but eh.

zCuSd2b.jpg

And one more, because photos available on the net are horrible (i.e. non-existent in better quality).

30vUav8.jpg

So, an EMT (Elektromesstechnik) TSD (Tondose Stereo Diamant) MRB (Multi-Radius Boron) X (SME Mount).

I went with the full coil option, for an output of 0,21 mVs/cm, yielding ~1mV @ 5 cm/sec. Straight into the Devialet phono, set for 1,000 μV, and currently loaded at 460Ω.

Still in the honeymoon phase, but very much NOT regretting the purchase. :)

Last edited:
Changed the rack so I can have all the turntables available - plenty of room for other kit now :)

IMG_20211028_211449.jpg

IMG_20211028_211418.jpg
My wife just recently discovered what she called "an overflow turntable" on a small stand in front of the regular set of racks...number 9. She didn't even bother berating me...

3 are the front loading Sony biotracer units, so very compact...the 9th one is Technics SL-7, very small.

Nothing to worry about!

But it's a good time for a Moisonite jewelry gift.

My mono 78 set-up in its current iteration. The Altec is out of commission for now in favor of the Quad. Specks of dust in the sun are the dots in front of the quad... Driven by a 405 and a Conrad Johnson PV10. I got very lucky this summer to find a full Quad system from a former radio engineer who used to work for the BBC and WBAI in NY. He was their single owner and kept them in working condition throughout his life.

lKD7MJr.jpg

My mono 78 set-up in its current iteration. The Altec is out of commission for now in favor of the Quad. Specks of dust in the sun are the dots in front of the quad... Driven by a 405 and a Conrad Johnson PV10. I got very lucky this summer to find a full Quad system from a former radio engineer who used to work for the BBC and WBAI in NY. He was their single owner and kept them in working condition throughout his life.

lKD7MJr.jpg
Charming: warm and welcoming.

Thanks to @Dandy for the KEF 3.2s, after a long search!
Not ideal position at the moment, the room will be moved round next year with some building work.

Rega P7/AT33PTGII with Neo & Linear PSU and Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk
Sony DVP-S9000ES
Yamaha CD-NT670D
Denon PMA-2000IVR
KEF Reference Three-Two (3.2)

Bryson B60R & Decware Zen sitting un-used at the moment.

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System
The little Scanspeak Frugelhorns will go back into storage, I have a long term plan for those.

Well, I've avoided posting anything here because there's not much to show, but since I decided to show my new hi-fi/AV stand in a different thread, I might as well share it here too. The placement is awful due to other factors in the room layout. All I can do is look forward to when we might buy a house in the next year or two and I can shop around for a place with a better layout.

hifi-stand.jpg

This is my first hi-fi system, mostly purchased during lockdown summer 2020:
Naim NAP 150 & NAC 122X
Cambridge Audio DACmagic 100
SOtM sMS-200 NEO SE
Denon DCD-1520
DALI Oberon 5
Bespoke, locally-built, solid-oak stand

Next steps would be (over an uncertain time period): 1) Naim PSU for the pre-amp, 2) DAC upgrade, 3) (contingent on moving to a different place) speaker upgrade.

Thanks to @Dandy for the KEF 3.2s, after a long search!
Not ideal position at the moment, the room will be moved round next year with some building work.

Rega P7/AT33PTGII with Neo & Linear PSU and Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk
Sony DVP-S9000ES
Yamaha CD-NT670D
Denon PMA-2000IVR
KEF Reference Three-Two (3.2)

Bryson B60R & Decware Zen sitting un-used at the moment.

System

System
The little Scanspeak Frugelhorns will go back into storage, I have a long term plan for those.

Those KEF's look rather tasty, pleased you're enjoying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back