advertisement

System pics 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice deck :), but if you playing ‘final turntable’ you want the Phonosophie version of the Thorens which is truly superb - really very underestimated despite a semi cult status. It’s biggest problem is that it looks just like a very similar Thorens, but it really does perform amazingly. Fit it with a Naim Aro and rebuilt Karma or Troika and retire in the knowledge that whatever others are using (at any price) you are in the same ballpark (which makes the whole combo a bit of a bargain, relatively).

Pretty happy with it how it is to be honest, I've no interest in faffing with it, I could have kept the LP12 if I wanted to do that! :)

TD 2001, very interesting TT. Not easy to find

You really should get a listen to the PT1 with the Zeta.
I'd certainly want to read about the comparason.

@InSides good photos from a photographic point of view - are you a pro by any chance? Also what wood did you use for the cabinet fronts that has that large a grain, sequoia?

@InSides good photos from a photographic point of view - are you a pro by any chance? Also what wood did you use for the cabinet fronts that has that large a grain, sequoia?

Hah, no pro - not by a long shot. I just like close up shots and have learned how to employ filters to make photos look more appealing to me.

When you say cabinet fronts - do you mean the console to the left of the speaker? That is walnut, locally sourced. But has been cut closer to the core I believe, and was a fairly large trunk.

Well, good question, not much I think. The one I’m thinking of is the Phonosophie 3 which was based on the Thorens TD2001. Replace the mat with a felt one, remove the arm. The one I’m thinking of was the Naim certified one with an Aro and upgraded power supply.

Hah, no pro - not by a long shot. I just like close up shots and have learned how to employ filters to make photos look more appealing to me.

Well you put the rest of us to shame. I'll have to dig me SLR and tripod out, although my kit is just endless variations on black boxes. Hmmmm.

Well, good question, not much I think. The one I’m thinking of is the Phonosophie 3 which was based on the Thorens TD2001. Replace the mat with a felt one, remove the arm. The one I’m thinking of was the Naim certified one with an Aro and upgraded power supply.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about how the Phonosophie 3 differs from an LP12/Aro. I have the latter but have always liked the looks of the former!

It has been a while since I have posted to this thread. First off, the listening room:

My system, with the exception of the SUT, is unchanged from last year:

SME 20/2, SME V, Audio Note Io Gold and Audio Note ANS6c SUT. The unit was built for me by Stump Furniture. Inside the unit there is an Audio Research LS26 line stage, an Allnic HS 1500 SE phono stage (I use the MM input with the SUT), an Aesthetix Pandora DAC, a Lumin D1 streamer and the energiser for my Stax headphones

There is also a Keith Monks Discovery One RCM and some spare kit (Rank Concept Monoblocks). Speakers are ART Alnico 8 in Walnut.

The amps are Pass Labs Aleph 2. It is very rare that the radiator needs to be turned on.

In the last week or so I have changed my pre and power amplifiers. My power amps are now a lovely new-to-me pair of Pass Labs XA100.5 which are rather larger than the Alephs:

4a924d7418c3bb479f070950b6a83490ebdc815b_2_1338x998.jpeg

Insert your own joke about subwoofer on custom plinth.

I also replaced the Audio Research LS26R line stage I was using with a Pass Labs XP-20:
143fc77db8a712b0e37f2461addb4d79c8278bea.jpeg

Everything else is as before. I am quite pleased with what the new kit adds (including heat of course).

Keep us posted, I'm really curious about those, nearly bought one a couple of times.

To be honest my whole set up now has never sounded so good, and that is using what I initially thought would be a temporary cart until I can afford to upgrade (Eroica LX). It has a lovely balance of being open and airy without being strident at any point, same goes for the warmth and body, there's enough of it without ever getting bloated or slow.

I'd describe the 2001 as decent upgrade over a bog standard LP12 I've come from.

If you're ever this way you're welcome to have a listen.

To be honest my whole set up now has never sounded so good, and that is using what I initially thought would be a temporary cart until I can afford to upgrade (Eroica LX). It has a lovely balance of being open and airy without being strident at any point, same goes for the warmth and body, there's enough of it without ever getting bloated or slow.

I'd describe the 2001 as decent upgrade over a bog standard LP12 I've come from.

If you're ever this way you're welcome to have a listen.
The LP12 with the Mission 774? Must be good.

And cheers, will certainly give you a shout if I’m in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back