advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a suggestion... I found the Obelisks to have a much better defined soundstage when not toed in. Very good TT BTW, where did you get the lid?

And perhaps try a JVC AX-Z1010TN with them, very cheap at the moment. :)

I got the second Sound Factory stand assembled and had a system reorganisation - together with the addition of the KX1020 cassette deck. The Yamaha journey is now complete! What next I wonder.... ;)

Excuse poor phone pics - I’ll replace with DSLR when I’ve found it!

NQA6r1o.jpg

ziF07Cz.jpg

On left

Yamaha YP-D9 with MC-1x cart
Audiolab 8200ap
Audiolab 8200p both for AV obvs.

On right

Yamaha C-2 pre
Yamaha B-2 power
Yamaha T-2 tuner
Yamaha KX1020 cassette
Yamaha CD-2
Sky Q

My suggestion is you need lots more LP's :D:cool:

Just a suggestion... I found the Obelisks to have a much better defined soundstage when not toed in. Very good TT BTW, where did you get the lid?

And perhaps try a JVC AX-Z1010TN with them, very cheap at the moment. :)

They sound better toed in here in my room, the lid came with the TT when I bought so have no idea where the previous owner got it.

Not a big fan of the jap amps but even then I don't think it would come close to the Pass Alephs.

Not a big fan of the jap amps but even then I don't think it would come close to the Pass Alephs.

I dunno the Nakamichi PA-7 might, but it is based upon a Pass design, also the Luxman M-06a (also 100w class A)...and many of the best Japanese amps weren't released outside of Japan. Great looking amps by the way!

Think the Nak was a licenced version of his Threshold amp design.

Nelson Pass said that of all his amps the Aleph 2 was by far his favourite.

My suggestion is you need lots more LP's :D:cool:

Haha. Yes it looks that way doesn’t it! LPs are still in storage having just moved House - the vinyl in the picture is what I had bought since packing things up a month before!! :) Vinyl is now unpacked and being played.

Cart is a Audio Techica LR-3. Not especially posh and probably on a par with an AT-95e, although I find the LR-3 is a bit more refined. I'm actually thinking about a new cart and I'm wondering whether the Acutex 410e might be a good budget alternative...

Hi. I like it, I was using a Trichord Dino previously saying that, I've not had a really good chance to compare properly
I'm using the Dino (mk I) for about 15 years. For the price I bought it (used) I haven't find anything better. I also have a Cambridge Audio 640P but I prefer the Trichord. I have compared it with the phono stages of intergrated amplifiers, a few M. Firdelity and a Rotel and the Dino was clearly better in everything. I'm using a low MC cartridge.

Approximating omnidirectional within the constraints of the design/tech surely, they're not a pulsating sphere floating in free space!

Chaps

I have experimented with the positioning of my Arcs and for normal use with the tuner they are about 11"" from the wall and are 7ft apart being either side of a fire place.

For the serious listening (CD or TT) I pull them out about 18" from the wall, still about 7ft apart and they really do sound good. I have never experimented with toe in and I shall give it a go tomorrow. I really was under the impression that omnidirectional speakers were unaffected by toe in. The best test is your ears, so let's see what happens.

Regards

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back