advertisement

SUT with P75 phono?

kevinrt

pfm Member
Thank you, Richard! It's a lovely thing. My only regret is that due to space considerations on my rack, I have to put it behind the turntable where no one can see it!

As an addendum to my earlier post, here's a shot of the Dyna SUT, along with the Dynavector P75 mk4 phono stage I got this week. It's a notably better than the mk1 version I had; well worth a listen.

lUjh8kE.jpg

Apologies for the title, I hit send before I was ready. Maybe one of the moderators could change it to ‘?SUT with P75 phono’. (done now. thanks to the mods)

I was looking at this yesterday and was curious as to why you would use a SUT with a phono stage which can be set up to suit MC carts? Is the P75 set for MM in this setup? Maybe trial and error shows this sounds best.

Kevin

Contentious argument but some (including me) are of the opinion that a SUT into a MM stage sounds better than a MC stage. It is more about what work better together and a lot can be trial and error. I've found that low impedance carts work better with a SUT.

@kevinrt -- Prior to having the Dynavector "chain" (20x2L cartridge, SUP-200 SUT, and P75 mk. 4 phono) I had a Zu Audio Denon 103 with the P75 (mk. 1 in this case). I liked the Denon better with an A23 SUT than into the P75 on its Dr. T setting.

Accordingly, I've only used the 20x2L with the Dyna SUT -- it sounded fantastic from the start, so I haven't had much of an urge to tinker. That said, it's a holiday weekend in the US coming up and I'm taking some time off, so I'll try to do a brief comparison on Friday.

You also may wish to check out this review in Stereophile, which does a compare and contrast with each of the Dyna items.

Ultimately a good MC input or head amp will beat most SUT's. Unfortunately many seem to take a cheapo phono stage and then a SUT worth more than the phono stage and then do the comparison...

It's probably as much to do with limited loading options for super low impedance mc carts than anything else. If you have a cart at an ohm or thereabouts and dont have options for exploring conjugate loading below ten ohms theres every likelihood you might not find the optimum electrical damping.

How many of you who prefer suts have actually measured your loading to see what optimal damping actually is?

@kevinrt -- Prior to having the Dynavector "chain" (20x2L cartridge, SUP-200 SUT, and P75 mk. 4 phono) I had a Zu Audio Denon 103 with the P75 (mk. 1 in this case). I liked the Denon better with an A23 SUT than into the P75 on its Dr. T setting.

Accordingly, I've only used the 20x2L with the Dyna SUT -- it sounded fantastic from the start, so I haven't had much of an urge to tinker. That said, it's a holiday weekend in the US coming up and I'm taking some time off, so I'll try to do a brief comparison on Friday.

You also may wish to check out this review in Stereophile, which does a compare and contrast with each of the Dyna items.

Thanks. It caught my attention as I have an LP12 with 20x2L and P75 mk4.

Kevin

advertisement

Back