advertisement

Synth Britannia Tonight! - Heads up

I loved this. I lived in Sheffield from '78-'81, during my some of my formative musical years, and a couple of my climbing partners were part of the Cabaret Voltaire gang, doing live rhythm section duties. I have particularly intense memories of a Human League 1.0 / Cabs. double-bill at Sheffield Uni. Good to see Richard H Kirk again and, alongside the rest queueing up to pay homage to Kraftwerk, Phil Oakley giving I Feel Love it's due, "We loved it, not in a camp, ironic way, but just because it was a great tune". Or words to that effect.

I like the way they took their time to tell the story. The decison to make it 90 min instead of then usual 60 min was the key. I hope their are more music documentaries like this to come. The acid test in our house is if my wife walks out in the first 5mins, that means I am going to like it.

BBC documentaries have really raised the bar lately IMO.

I liked the story of Depeche having to lug their synths by hand on the train to their first Top of The Pops appearance.

I have the Ferguson 3T13 radio cassette player as used on the set. My wife want me to chuck it - no way!

Shame they all still pronounced it "moooog" and not "Mowg" though...

If Vince Clarke calls it a mooog (being the best synth/pop writer, clearly to me anyway) then mooog it shall be imo.

Just watched this doco: huge nostalgia trip for me, all my formative years had this as a soundtrack, so to speak, so much so that a hit by some 'new obscure' 'kraftwerk' germans I remember wiating for on sun ev on R1 to press down 2 cassette buttons to record, amongst others!

I particularly liked that the doco ended with the following..

"..oasis- horror!"

Anyone see the Kraftwerk concert on BBC4 last night? Well worth looking out for a repeat.

Autobahn and the Model were fantastic. The rest started to grate a bit.

must admit i got really bored 3/4 thru 1st song man machine. id imagine as a live spectacle it'd be awesome for 20 mins.. then grate alot.

id prob enjoy more with a blindfold on & just listen to it after innitial thrill wore thin.

advertisement

Back