advertisement

System Pics 2016 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very beautiful system Ross. Interesting to see MCX pre used without the rest of the MCX-series components. I guess there's nice synergy even without them?

The MCX pre works very well with the 16 Monos. It still retains enough of the Farlowe-era Exposure DNA, with the trademark Exposure warmth, speed and musicality, but with greater resolution. I was using the 21 pre before this, which is undoubtedly very good, but I just felt that the 16 Monos needed something a little better, and the MCX was the obvious choice.

Interestingly, I recently borrowed a Naim 252/Supercap from a dealer to compare. The 252 was a bit more resolving and a bit smoother, but was also curiously colourless and uninvolving. I thought the MCX was a much more musical preamp.

I'd be interested to hear the MCX power amps, but getting a demo locally is just not possible, and I really don't need giant 300 watt amps in my small listening room to drive my Harbeths. The 16 monos are big enough. But if Exposure ever produce a smaller stereo MCX power amp (and I have suggested this to Tony Brady) I would be all over it.

Fab system Ross - who made the stands?
It's funny, I get this question every time I post a picture. The stands were bought from a local store here in Sydney about a decade ago, and I understand were made locally, but I have no idea who made them or whether they are still available. They do look good and sound better than the Hutter racks that preceded them.

i'd love to hear about the differences between the Kuzma and the RP8

This is an interesting comparison, and will probably end up as a fairly long-winded post, so please forgive my extended ramblings in advance.

First, I need to talk a bit about the RP8. This turntable sat alongside an LP12/Keel/Ekos SE/Radikal for about a year, until I noticed that the LP12 sounded a bit odd, and the RP8 was actually a bit more musically satisfying. I had tried a number of expensive cartridges on the LP12 to get it more to my liking but it never quite gelled. (Yes, it was set up correctly by the local LP12 guru.) When I put the same cartridges on the RP8 into the same phono stage, I was amazed that the humble RP8 sounded noticeably better than the full spec LP12 at about 6 times the price. It was tonally more natural, had a better sense of space, timing and speed stability was better, and it was even more rhythmic than the LP12, which was promptly sold.

I thought that if the RP8 was this good, the RP10 must be even better. But it wasn't. While initially impressive - and I can see that it would sound more impressive than the RP8 in a dealer's showroom - it quickly became tiring and unsatisfying. It had a big, dramatic sound but was also bright and hard, and put me on edge every time I listened to it. While I know I am in the minority in thinking the RP8 is better than the RP10, I am not the only one. I have had discussions with others on this and other forums where a few people have similarly expressed the view that the RP10 and P9 had this bright, hard sound, probably attributable to the ceramic platter. So I bought and then quickly sold the RP10.

I loved the RP8 and had tweaked it a bit, as described above - the Incognito re-wire, the heavy tungsten counterweight, Swagman linear PSU and Blue Horizon mat. (A quick note on mats: I have tried just about every mat out there - achromat, ring mat, mystic mat, herbie's, and many others - and never found one that improved on the stock felt mat on the Rega or Linn. That was until the Blue Horizon mat, which is the only one which in my opinion is an improvement. This is because - unlike all of the other mats I have tried - it does not alter the tonal balance (sometimes dramatically) or the character of the deck, but retains the Rega sound and balance, and just lowers the noise floor and improves resolution.) The Rega in stock form is excellent, but these changes have improved it incrementally. Also, ditching the shrill Apheta in favour of a better cartridge, such as a Benz Glider or Ortofon Cadenza is a major transformation.

But the RP8 is not perfect. It can sound a tad light and glassy, and like all Regas, its dynamics are driven by its somewhat metronomic sound. These are not necessarily criticisms, just observations of the Rega sound. I could certainly have lived with the RP8, but knew there was better out there.

