advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new tonearm is a PMAC Audio Technica 1010, fitted with MS-9 headshell. The deck is my beloved Sony TTS8000.
My main system is a Denon PMA850 amplifier (1977); Technics SH-X1000 DAC (1990) and Yamaha NS1000 speakers (1988) on Cliff Stone Foundation stands. It's likely this will never change.

49561986387_c6e030e24c_z.jpg

38358677915_dee3b6c376_z.jpg

Theres a minty looking PMA 850 & matching tuna here :) - doesn't look to fishy to me either! http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=293757421970

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
y4mtzHilSw-IbnKA0enY2fhlsQZTVLq_wnsGghmcxByTLdeff54o8jKfITlBBXBM42VTQt9OVioaAqz_WBokfcP3t7hk_erfYjnAmetWWYI9nK7WrDCDeuvAl9_vPVRNtTm33tdvK5kdvxu-37yXi7h3SVsUWMgOcDE9FwtrX7rMhc4qe3Zm6JyhDaspPS9LZDR

Swapped record player with downstairs again (for all a Rega front end down there), Funk LSD with AT33ptg/ii and "new" Benchmark DAC1 - rest is Whest Two.2, Goldpoint passive pre, Amp Camp Amp and Audeze LCD-X, RPi/Allo Digone tucked away at the back, plus Audeze Sine for H/phone out from Dac - rather pleased with how it all sounds

My main system is a Denon PMA850 amplifier (1977); Technics SH-X1000 DAC (1990) and Yamaha NS1000 speakers (1988) on Cliff Stone Foundation stands. It's likely this will never change.

My FIL used to own the Technics CD player. Can’t remember whether it was a transport and a dac. He’d only had it a week when he gouged the top plate. He liked it a lot and it certainly looked the part.

How does the 30 year old DAC sound compare to modern ones?

y4m1OHIsk2yoIPnjmAWBG2ch-Nli5uyLCvkIaZ0rtWg7N2s6IUJw0F0BLh-YZgYq4QLOIW9mHG4bF5ZQfmQq2wFkmtgL9SUIm7tsQ5ZILSrVxHPqugYqv53YhQxLjNnIrwMtiegqAW3ZPHZ2qrmZVxAK0fwl7YT5VBWAHZFZnlMXp6Ex6NywH_-G_XuE6Vu2VGH

and, the living room: Rega P8 (with AT33EV - whilst Apheta 2 is being assessed by insurer following a sleeve incident), original DAC and Aria, Pro-ject S2 Analogue pre, another Amp Camp Amp and Audeze LCD-XC

What happens to the deck when the 'phone rings?

How does the 30 year old DAC sound compare to modern ones?

It replaced a £3k modern DAC that I had chosen following a number of demonstrations against similarly priced DACs. The massive investment that Technics put into its power supply and output stages must be the reason as I assume that DAC chips themselves have developed considerably.

50639059041_02265a3d09.jpg

post-11148-100000437%201170294444.jpg[IMG]

and, the living room: Rega P8 (with AT33EV - whilst Apheta 2 is being assessed by insurer following a sleeve incident),

If it's any consolation, I had the same thing happen with a fragile Apheta 2 and replaced it with the AT33EV - no intention of going back.

Taking a few days off from the day job. First task? Shuffling the system (again). I think I prefer the amp on the left, headphone rig on the right. More aesthetically pleasing. Six inches of clearance over the amp, doesn’t seem to get any warmer than it got when away from the tt shelf...

If it's any consolation, I had the same thing happen with a fragile Apheta 2 and replaced it with the AT33EV - no intention of going back.

I really like the EV on the P8, all works very well. Suspect I will stick with it even if insurance sort the Apheta2.

^^^If one only knew what the next year would bring....ugh. Be careful what we wish for! Here’s to better things, whenever they come!
Exactly, we still have Brexit to come next year, anyone looking to buy some new kit from an EU country, you've got 4 weeks, otherwise expect a long wait & big hike in prices!
TS

2020 sure hasn't been the year I was looking forward too!! But the summer in Central London was strangely surreal in a pleasant way.
You know what, I have really enjoyed my trips out into the middle of nowhere through the summer, we did it more than we normally would, visited the Long Mynd and Dovedale a few times as well as Fradley Junction and Barton under Needwood, and a trip to Bridgenorth. All these places are a reasonably short drive for me. I’ve appreciated what a beautiful country we live in... I usually spend a fair amount of time out of it... so whilst it’s been a really crappy year (lost two relatives to Covid, business has taken a real battering from it too), it’s also had some highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back