advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty simple setup. Denon DCD-2560 as transport. Khadas Toneboard DAC in the back out of sight. ATC SIA2-150 amp and SCM19 speakers. Mogami, Belden, Blue Jeans cabling. A turntable is MIA. I have about 400 LP's being bored in my Ikea Expedit. Sold my SL-1000MkII some time ago as it was overkill for how seldomly I get to spin records. But I do miss it so perhaps a Technics SL-1500C all-in-one package soon?

Just spend the day rotating the room (or the innards) 90 degrees. Before playing on the short length I had very little bottom end no matter what. Better balanced now and also much better soundstage with the speakers doing the disappearing act. Still a bit of upper midrange forwardness when the going gets tough. Perhaps a smoother DAC than ESS Sabre 9038 in the Khadas?

Setup.jpg

I strongly suggest a DAC change won’t fix anything like that. It’s either speaker change or room treatment. The ATCs are worth some effort, so I’d start with the room.
Yeah maybe get a mic so you can see where the problem lies, changing gear to EQ the response in your room seems wasteful. Unless the gear has tone controls or Dirac or something. Try putting something heavy on the radiator to dampen it. They can start pinging along with the music i've found, especially those kind with a large flat reflective surface.

I strongly suggest a DAC change won’t fix anything like that. It’s either speaker change or room treatment. The ATCs are worth some effort, so I’d start with the room.

Agreed. Maybe try removing the table if that's feasible and see if a thicker rug helps.

I use the Studio and have it as a digital volume and input switch box, you could just put it before your dac and max out the volume, or replace it with the regular SHD. Dirac works very well ime and it's easy to adjust the default curve to taste or just do the bass and leave the tonality of the speakers alone for the most part.

Have been looking at MiniDSP from time to time. Just have to figure out how to implement it if useful.

DSP is typically most useful to fix bass issues, not-so-much treble! The suggestions above are a good place to start, as well as adding deflection behind your seating area if possible. Bookcases with random sized books work well in this respect.

I would say open, but it really depends sometimes closed sounds better has been my experience. But like i mentioned before something like umik-1 mic is a great tool to see what's going on.

The SHD has it's own volume control but you can just max it out and it's like any other dac. You can also max out the volume on your amp but using the one on your amp is probably quieter and safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back