advertisement

System clean up

irons1965

pfm Member
I've just pulled my system apart for a complete clean up- I have to hand a can of 'Deoxit' contact cleaner....Should I use it or not (I've heard conflicting views on such cleaners, some for and some against)?

Opinions please??

Make sure the "cleaner" doesn't include anything like Phosphoric acid (commonly used as a precious metal cleaner)

I've used Kontak to clean up grubby connections and haven't had any problems but who knows, I'm sure someone will tell me it's a really bad idea!

Hi

Personally, I wouldn't use the Deoxit. Although the product name suggests it removes oxidation, it does nothing of the sort (Don't believe me ? Take a well-used 1P or 2P coin and spray it with said product. The coin will not go back to clean metal). What it does do, however, is prolong the period over which oxidation will occur on clean metal by forming a barrier (silicone?) to air. This, ultimately, is another contaminant which pollutes the contact.

I use either isopropyl alcohol or the aformentioned Kontak. These solvents leave no residue after evaporation and clean air-borne contaminants. If you do this every 3-6 months this will keep your system performing as well as it ought!

Thanks to the three of you for the advice.

I have always been dubious about using contact cleaners due to the conflicting views.

I think I will go for the isopropyl (I do have a container in the cupboard) as suggested by OTL....I don't want to fart about too much with the hi-fi equipment side of things, there's music to be played....

I've just pulled my system apart for a complete clean up- I have to hand a can of 'Deoxit' contact cleaner....Should I use it or not (I've heard conflicting views on such cleaners, some for and some against)?

Opinions please??

Use it - you will feel better, because a cleaned system always sounds cleaner :)

It will make absolutely no difference to the electrical connections unless these are really badly corroded, in which case you'd want something more aggressive than Deoxit. The simple rubbing action of metal on metal for just about any audio connector does the job.

The situation is a little different for signal switching as the connections are sometimes 'open' for long periods and contact pressure low.

Cheers Robert.

I've gone ahead and purchased some Kontak, it seems a lot of people successfully use it.

advertisement

Back