advertisement

System pics 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not intended as a criticism, I’m just surprised you didn’t arrange for the grain of the wood to run in the same direction as the arm to mount position, rather than at ninety degrees.

No worries, I didn't at any point perceive it as criticism. As a matter of fact, I did a few crude vibration measurements using a homebrew rig (ADXL335 accelerometer + Arduino) but I need to dig for the measurement results (close to 1.5 years back).

Would be interesting if you can find them. However, I can see why it may be beneficial to have the grain running as you do. Personally, I use an armboard that is made from two pieces of aluminium, but bonded together by a viscoelastic layer to form a true constrained layer construction. The top part makes contact with the arm and the lower layer makes contact with the chassis - the two separate layers only make contact through the bonding layer.

Last edited:
the two separate layers only make contact through the bonding layer.

I have entertained the possibility of experimenting with a similar concept, but have yet to acquire the proper tooling to finish "sandwiched" materials to a satisfactory finish.

Have you perchance a photo of your armboard you can refer me to?

Yes, I will root it out for you (I think I have a series of photos). However, the whole relationship between the armboard and chassis is quite different in my deck compared to yours. I’m sure that a similar technique could be applied though. I should add that earlier prototypes were CNC milled but the version I use now was hand made and looks just like the CNC version.

That looks awesome, much appreciated.

On my deck, I might need to do something slightly different, as the armboard is pressed on both top (closing threaded cap) and bottom (tonearm pillar). Will need to devise a more complicated isolation mount.

Thank you (it was a bit of a pain to drill out and file). It’s made from 2 layers of 4mm aluminium plate. Like you I have experimented quite widely in this area. If you are interested I can see how you could achieve similar, even with your different mounting requirements.

Love the minimalism of it all, especially the shelf unit and 'floating' cupboard. Were these your own creation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back