advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markaudio/Sota Cesti MB. Brilliant things, I’ve been banging on about them all week and I’m seriously hooked.

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product-category/home-audio/speaker-collection/brand/

They don’t quite have the scale of my XL frugalhorns with Mark Audio Alpair drivers but they’re free-er, lighter on their feet. The imaging is absolutely outstanding, the best I’ve heard I think, I’m sat here being pinged by snares, strings and horns from 3ft wide of each speaker. Captivating stuff!

Markaudio/Sota Cesti MB. Brilliant things, I’ve been banging on about them all week and I’m seriously hooked.

They don’t quite have the scale of my XL frugalhorns with Mark Audio Alpair drivers but they’re free-er, lighter on their feet. The imaging is absolutely outstanding, the best I’ve heard I think, I sat here being pinged by snares, strings and horns from 3ft wide of each speaker. Captivating stuff!
They look very interesting, did you listen to the B and MBR too? What’s the sonic differences? Do they work close to a wall/side wall, I see you have them in a good bit of free space.
Thanks
Gus

They don’t quite have the scale of my XL frugalhorns with Mark Audio Alpair drivers but they’re free-er, lighter on their feet. The imaging is absolutely outstanding, the best I’ve heard I think, I’m sat here being pinged by snares, strings and horns from 3ft wide of each speaker. Captivating stuff!
They look to be incredible value for money as well. Thanks for letting me know.

They look very interesting, did you listen to the B and MBR too? What’s the sonic differences? Do they work close to a wall/side wall, I see you have them in a good bit of free space.
Thanks
Gus

Can’t say I’ve heard the others Gus. The MBR is similar, but with posh square wire I think.

I’ve just plonked them down tonight where the XLs were, as the stands only arrived today. I’ll push them back a bit and see what effect it has on the sound.

Very interesting, are they on a special offer at the moment or is that the usual price? I’m seriously tempted to get a pair to try in the second system but don’t want to just jump straight in now.

Looks like a very interesting product in every way indeed ! At a real world price at that. Does someone know how they are compared to the Kef LS50s ?

Very interesting, are they on a special offer at the moment or is that the usual price? I’m seriously tempted to get a pair to try in the second system but don’t want to just jump straight in now.
Prices are all over the shop if you Google, seems the full price was very high but for whatever reason, maybe they didn't shift, KJF (orangeart) has them on a serious discount. Figured worth a punt so have some black MBR on the way £433, would have gone for the B but they are too tall.

RRP for the Cesti MB was £995. I’ve seen second hand pairs selling for more than Stefan is asking for brand new units.

Looks like a very interesting product in every way indeed ! At a real world price at that. Does someone know how they are compared to the Kef LS50s ?

I can see why you’d ask that, they look very similar. Quite different technically though, as the Kef has the concentric drivers and a crossover, whereas the MB is a single driver covering the whole frequency range.

You pays yer money and all that, but I’ve preferred the single driver approach for a while now. Problem is they’re usually either pretty expensive or in massive, DIY boxes.

These Sota/Mark Audio products put them in a pretty, front room friendly box at a great price, whilst incorporating Mark Fenlons excellent driver designs that seem, to my ears at least, to mitigate against the traditional disadvantages of the concept.

I've had the LS50 in a 2 channel and all round in a 5.1 system, found I liked them best in free space with some watts up them. Preferred RS1 in the 2 channel system which had either UQ1, UQ2 or Brio as the Amp. At the price figured the Cesti are worth a punt and can always move them to the Office once I start going in again or sell on.

Few reviews out there, generally seem positive, if you out any stock in them
https://www.hifichoice.com/content/markaudio-sota-cesti-mb

Conclusion
This all-rounder will keep reggae, rock or electronica fans happy, but absolutely comes into its own with well-recorded acoustic music, where the spatial placement and complex tonal timbre of real instruments is lavishly depicted. While there’s only a single driver, the attention its designer has lavished upon performance, engineering and aesthetics makes it one of the best I’ve heard.CW

DETAILS
Product: Markaudio-Sota Cesti MB
Price: £995​

Latest pics of the lockdown days of music appreciation.

2oz0TWx.jpg

ZUcKHvV.jpg

oIcCELz.jpg

Thanks
Gus

My MB’s are close to the rear wall and sound brilliant. Can’t recommend them enough.

@Progmeister - love the industrial rack and decanter

what is the turntable?
VPI Scout II.
@Progmeister - love the industrial rack and decanter

what is the turntable?
It is a VPI Scout II as mentioned above. I can report that it takes the bends very well and very good on the straight too ha ha. I had some top n0tch high end cartridges in it and found that it sounds great with the cheaper varients. The decanter contains Auchentoshan in American Oak scotch, one of my more affordable faves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back