advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried a MF Amp to match your M1 kit? I'm a bit OCD and would have matching MF Amp and Phono in there.

I did consider getting one but instead have decided to scratch an itch from way back and have got an Audiolab 8000S coming. I've had an 8000A for a few years (and which my daughter now uses) and demo'd one years back and enjoyed it (although went with Naim that time). I've got an Audiolab CD player in one of my other systems so might swap that for the MF stuff.

The ineffable joy of using a record player (and 12” tonearm I built) for the first time in years. Will dust it down and start listening to vinyl again. I got out of the habit. Those Zaavi mystery bargain box purchases were just the ticket to kickstart a nasty little habit, but it’ll help duke out what’s going to be an otherwise long, dark, cold winter away from friends and family.

Some things to try this winter are oppositional ring magnets under that platter and some new arduino code to torque up the 3x motors then settle down after a couple of revolutions.

Which part? The broken remote? The no power switch on the front? Not being able to tell what source or volume it is set to from a distance?

The remote is certainly a factor (and even if the volume control worked fully it'd still be an issue plus my remote also won't put the amp into standby although it will move between sources), but it's also stuff like the way the source selection works (with the remote or manually). I only use two sources in that system (the digital sources route through one DAC) but if you're on the 2nd source you have to go through all the other ones to get back to the one you want. Even using the knob on the amp doesn't help as it just moves the source selection in one direction no matter what way you turn it. It's not a huge deal if it was just me using that system but it's in the living room so used by other folks as well plus no-one (including me) remembers which colour matches which source and there is no other labelling. The only power button being on the back isn't a huge deal however some of the source lights on the front are very bright so it would be useful being able to put it into standby (which I can't do with my amp).

Comparing it to the Primare I use in my bedroom system (where the DNA-45 previously was) it's night and day from an ergonomic perspective and while the DNA-45 sounds good it's not good enough (and certainly no better than the Primare) it's not good enough to make up for the other issues. Ok the system might be better it it was possible to get the amp repaired, but that'd be a marginal improvement.

Fabulous looking beast

edit. Was meant to be about Claire Foxx turntable and arm but the quote seemed to fail. Typical of my week lol.

171180411.gOjaUKm1.bowie04.jpg

The ineffable joy of using a record player (and 12” tonearm I built) for the first time in years. Will dust it down and start listening to vinyl again. I got out of the habit. Those Zaavi mystery bargain box purchases were just the ticket to kickstart a nasty little habit, but it’ll help duke out what’s going to be an otherwise long, dark, cold winter away from friends and family.

Some things to try this winter are oppositional ring magnets under that platter and some new arduino code to torque up the 3x motors then settle down after a couple of revolutions.

Such a fine looking table, I really enjoyed watching that build years ago, so look forward to seeing what you may come up with as time goes along! And yes, nice to have a good winter project, I am not looking forward to winter at all....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back