After reading the unanimously glowing reviews, I bought the AMG Viella, again at about 6 times the price of the RP8. Again, it was initially impressive - and indeed it is a very good sounding turntable. But it is one that appeals to the head rather than the heart. In direct comparisons with the RP8, the Viella had better imaging, more depth, more tonal accuracy, better speed stability ... but it was just not emotionally engaging. And the RP8 was still just as enjoyable and satisfying, even compared with the vastly more expensive AMG. So I sold the AMG and chalked it up as another expensive mistake.

But I wanted to try one more turntable. I now knew going to the high end of the market could be a mistake, and that it was more about synergy and preferences than throwing money at the problem. I knew I didn't want a high mass turntable, with a platter like a wedding cake, or that weighed more than I do, and certainly nothing blingy or shiny. I didn't want anything that could only be set up by a local wizard and required regular tuning (sorry, LP12). It had to be small-footprint, easy to set up, easy to move, functional in appearance and based on solid engineering. And, of course, good sound quality.

With those criteria, the Kuzma Stabi S was the obvious choice. I chose the Stogi Reference arm, rather than the more usual Stogi S unipivot, since I had not much liked the unipivots I have previously owned (Moerch UP4 and Naim ARO), and didn't want to deal with damping troughs. I also chose the version with external electronic PSU, since (as well as being an upgrade) I now have plenty of 45 rpm reissues. This took the price to about the same as an RP10/Apheta so, while not inexpensive, it is certainly nowhere near top spec LP12 or AMG pricing.

The Kuzma arrived a few days ago. Please take these comments with a grain of salt, because I am almost always enthusiastic about a new component. But I am very enthusiastic about the Kuzma turntable. It does improve on the RP8 in the ways that I had hoped, as well as others. Compared with the RP8, the sound of the Kuzma is deeper, more three dimensional, more solid, more tonally rich and more dynamic. But where the RP8 achieves its dynamics through a sense of fleetness of foot, and metronomic propulsion, the Kuzma does this through deep and powerful bass and solidity of sound. Tracks that I have known well from records I've had for 20 years have startled me with their dynamics on the Kuzma.

I mentioned above the (very) slight glassiness of the RP8. There is no such sensation with the Kuzma. Notes have substance, solidity, and texture. But they also have rich tonal colour. The effect is like turning down the gamma on your computer monitor and then dialing up colour saturation to 150%. Tonal colours are deep and vibrant, more so than I have ever heard from a record player.

While I can imagine that the sense of lightness and speed of the Rega may still be preferred by some people, for me the Kuzma is better in every criterion I consider important. But I will still keep the RP8 - it is still a great turntable and will use it either in another system, or with a mono cartridge.

Love the look of the Stogi but the record filing system, I'll have to get one. Beautiful looking system, all the best.

RossB - A very informative assessment of your past tt's. Hopefully you will post more often time permitting.

Hi Ross - great to see your (fabulous) system! Your comments regarding the Kuzma are interesting: it's one of the belt drive options I would seriously consider if I ever moved my L-07D on.

The MCX pre works very well with the 16 Monos. It still retains enough of the Farlowe-era Exposure DNA, with the trademark Exposure warmth, speed and musicality, but with greater resolution. I was using the 21 pre before this, which is undoubtedly very good, but I just felt that the 16 Monos needed something a little better, and the MCX was the obvious choice.

Interestingly, I recently borrowed a Naim 252/Supercap from a dealer to compare. The 252 was a bit more resolving and a bit smoother, but was also curiously colourless and uninvolving. I thought the MCX was a much more musical preamp.

I'd be interested to hear the MCX power amps, but getting a demo locally is just not possible, and I really don't need giant 300 watt amps in my small listening room to drive my Harbeths. The 16 monos are big enough. But if Exposure ever produce a smaller stereo MCX power amp (and I have suggested this to Tony Brady) I would be all over it.

Very interesting findings. Thanks for sharing.

I've been a Naim guy for long time but it'd be interesting to audition Exposure gear in future. My friend has the full MCX stack with some ATC's and his system sounds lovely. It's too expensive for me though and I couldn't fit them in my rack either. Also I don't need CDP, I need stand alone DAC for my PC connection. I got this idea from your system, MCX pre with 3010 mono power amps, I wonder how this combo would sound if source would still be Naim DAC.

