advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep from being bored. :)

Shown are photos of a network streamer, completed last weekend. Based on a RPI4, with a linear PSU (Salas L-Adapter), on-board OCXO by MicroCrystal (25MHz / 54MHz) as well as an integrated USB isolator built around a bus-powered ADUM4160 (5kV).

Software used is Ropieee, for seamless integration in the Roon setup.

Q5PCQkU.jpg

BWFkJqQ.jpeg

K02H7Lr.jpeg

GudMt9f.jpeg

Shown are photos of a network streamer, completed last weekend. Based on a RPI4, with a linear PSU (Salas L-Adapter), on-board OCXO by MicroCrystal (25MHz / 54MHz) as well as an integrated USB isolator built around a bus-powered ADUM4160 (5kV).

Q5PCQkU.jpg

BWFkJqQ.jpeg

K02H7Lr.jpeg

GudMt9f.jpeg
Nice or cute cannot describes this hi-fi equipment, MASTERPIECE is what it is! Tremendously nice !

Q5PCQkU.jpg

BWFkJqQ.jpeg

K02H7Lr.jpeg

GudMt9f.jpeg

:):cool: Seriously, you could walk into a job at any HiFi company as a designer with that under your arm. It's one of the best looking, freshest bits of kit I've ever seen, yet it's so obvious.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is what any waste heat will do to the wood.

Fancy an appearance on Dragon's Den?

Q5PCQkU.jpg

BWFkJqQ.jpeg

K02H7Lr.jpeg

GudMt9f.jpeg

Is that an isolation platform for your TT ;)

Q5PCQkU.jpg

BWFkJqQ.jpeg

K02H7Lr.jpeg

GudMt9f.jpeg

jeez, i agree with @2ManyBoxes - that's just straight up beautiful.

As a guy with a RPi4 running Ropieee, i'd love to know more about that.

:):cool: Seriously, you could walk into a job at any HiFi company as a designer with that under your arm. It's one of the best looking, freshest bits of kit I've ever seen, yet it's so obvious.

Agree 100% !
I see too many CD players with thin an flimsy drawers at a selling price of £ 3 000.00 and other bling bling pieces of hi-fi gears with ultra thin/rattling sheet metal enclosure with a thick front plate to fake it’s a high end equipment !

Thanks everyone! :)

I just wanted to have something that is not in one of the standard available aluminium boxes. :)

Not a lot of heat at that. The RPi hovers around 55°C, and the L-Adapter is quite cool due to (1) the larger than typical heatsink, and (2) the low draw of the RPi. Additionally, the vents have been strategically located to draw away hot air.

Lastly, it may be difficult to spot on the photographs due to the heavy filtering I added, but the entirety of the inside of the wood frame is lined with copper. :)

I must say I do not know what that is. :)

I'd love to know the prime cost of that, but you could sell it for several grand! Very nice job.

No problem at all.

Let me see (veeeeery rough estimate).
  1. RPi + peripherals - £90;
  2. L-Adapter (board + parts) - £90;
  3. OCXO (two oscillators) - £100 (samples from MicroCrystal - the cost is shipping + import duties - don't ask);
  4. USB isolator board - £70;
  5. Toroidal Transformer - £40;
  6. Custom milled aluminium boxes for the electronics - £100;
  7. Custom feet for the box - £80;
  8. Custom wooden frame - £60;
  9. Waterjet top, bottom and rear cover - £100;
  10. Copper shielding - £20;
  11. Neutrik / Furutech connectors - £60;
  12. Sandblasting and anodizing - £60;
  13. Screws/standoffs/sleeving/bits'n'pieces - £40.
Without the labor cost, I would say... £910?

Dang, I thought it was less. :(

Is that an isolation platform for your TT ;)

The turntable would crush this. :)

As a guy with a RPi4 running Ropieee, i'd love to know more about that.

Sure, what exactly would you like to know? :)

There is a market for this kind of thing and it's what Lukasz Domanski of LDMS Audio does - see here for someone else who started building high end servers as a hobbbyist and then turned it into a business.

https://www.lucasaudiolab.com/

I'm currently waiting on delivery of an LDMS Mini

I have heard of the LDMS servers, but have not had the pleasure of auditioning one.

That said, going into business with this is not something I imagine (1) wanting to do and even (2) being able to do in light of where I live (outside the EU). Everything is so much difficult to import, and everything is so much difficult to export.

I have heard of the LDMS servers, but have not had the pleasure of auditioning one.

That said, going into business with this is not something I imagine (1) wanting to do and even (2) being able to do in light of where I live (outside the EU). Everything is so much difficult to import, and everything is so much difficult to export.
You are in good company, soon most of here will be outside the EU!

I'm in the USA, but this is a UK-based forum, so here is my 'British corner':

4mJ59nV.jpg

My beloved Spendor SP3/1R2's were like-new demo models listed on Analogue Seduction's website. Even with the cost of shipping them across the Atlantic, the final price was less than 50% of what I would have paid for a new pair from a US-based retailer.

uJBI7eB.jpg

I also consider my SL-1200MK2 to be hono(u)rary British... I purchased it on eBay from a seller in Wales, and unlike the North American models, it has switchable voltage. All I had to do to use it with 120v/60hz is lift off the platter and move a switch, and stick a $4 adapter on the UK mains plug.

The Welsh fellow had already added the KAB USA 78 speed mod (useful to me), and I further tweaked it by internally/externally damping the arm wand, re-wiring the arm, upgrading the interconnects, and installing a KAB USA fluid damper. Adding a final 'British touch' are a set of UK-made Isonoe footers, also purchased from Analogue Seduction at a substantial discount vs. buying from a US vendor.

I guess you could say I'm doing my part to help the British economy!

BCV5Rot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back