advertisement

System pics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another DAC on test. Mytek Stereo192-DSD.

I see you have the Metrum Octave DAC in your pic - how are you finding the sound (perhaps even when comparing against the Mytek)?

So far my taste very much favours the Gold Note DAC-7 after listening to many other DACs, but in due course I would like to hear the Metrum for its multibit NOS design.

Looking good, Hoops! :)

Could you perhaps tell me in which sonic way you prefer the Bryston to the Brio-r ?

I really did not get on with the Apollo-R, just sounded bright/splashy in the treble and boomy/odd in the bass, especially compare to the Sony S9000ES. Not heard so much of a change between CDPs before and it only lasted a weekend. I much preferred the Sony, much smoother all round.

The Brio-R did better than I expected though, sounded good but not brilliant. Bit rough round the edges but a lot more drive/balls than the Brio3 I had when I owned the SCM10s previously.

I can see where the Rega electronics get their lively/get-up-and-go sound from but I find it a little tiresome, I much prefer their speakers based on my experiences (R1, R3, R7, Alya and Jura)

The B60 sounds a lot better IMO and that's just on one evenings listening. Initially I thought it sounded a bit loose/soft in the bass until I went out the room and realised how loud I was listening, much higher than I usually did but it just sounded so un-strained in the mid-treble, its just the bass dynamics with the little 80dB SCM10s and 60wpc B60 has its obvious limits. As mentioned though, its louder than I would usually listen I just did not realise how loud it was!

At more normal volumes it sounds great, bass is great, tight and punchy with good depth, not the lowest but then that's the limitation of the ATCs again. There was no hint of grain/harshness in the treble I have had from the Brio-R and other SS amps, the B60 really is a gem of an amp if you dont NEED massive power. Runs quite cool as well which is nice, even after the hammering with some John Grant or Orbital at high volumes it was barely warm to the touch!

I would certainly urge you to give that Bryston a better placement than on top of a tuner dvd
Could you describe what you think the Brsyton does better than Brio except power

Any particular reason it would make a difference?

New year, not so much new gear :)

1-IMG_2832_zpsaba386fb.jpg

Digital - Squeezebox with Teddy PSU, Rega DAC
Analog - Rega RP6 with Exact and Heed Questar MM
Amplifier - Audionet SAM G2
Speakers - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand Symphony Edition

9-IMG_2821_zpsbb616309.jpg

3-IMG_2834_zps8fd0df34.jpg

Thanks Hoops, for your desciption regarding the Brio-R vs Bryston B60.

Personally I don't recognize most of your experience with the Brio-r, like:
"Bit rough round the edges","There was no hint of grain/harshness in the treble I have had from the Brio-R"

In fact, I also had/still like the Brio-r, but found it a bit too smooth/laid-back, lacking a bit of bite/sparkle.
(although that was mostly solved after trying different powerchords, speakercable and plugs)

@RoDa,

Great looking system, great pics. :cool:

Thank you Alco & hacker! :)

I tried to make the system both enjoyable and nice looking.
All black components in the Ikea rack and the Mozarts that are able to deliver the Rega sound to my ears.

1-IMG_2809_zps8a4693f0.jpg

Regards, RoDa

I see you have the Metrum Octave DAC in your pic - how are you finding the sound (perhaps even when comparing against the Mytek)?

So far my taste very much favours the Gold Note DAC-7 after listening to many other DACs, but in due course I would like to hear the Metrum for its multibit NOS design.

Metrum Octave plays in my system for over a year. It happened that I completely changed all the components of my system last year. Only Metrum survived. For me this is an exceptional DAC. Its main quality is the emotional connection with music, because of stunning articulation and intonations reproduction and great rhythm and tempo abilities.

If anyone is interested, here is my review of this device (long!):

http://www.hi-audio.ru/page/metrum-octave-recenziya-soundex.html

Although it is written in Russian, one can easily use the Google translator. It is far from ideal, but still can give a rough idea.

Mytek is a very decent machine. He does everything right. I believe it is the best Sabre DAC from my personal experience. It is also good in the same department as Metrum, yet Metrum still could not be reached. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to anyone who needs a decent and not very expensive DAC.

Back room, Mac,Amarra with Dirac's IRC room correction ,Bakoon integrated, and the new M2Tech Young /DSD dac.Loudspeakers are the Cessaro, 'Chopin'.

Keith

That fence is gonna need some treatment soon!
I'd love to hear those speakers though. Mind you, I'd also love to have the ££ to be in that market as well.
Nice.
Matt.

photo_zps189d2b3d.jpg

Last week I went back to proper sized loudspeakers.

Today the neighbours moved out. Fun for a short while. :)

Awful Darren. :)

In truth, they are the most revealing speakers I've owned to date. Will be more of a battle than expected to get them to integrate perfectly into the room though. A work in progress but they have seemingly endless potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back