advertisement

System around Falcon LS3/5as

rstloup

pfm Member
Hello everybody,

I'm moving in a week and am relocating to a space which is a bit different from my current one. For the past year I've had a pair of Kan IIs driven by a 42/110 which I've been very happy with. The new space, however, does not have a heavy rear wall to set-up the Kans. I found a pair of Falcon LS3/5as locally a few months back which I now figure might suit the new space better than the Kans. I'm seeking some advice on how to drive the Falcons. When I briefly tested the 3/5as with the 42/110, they obviously needed more power.

I have a Conrad Johnson PV10 pre from a previous system which I might want to make use of in the 3/5a system since it's a wonderful pre. If you were in my position, what would you do? I would preferably not want to spend more than $800 USD on whatever choice I make.

I would love a Leak or Quad II set-up, but it's a bit out of my budget.

A Quad 303 is not that far from Quad II as the prices are.
Nice on chamber music through 3/5a but very different to your Naim/Kan setup

I really like the PV10 and I’d unquestionably want to retain that. The $ currency suggests you are in the USA, I’d personally go home-grown if so. How about a second hand CJ power to match the PV10? I’d have thought some of the earlier solid state ones were well in budget. They are very well made indeed (mainly film caps etc) so should be a pretty safe bet. I’d expect them to sound stunning with the LS3/5A.

I have been running ls3/5a with a tube pre and a PS Audio S300 power amp. Superb synergy. I have Quad IIs too, and I would not want to be forced to made a choice between the two power amps.

advertisement

Back