advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, I'm looking at some 242's to place on the wall behind my sofa to cut down on the reflections.

Interesting, I'm looking at some 242's to place on the wall behind my sofa to cut down on the reflections.

Are the 242s the shallower ones? Certainly worth considering room treatment for whatever issues you have, but can you pull the seat away a foot from the rear wall - I'm sure you know it can make a massive difference to bass. Having said that, what issue are you solving?

Bit messy at the moment unfortunately. Having a Pro Monitor shootout. And an Active V Passive shootout at the same time!

Two studio monitor behemoths PMC v Genelec.

Only one way to find out..... FIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!!
harry-hill-featured.jpg

WP_20150119_002.jpg

How's the shoutout going?

May end up with more than 1 set of speakers, gonna have fun playing with old 90s monitors. What I'd really like is to track down my old pair of Monitor Audio Studio 2s in piano red which I stupidly P/X'ed for some Proac R1SCs

May end up with more than 1 set of speakers, gonna have fun playing with old 90s monitors. What I'd really like is to track down my old pair of Monitor Audio Studio 2s in piano red which I stupidly P/X'ed for some Proac R1SCs

Ok sounds like a good idea. More hifi is better :)

Very nice Ian.

Out of interest, how far do you sit from the front grills of the speakers and how far out from the rear / side walls are they?

Lefty

Very nice Ian.

Out of interest, how far do you sit from the front grills of the speakers and how far out from the rear / side walls are they?

Lefty

2.7m from speaker grille to ears (so I'm 1.5m from the rear wall). The speakers are centred about 43cm from the sides (side to wall being just 25cm), and rear wall to grille is 75cm. GIK 244s with range limiters and diffusers are behind as you can see.

That's far too neat for me, but the kit looks interesting from what I can make out in your previous pic's. Black 301 with 12" SME? No idea of the speakers (nice and big !) and can't recognise the other kit either; and the second t/t????????

I like neat! 301 is a Classic Turntable Company re-engineered TT. The SME is a 312, with Troika. The speakers are active ATC 50s and the kit Leema Acoustics Pyxis pre, Agena stage and Stream CDP. There's a quiet HTPC there too, and a Cuinas DAC. The other TT is a little Roksan Radius 5.

There, wished you hadn't asked now I expect!

A lot of great rooms here thank you for the images - Just need to ask the wife to take over tall of the back room for good.

..I like neat! 301 is a Classic Turntable Company re-engineered TT. The SME is a 312, with Troika. The speakers are active ATC 50s and the kit Leema Acoustics Pyxis pre, Agena stage and Stream CDP. There's a quiet HTPC there too, and a Cuinas DAC. The other TT is a little Roksan Radius 5.

There, wished you hadn't asked now I expect!

Au contraire (as Dell-boy would have said) ! Didn't realise the new ATC 50s were so big and I wonder what the 100s look like if they still do them.:). T/T rather different; nice ! I'd imagine (only imagine, mind) that the presentation tends towards 'take no prisoners' and I doubt that warm and cuddly doesn't quite fit the neat and tidy image either.:)

2.7m from speaker grille to ears (so I'm 1.5m from the rear wall). The speakers are centred about 43cm from the sides (side to wall being just 25cm), and rear wall to grille is 75cm. GIK 244s with range limiters and diffusers are behind as you can see.

Thanks Ian - that's remarkably close to the rear and side walls (which is encouraging) I could easily accommodate that, although the distance from the front grilles to the listening position might be a problem (unless I move my couch backwards).

Is there any reason you went for the 244s over the Tri-Traps? I will be investing in some bass trapping this year and was looking at the Tri-Traps.

Lefty

Thanks Ian - that's remarkably close to the rear and side walls (which is encouraging) I could easily accommodate that, although the distance from the front grilles to the listening position might be a problem (unless I move my couch backwards).

Is there any reason you went for the 244s over the Tri-Traps? I will be investing in some bass trapping this year and was looking at the Tri-Traps.

Lefty

Even in my smallish room I did try pulling them right out into free space, and found them to be no better overall than tucked back in as they are now. For me, seating position makes far more difference. I am using a little active correction for digital playback to knock back the 38Hz room node - though in tests it's only a small % of music I find is affected by this.

Tri-traps are probably the better option, but I wanted to be able to keep the speakers right back as they are, which I think would impinge on space the tri-traps would take up.

Have you settled on speakers? You're still welcome to come over for a listen, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back