advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Built for me by Susan Harper. See http://susanharperfurniture.co.uk. The CD rack and LP storage all have 'press to open' latches which make me grin every time I open them. And it may be psychosomatic, but everything seems to sound better as well - perhaps reduced susceptibility to feedback or other vibrations?

Nice to see a 101 still in use. Is that a Klyde feeding the Imcos module?
Yes its a rather elderly (2000) Klyde that I was last checked out year or two back. I'd like to try a Krystal at some point. In 2001 I auditioned a then top of the range 502 pre-amp and the 101/IMCOS was indistinguishable from it. The power amp is a 103D, serviced by Chris Coaster a couple of years ago. Again, I auditioned a new Benchmark AHB2 power amp recently, that would match the DAC2, and while it was very good, there was only a marginal change over the old Meridian.

The box on the left is an Aria Piccolo music server that I'm gradually burning all my CD's to. Its driven by an iPad app which my wife likes, as she can use her iPad to turn down or change my music if its getting too loud...

Here’s my current main system;

I’ve had the Pathos TT amp, and the Quad ESL63s for about 15 years now. I brought the TT down to the Pathos factory in Vicenza for a service about 5 years ago, and had the ESL63s serviced by Quad about 12 years ago, but they have been pretty much trouble free. The turntable is a Lumley Heliosphere, with an AudioMods Series 5 micrometer arm, and a Grado Platinum 1 cartridge, going through a WhestTwo dual mono phono stage. The CD player is a Wadia 301, which I’ve also had for about 15 years. There’s also an Apple TV for streaming through a Tascam DA-3000 DAC / recorder. And some Mana stands.

I need to do some dusting!

Is that where the original 'Pink Fish' got to after all these years?! It looks splendidly fossilised! Very nice vinyl player, btw.

NOS Reflektor 6h30p-DR tubes for the Modwright.

This is by far the biggest difference in sound I've heard between different makers of the same tubes, the improvement is quite staggeringly good.

5d6f14eb86775f11fcb86d0808b9834b81354147.jpg

Where did you find them 'Big'?

On ebay, don't think the guy realised they are reflektors. When they arrived gave them a proper check over and they are genuine NOS from the 80's for around half the going rate.

AZ4Y1080.jpg

I shall upload some better pics when the new power amp arrives.
For now, this is a Gyro SE/SMEiV, OC9ii into Ian's (Whaleblue) Leema Agena
Audio Research Reference 3
Dared 300b power amps
Linn KDS Renew 1

The speakers , out of shot, are PMC 20-22.
Like Tony L, I listen very near field at my desk.
Would be good to try some Falcon LS3/5As

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back