I've been a Naim guy for long time but it'd be interesting to audition Exposure gear in future. My friend has the full MCX stack with some ATC's and his system sounds lovely. It's too expensive for me though and I couldn't fit them in my rack either. Also I don't need CDP, I need stand alone DAC for my PC connection. I got this idea from your system, MCX pre with 3010 mono power amps, I wonder how this combo would sound if source would still be Naim DAC.

The Naim Dac works well with an Exposure system. I have one, with a Teddy Pardo XPS, and it is excellent, although I prefer my Metrum Pavane. I haven't heard the 3010 power amps (would love to do so), but in theory they should be a good match with the MCX preamp.

All change at Tibbsville. Trying out another room, this one much smaller at 3m x 4m, but already (after I'd got the Gales in the right spot) starting to sound very promising. Late night sessions with the volume right down are much better than before, with a good solid image and presence still there despite the low SPL. Kicking it out loud this morning with some Keith though. Redecoration, new racks etc still to come.

31068879884_334736032c_c.jpg

Mr Tibbs

Pretty satisfied with the current system:

Photo-2016-12-27-15-31.jpg

Visaton B200 wide-rangers in 20l CB, supported by a Velodyne 800i from 70Hz downwards. Caspian M1 recapped with Kendeils and Wimas, Artaxerxes X fed by a properly implemented symmetric PSU. Gatorized Caiman for DAC duties.

Moderately modified Planar 3 (all reversible), RB300 with accepted mods (adjusted bearings, inner cabling, OL counter weight). Ortofon Vitesse retipped with Shibata stylus. Motor fed by dedicated PSU.

Linn K20, Reson NF, no fancy power chords.

All change at Tibbsville. Trying out another room, this one much smaller at 3m x 4m, but already (after I'd got the Gales in the right spot) starting to sound very promising. Late night sessions with the volume right down are much better than before, with a good solid image and presence still there despite the low SPL. Kicking it out loud this morning with some Keith though. Redecoration, new racks etc still to come.

31068879884_334736032c_c.jpg

Mr Tibbs

Looks good Mr T! what's driving the Gales? Looks like a 250 in there…. or maybe that's a SCap.

Very snazzy stands there Mt Tibbs. :)

Thanks Gaius. Made them as a quick fix for the 401s until something better came along. 7 years later and nothing better has come along ;)

Looks good Mr T! what's driving the Gales? Looks like a 250 in there…. or maybe that's a SCap.

Thanks Gary. 102/Hi/250 on the floor platforms, Karik/Numerik on the table. LP12 on Audotech wall shelf to my LHS. Really happy with the sound in this smaller room :)

Mr Tibbs

Pretty satisfied with the current system:

Photo-2016-12-27-15-31.jpg

Visaton B200 wide-rangers in 20l CB, supported by a Velodyne 800i from 70Hz downwards. Caspian M1 recapped with Kendeils and Wimas, Artaxerxes X fed by a properly implemented symmetric PSU. Gatorized Caiman for DAC duties.

Moderately modified Planar 3 (all reversible), RB300 with accepted mods (adjusted bearings, inner cabling, OL counter weight). Ortofon Vitesse retipped with Shibata stylus. Motor fed by dedicated PSU.

Linn K20, Reson NF, no fancy power chords.
nice diy cabinets and stands!

nice diy cabinets and stands!

Thanks, Mr Murphy - appreciated. The cabinet parts were CNC'd using black MDF (the thoroughly black stuff). However, black MDF without proper finish does not look right either, so I applied some vintage-style milk paint and carefully sanded off some edges to give the speakers a "used" look. A few layers of wax to seal the paint and that was it.

After a few speaker builds I was fed up with that painting business and just wanted a quick result my wife and I could live with. ;-)

Best,
Oliver

My headphones based system : P9/RB1000/Apheta > Ios > Linear > HD600

Cabling by Rega apart from a 16' Mogami replacement for the 'phones (Venus Audio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back