advertisement

System pics 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks at all.
@TheDecameron : Sorry I'm no native, an underlay for the rug? No there is none, we have a floor heater and therefore an underlay will not work (I guess). For what do you use/need an underlay for a rug (sorry I'm a complete rug noob).
It makes the carpet softer under your feet. I had an intolerably hard sounding room and I put a thin but very heavy rubber unlerlay underneath a rug that looks suspiciously like yours..I couldn’t get away with acoustic treatments on the walls apart from underlay suspended behind a tapestry.

This-
wb9j61.jpg

Tapestry to left. I even thought about putting felt behind the canvases.

I can’t quite believe I’ve managed to get away with with this much hifi in the corner of the room!! A rearrange and adding in a 4.1 system has increased the heights of the racks somewhat!

I’m a lucky guy.

VZ1hLBV.jpg

QfhnWyd.jpg

Need to sort out the ceiling lights in here yet - need to get those bag-faces lit up on the wall properly.

I was thinking about some cat pee deflectors... but lucky for me she only marks her territory by being overly familiar with visitors and acts like she's never been fed!

MJG, what are the speakers? bases? please.
HI there,

There Speakers are Cambridge Audio SX50's (don't be put of by the price..... a very well designed and superb compact speaker).

The isolation basses are RoXdon RMP-1 Foam Isolation pads - they are sold on Ebay for £18 and work excellently.

I hope this helps.

cheers

Hello Rug Doc,

nice looking system. Please tell us more about the components.

Thanks, McN

Hi McN,

Hifi side is all vintage Yamaha.

YP-D9 turntable + Yamaha MC-1x cart
CD-2 CD player
T-2 tuner
KX-1020 Cassette
C-2 preamp
B-2 amplifier
NS1000XW speakers.

That makes me sound slightly obsessed! I think I might be, but it’s just a great system and all works together so well... I have no desire to change.

Cinema side - Only a simple 4.1 system (I don’t believe a centre channel speaker serves any purpose when listening is done from the sweet spot..)

Audiolab 8200AP Processor
Audiolab 8200P amp
Infinity Modulas rears.
BK Xxls subwoofer

That’s it, oh apart from the Sound Factory modular stands which I just adore.

Igv7jfF.jpg

Hello Rug Doc,

thanks a lot for the additional information. I love those older Japanese systems. They are build to last and look gorgeous. ... and the Audiolab equipment fits perfectly ... great set up!

Cinema side - Only a simple 4.1 system (I don’t believe a centre channel speaker serves any purpose when listening is done from the sweet spot..)

Most dialog is output from the center channel with 5.1 audio, and many center specific speakers tend to be voiced for dialog. We only have a 2.0 system (audio and TV combined), and it's extremely frustrating for us that Netflix defaults to 5.1. The dialog is very quiet until we manually switch it back to stereo via the audio/subtitle menu.

Does your Audiolab processor have a 4.1 setting that routes 5.1 center channel audio to the front L/R speakers?

Does your Audiolab processor have a 4.1 setting that routes 5.1 center channel audio to the front L/R speakers?

In the setup menu you confirm whether of not there is a centre channel fitted. If not it will play the whole front stage through the L/R speakers.

Sitting centrally it’s better than plenty of expensive three channel front ends I have heard... Yes of course if your not sitting centrally in the sweet spot the central image is pulled off centre (which was the whole original point of a central channel! - Basically everything that is recorded in equal level L&R levels is sent to the centre channel and not to the L/R channels) With no centre channel fitted, the L/R speakers play as per normal stereo. My personal view is that if you have a decent stereo setup with good soundstage and imaging (and view sitting centrally between the speakers) there is absolutely no need for a centre channel... Those that say there is a need in these circumstances have never heard a really decent stereo system do it’s stuff in a 4.1 setup.

Greetings from NYC!

The system:

qsO7IVM.jpg

The room:

The rug: Turkish. Bought by my wife's grandparents in Turkey in the 1950s. We have three more.

The Replacements: courtesy of @Tony L

--Joe
YPTxVvt

Having donated a few LPs to Tony for sale in the pfm record store, I'm assuming that the Replacements LP used to be mine! On that basis, I'm thrilled it ended up in NYC.
John

Having donated a few LPs to Tony for sale in the pfm record store, I'm assuming that the Replacements LP used to be mine! On that basis, I'm thrilled it ended up in NYC.
John

John, it's a lovely copy and I promise to give it a good home!

Greetings from NYC!

The system:

The rug: Turkish. Bought by my wife's grandparents in Turkey in the 1950s. We have three more.

The Replacements: courtesy of @Tony L

The bridge: Williamsburg.

In less-important matters, the system is:

An LP12 with Kore, Radikal, and an Aro. Cartridge is a Dynavector 20x2L -- the two small boxes just behind the 'table are a Dynavector SUP-200 step-up transformer and P75 phono stage.

Digital duties are courtesy of a Sonore ultraRendu and Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 power supply, which are connected to my latest addition: an RME ADI-2 DAC, which is pretty damn great. These items are sitting on the "CCCP" book, which is a photo collection of bizarre Soviet architecture. Beneath the book is my trusty, ever-faithful CD5, which is goosed by a Hicap 2 on the lower left.

Amp is a 282, CB Hicap with Avondale TPR4, and 250.2. On the far left is a KingSound headphone amp.

Speakers are the Devore Fidelity Gibbon 8, which are made just across the East River from me in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

All the best to you and yours for a great 2019!

--Joe
YPTxVvt

Joe - great to see where the Dynavector step-up ended up! Looks great- no doubt all sounds fantastic too!

Richard

Hi McN,

Hifi side is all vintage Yamaha.

YP-D9 turntable + Yamaha MC-1x cart
CD-2 CD player
T-2 tuner
KX-1020 Cassette
C-2 preamp
B-2 amplifier
NS1000XW speakers.

That makes me sound slightly obsessed! I think I might be, but it’s just a great system and all works together so well... I have no desire to change.

Audiolab 8200AP Processor
Audiolab 8200P amp
Infinity Modulas rears.
BK Xxls subwoofer

That’s it, oh apart from the Sound Factory modular stands which I just adore.

Igv7jfF.jpg
very nice!

Joe - great to see where the Dynavector step-up ended up! Looks great- no doubt all sounds fantastic too!

Richard

Thank you, Richard! It's a lovely thing. My only regret is that due to space considerations on my rack, I have to put it behind the turntable where no one can see it!

As an addendum to my earlier post, here's a shot of the Dyna SUT, along with the Dynavector P75 mk4 phono stage I got this week. It's a notably better than the mk1 version I had; well worth a listen.

lUjh8kE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back