advertisement

Surprisingly Good Rental (Hire) Car

MartinC

pfm Member
Just returned from a couple of weeks in Scotland, taking our daughter off to university. We rented a vehicle and I was really quite impressed, it was a Peugeot 2008. Once I realized that we were not being stiffed by the rental company giving us a 13 year old vehicle, I was really happy with the handling and general drivability and overall quality. Then I looked up the specs, and it is apparently a 3 cylinder 1.3l turbo and presumably being a rental, it had the base 100 HP version so it was quite amazing how refined and peppy the vehicle was even with 4 passengers. It even had a pretty decent sounding exhaust! The only negative was some engine vibration that presumably is inherent with a 3 cylinder layout?

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Scotland, taking our daughter off to university. We rented a vehicle and I was really quite impressed, it was a Peugeot 2008. Once I realized that we were not being stiffed by the rental company giving us a 13 year old vehicle, I was really happy with the handling and general drivability and overall quality. Then I looked up the specs, and it is apparently a 3 cylinder 1.3l turbo and presumably being a rental, it had the base 100 HP version so it was quite amazing how refined and peppy the vehicle was even with 4 passengers. It even had a pretty decent sounding exhaust! The only negative was some engine vibration that presumably is inherent with a 3 cylinder layout?

A 3 cylinder is inherently unbalanced but balancer shafts should make up most of this. My daughters Fiesta 1.0l 100bhp triple seems pretty well controlled for vibration but it too is peppy and eager.

Back in the day I worked on the launch of the Peugeot 405 and got to drive/thrash many of their cars and other models in the range around a racing car track ( or two ). I even "test drove" the Police Car version around the car parks of Birmingham NEC. The 205 rally cross version was something else - no back seats but a special engine back there instead.
An under-rated car company IMO.

I was given a base 2008 for a mountain biking holiday in Greece. With two chaps, two bikes and luggage in, it was a bit asthmatic on the crazy mountain roads we were doing, but smaller engined cars are the future and a good thing.

We got a vw Touran whilst my car was being repaired by the insurance in june and it did a camping holiday for 4 with a 1 litre engine and was surprisingly nippy unladen. The 1 litre Fiesta ecotecs are also a riot to drive, but none of these tiny engines are expected to do the sort of epic mileages we have come to expect from our cars.

The 1 litre Fiesta ecotecs are also a riot to drive, but none of these tiny engines are expected to do the sort of epic mileages we have come to expect from our cars.

My son has the 1l Fiesta with the 130hp or so engine and that does not feel like a 1l 3-cylinder to drive. If anything it reminds me of the 205 GTi I had as my first company car and I think has similar performance despite probably weighing twice as much.

We had a Peugeot 5001 on hire a few years ago, and it was terrible, the Satnav was peculiarly unfathomable.

Best we had was a Hyundai Tucson. Mitsubishi PHEV was good, but the battery a waste of time

my Dad's 1l ecotec can be fun to drive

Daughter has a 3 cyl 1.5 Petrol Mini Cooper. It is great fun after climbing down from my XC60 SUV (or the wifes' Qashqai come to that)

Holiday rentals - I always try to get one of the Berlingo type van conversions with sliding doors. Huge inside space for people and luggage and the doors are easy in supermarket car parks. They are also in a low category, so cheap to rent. Everyone in the family says they are embarrassing, which I think is hilarious, but they all admit the usefulness. Would never have one at home though!

advertisement

Back