advertisement

System pics 2014 part II

I get the impression we're looking at personal stuff that CK doesn't want to go into. Perfectly fine.

OTOH the Sooloos may have proved more attractive than whatever Raj was using before.

Did I mention how much I like the fact that instead of all that faffing around with libraries and so on, all I need to do is pop in a CD?

You seem to have a very similar taste in carts to myself. I am currently in the market for a change to my DV XV1-s and I wonder if i might PM you with some questions about your DV Karat and the 47 labs? Id very much appreciate it. Regards.

I get the impression we're looking at personal stuff that CK doesn't want to go into. Perfectly fine.

I know, I know, me and my big mouth.

Did I mention how much I like the fact that instead of all that faffing around with libraries and so on, all I need to do is pop in a CD?

I'm so lazy I never got round to ripping anything much. I've got some digital files related to Amazon purchases on the Macbook Pro, and I finally got these to play on the Devialet via the AIR application the other day. I'm not sure how, and they probably won't play next time I try, so mostly it's pop in a CD for me too. My only worry is the CD transport going tits-up and not being able to get it fixed, so I may pick up a spare via the classifieds if I remember.

CD arrived today, ripped to FLAC and transcoded to MP3 for my phone in a jiffy!

Before the Spotifisters jump on me, mine's the 1989 CD of Grace Jones' Nightclubbing, and you've only got the loud remaster to slum with!

Posters were just A2 ones off ebay, 100s of places selling them. Frames are the £12 jobbies from Ikea.
There is also one of the original 2001 Promotional Lenticular 3D postcards from 1968 on the far left.

Thanks - only just seen your reply

I've just gone from Naim/Neat to Meridian 7k2 and Sooloos. Everything is all integrated, no more proliferation of boxes and a nice full range sound.

There's not much talk of Meridian round these parts, not sure why.

H

The 25s and MIRUS are now with the dealer I got these from.
My signature is what the system is now :)

CD arrived today, ripped to FLAC and transcoded to MP3 for my phone in a jiffy!

Before the Spotifisters jump on me, mine's the 1989 CD of Grace Jones' Nightclubbing, and you've only got the loud remaster to slum with!

Some of us have the 1981 vinyl :D

Nice Clones Yuri, which monos are those, the 50 or 25 wpc? I had thought about trying those along with some single-driver speakers from Omega/Hoyt-Bedford, but holding back for now.

What speakers are you driving with these?

Thanks Tim!

They are 25W/ch. I have them on loan. I'm currently using them with my Spendors SP100R. Recently I've had Clones 25W integrated which I found fine but underpowered with my Spendors. Not so with these monos. Fast, transparent, detailed. The Akustyk passive pre (resistor ladder) is much better than their pre though. The current source is the Bricasti Design M1 DAC - fantastic device, what price tag reflects.

Bricasti by yurivv69, on Flickr

If you are interested in my findings about Clones here are the links to my reviews:

http://soundex.ru/index.php?showtopic=39907

http://soundex.ru/index.php?showtopic=39954

Although these reviews in Russian, you can use Google translator.

. . . and T40 rather than 3140), just never all at the same time! . . .

Rico,
When purchasing my nait I had a demo of the nat 01 and boy did it sound good. I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket but the lads in the shop were disinclined to sell me one unless I could guarantee to have the signal feed from something akin to a big Ron Smith type aerial. Alas as no external mounting of aerials, dishes or such were allowed on my apartment block I settled for something that would run on the feed from an internal aerial.

My choice was excellent considering the quality of the signal, but even though many years have passed I still would love to see and hear three shoebox like boxes on my SoundOrg equipment stands.

Yuri, thanks for the links and information, will read them when I have a bit of free time! Tim

You seem to have a very similar taste in carts to myself. I am currently in the market for a change to my DV XV1-s and I wonder if i might PM you with some questions about your DV Karat and the 47 labs? Id very much appreciate it. Regards.

Just in case you didn't get my message…here's your answer.

I haven't heard a DV XV1-s so I can't really compare it to my current list of carts. The Karat might be a backwards move for you but if the qualities of the Karat fall into line with your own preferences, then you might just fall for it. I doubt you will ever hear a faster sounding cartridge, but a little forewarning, matching the Karat to tonearm and phonostage was as frustrating as any cart I've had.

The 47 Labs is a great all rounder. None of it's qualities jump out at first listen but it has an ease and sense of scale that eludes most of the cartridges I've tried. I prefer the 47 Labs for most music but find the Karat better with Rock'n'roll.

Hope this helps!

advertisement

Back