advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks great, and sure you will enjoy for a long time. Did not realize just how large the Opera cdp was.

It is massive, I think there is another version that is smaller. I used to have it on a dedicated stand, but we ran out of space in the room to accommodate it.

To be honest, if it didn't sound so good, I'd have probably got something more diminutive.

I could see the cdp was at the bottom of the rack, not always easy access, but hopefully with a new phonostage this won't be getting used so often.

9FC56A13-C80E-4F85-8DE2-5366E9B9C4B9_zpslf1n7rfx.jpg

The first year in living memory that I've not felt the urge to buy anything whatsoever.

Sat here with Leftism pummeling its way through my very being I wonder just why I took so long to reach this point.

The Devialets are simply so practical, convenient and informative whilst the JBL's are my personal end game.

I don't really play vinyl anymore having transcribed my favourite albums to DSD files which I play via a Tascam recorder.

No hifi on the Christmas list in 2015.

What's the big wooden cheeked item in between the speakers?

'Twas a Linn AV5150 Subwoofer which was just doing phone stand duties.

You don't really need a sub in this room with the JBL's.

Good thought about the vinyl but it should be fine as heat rises and there's a fair gap. The window would worry me more with the sunlight.

Just enjoyed Machine Head. Why did loudspeakers become so effeminate?

Nice JBLs.

I used to run larger speakers (PMC IB2). In a large room, positioned well out into the room, they sounded amazing. Although visually they totally dominated the room and looked daft. When I moved to a smaller place those large speakers sounds crap in their new environment. So I downsized the speakers to medium size PMC to suit the available breathing space. The result was a wonderful sound again.

This is why medium to compact sized speakers are more popular. They also tend to make the room look a lot better, but that is of course personal.

Perhaps. Although the right result was achieved in the end with no fuss. Plus it was a vast improvement visually. Of course every room is different, so each to their own approach. I was simply replying to why smaller speakers are more popular. Also the price helps! :)

My Sony APR-5002 1/4 inch 2 track mastering deck, which (along with my Studer A807/II) has now supplanted my Platine Verdier as my primary listening source :)

Visible here - Sony APR-5002; PV with Schroeder Model 2/Allaerts MC1B & Hadcock 228/Decca C4E (GT Audio Battery PSU in background); TRON Seven Reference phono stage; TRON Meteor preamp (blue); Avantgarde Duos

This is why medium to compact sized speakers are more popular.

It's really nothing to do with a speaker's size - more it's intended use and tuning.

Large JBL's, Tannoys, Exclusives and other massive designs are hugely popular in Japan - where the average listening room is somewhat smaller even than the SE of England's new builds :)

The K2 for instance has a minus six db point of 45hz which is pretty much perfect for typically small rooms. It still has impressive gravitas however, something that I find sadly lacking in most of the smaller designs I've owned.

Merlin,

I love your JBLs. I've lusted over the 43xx series often seen in Japan but the newer JBLs are probably more neutral and overall better. What do you find in your JBLs that different from more 'conventional' speakers of the same size? I've often found JBLs to sound more lifelike in their rendition of dynamics (and dynamic range) than most other speakers.

Thanks Hock, I like the 43 Series as well and owned some 4338's before these. The new models like the K2's have Be diaphrams on the mid and treble which are to my ears sweeter than those on the old 4 Series monitors.

Also being three ways, well two ways plus super tweeter, the horn designs are somewhat more advanced making the upper reaches less coloured but equally dynamic.

As you say, the dynamics are great like many large semi horn loaded speakers (Tannoys, Klipsch etc). Where, for me, the JBL's differ from speakers I had before such as ATC, Focal and Proac to name just a few, is that that use a huge 15" paper cone to produce the fundamentals of virtually all instruments. This gives a gravitas and a "chewiness" to percussion, bass and the lower reaches of many instruments that I hear live but rarely through hifi systems.

These are basically a huge two way so they are also really coherent. I've heard monitors that image better if that's your thing but I'm more of a "tone" man. :)

The best way of describing them may be that if you grew up at school in the mid nineteen seventies to early eighties, these were the loudspeakers you always dreamed of owning and that probably got you staring into the hifi shop window on the way home from school :)

The old Album Muzzer! I'm probably showing my age and ignorance.

Cheers. The Marantz CD-73 is a first generation cd player. It's a lovely looking thing and sounds surprisingly good. Here's a better pic.

2015-09-30%2013.00.04_zpsqwnleg4e.jpg

Sorry for massive delay - thanks for the photo. I LOVE the backlit Compact Disc logo on the bottom-right of the fascia....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back