advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have a very stern word with your kids if I was you, they seem to have painted your shoes while you were napping.

post-35640-0-67422100-1461777389.jpg

Tony: don't think you listed a deck in the record shop rig, is it still the Technics?

Somewhat ironically given it is in the record shop room it is CD only! The record cleaner is in the main system room so if anything looks in need of a clean and play-grade I do it down there on the TD-124. The Technics is sitting doing nothing. I actually have way too much stuff sitting around doing nothing. I may think about clearing some stuff out and reinvesting in stuff I'll use, e.g. shifting the Technics/3009 could pay for a pair of the new and apparently very nice K55G mid drivers for the La Scalas, and I'd use them every day. Similarly if I brought myself to move the 301/M2-10 there is enough there to get a really serious arm and cart onto the 124 (I rather fancy a restored Ortofon RM309 or 3012 and an SPU, maybe even a Decca arm and cart setup). Decisions, decisions... I've still got the 34/306, which is actually a great spare amp to have so I'll keep that, plus the Sony amp, plus some T-amps, plus a Lenco L70, three spare 3009s... the list goes on!

post-35640-0-25922000-1451860494.jpg

I should ha stopped here.
Classe ssp800 preamp
Classe 5200 power amp
Jamo concert 11 front and surround
Jamo concert 8 center

Jamos are my childhood dream and i am really happy that i had them.

I'm sorry -- which is your current system? I'm just curious, because it seems you've gone away from a full Home Theater in favor of two-channel. I'm thinking of doing the same, since I rarely run the Home Theater anymore, but I listen to music quite a lot.

I'd have a very stern word with your kids if I was you, they seem to have painted your shoes while you were napping.

Say what you like, Lebowski, but you should know a pricey pair of hand-died leather shoes when you see one.

they may not be a pair of John Lobbs, but they're freaking expensive.

I'm sorry -- which is your current system? I'm just curious, because it seems you've gone away from a full Home Theater in favor of two-channel. I'm thinking of doing the same, since I rarely run the Home Theater anymore, but I listen to music quite a lot.

I don't think he knows with that much stuff ;)

That is my problem too as music is very important to me but mrs loves multichannel stereo and movies.

Currently i have a marantz 7702 and quad qmp monoblocks and qsp for the rear.
I have jamo concert 8 as surround and harbeth shl5+ as fronts but i may change them for monitor audio gs20 as they are a bit shinyer in the higher end and a slightly bit more exciting which is really appealing to me.
I have an oppo 105d as source.

For stereo i use a hattor preamp.

I would love to stick to an all in one system but after listening to the hattor i am afraid it is not possible anymore unless i find another classe ssp800 preamp. As far as i remember it was pretty good in stereo but im not so sure anymore if it is good enough;)

Thanks for the reply. I don't really have the space or inclination to have two separate setups, and since we don't watch movies in surround very often anymore I was thinking of simplifying/upgrading to two channel primarily. I could still run the blu-ray through the two channel stereo for extra oomph or even get (gasp) a soundbar for movie duty!

Flatpopely, could you give a b/down of your system pls.

Looks nice.

Sources
Linn LP12/Cirkus/RubiKon/Radikal - Linn Ittok LVII(Serviced at Linn with SE parts + SE counterweight)/ASAKA (Audiotech stand)

Sony CDP338ESD

PC/Win10 - Creative X-Fi HD

Tivoli DAB

AMP

JVC AX-Z1010TN

Speakers
Linn SARA - professional restored by YNWOAN (NOS Tweeters)
External crossovers in NAIM shoe-box cases - Linn K20 cable
Linn SARA Stands
Rebuild thread:- http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=178

Connections
Linn BLACK (Line in/out X-Fi) (Tivoli > AMP)
Epiphany Acoustics AtratusIII (CD > AMP)
Maplin optical cable (X-Fi > AMP K2 DAC input)

Sources
Linn LP12/Cirkus/RubiKon/Radikal - Linn Ittok LVII(Serviced at Linn with SE parts + SE counterweight)/ASAKA (Audiotech stand)

Sony CDP338ESD

PC/Win10 - Creative X-Fi HD

Tivoli DAB

AMP

JVC AX-Z1010TN

Speakers
Linn SARA - professional restored by YNWOAN (NOS Tweeters)
External crossovers in NAIM shoe-box cases - Linn K20 cable
Linn SARA Stands
Rebuild thread:- http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=178

Connections
Linn BLACK (Line in/out X-Fi) (Tivoli > AMP)
Epiphany Acoustics AtratusIII (CD > AMP)
Maplin optical cable (X-Fi > AMP K2 DAC input)

Thanking you kindly.

It sent me promptly on a journey of discovery re. the JVC amplifier. A lovely looking unit and I read your review and amp history of 2015.

A forward thinking product it was and I am not at all surprised it still can hold its own with very elevated company today.

Incidentally, there is an apparently new/boxed one for sale in Canada. Cheap it aint :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-FX-1010TN-SUPER-DIGIFINE-Stereo-Tuner-NEW-IN-BOX-/311648068890?hash=item488fac251a:m:mqjxWPlghT_SrkypmIObOAQ

I have a Sony STR-DB930 in storage. My cyrus system suits my current rather confined living arrangements better. - This Sony is something I'll unlikely sell.
An AV product, I removed most things video. Like the JVC it has digital conversion and a superb amplifier and phono stage. There are reviews/blogs which describe the sound better than I could but one chap preferred it to his Conrad Johnson. The innards of the Sony are lovely with the highest quality parts as per the JVC. Even the speaker terminal connecting cables are nice large gauge OFC. The volume control connection cabling has been trimmed to a minimum. It sounds like a good valve amplifier just with more power. It was a show product for Sony to brag about what can be done. Sadly, they didn't carry this on in later models and to this day I don't think they made many at any price that look better inside. Unfortunately, the outside looks like any other AV receiver and lacks any distinguishing features such as present on your JVC.

Anyway, sorry to get carried away. I envy you. Must read up a bit about those Sara's.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's a beast of an amp !. Restored Sara's look superb :cool:.

I followed the thread on the Audioflat forum. Fantastic attention to detail.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. Andrew wanted that Mk1 look with the square front edges but the performance of early Mk2s (I'm not sure that is the correct nomenclature). So everything that was great has been maintained and everything that could potentially be improved has been improved in a (hopefully) sympathetic manner. The end result has proven to be really very successful, all the guts, verve and swing of the original but with a bit more insight, sophistication and (you wouldn't believe it) subtlety :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back