advertisement

Surge protectors-why is it restricting sound?

Unplug or switch off as many household items as you can, all the stuff that doesn't strictly need to be on all the time (ie don't unplug the fridge unless you are looking for divorce) that wall wart that charges the AA batteries or the cooker hood that although isn't using power when sitting idle still has X-caps across when not switched off at the wall socket. Loads of little things that can be switched off some of which you might have even forgotten about.

That sound a bit better? It does doesn't it! Saved some electricity and an expensive upgrade too.

Mark

Do they still sell basic extension strips WITHOUT surge protection? I'm looking for one with a 3m flex on it...

Most of the budget ones in DIY depots and supermarkets will come without surge protection or just snip it out of the slightly more expensive ones if you are that way inclined.

Or go for something butch and long lasting, like from here, very good VFM:

http://www.olson.co.uk/

They will supply practically anything reasonable you could want on request.

Mark

Out of interest, does an individually switched extension strip also increase the impedance/resistance to the incoming supply? Just wondering if I'd be better buying a strip without switches.

Only if the switch contacts become carbonised through arcing (switch parallel suppression caps can sort that) or covered in gunk, if you don't strictly need them why have them? Btw the Olsen products above can be bought without the neon indicator which is good, neon is another little noise nasty you can hunt down and remove in your house.

Mark

Only if the switch contacts become carbonised through arcing (switch parallel suppression caps can sort that) or covered in gunk, if you don't strictly need them why have them? Btw the Olsen products above can be bought without the neon indicator which is good, neon is another little noise nasty you can hunt down and remove in your house.

Mark

Mark, would these be a good stop-gap in the mean time:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...ket-Extension-Lead-3m-12207536?skuId=12738243

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...sic-Extension-Lead-3m-12378901?skuId=12899529

The latter is only 10A rated, however I'd only be running my plasma TV and low-draw AV/computer equipment on it so should be ok (I'd be running my 2 amplifiers off the two-way strip).

The latter is only 10A rated, however I'd only be running my plasma TV and low-draw AV/computer equipment on it so should be ok (I'd be running my 2 amplifiers off the two-way strip).

If you want to make it 13Amp presumably all required is to take the lead off a dead washing machine (eg) and replace the mains in?

I wouldn't, it's likely moulded shut with crimp connections inside, better to buy a wire it yourself job from the start.

Bryston's brochure says a standard wall receptable have a higher nominal impedance.
"
BIT power isolation units present low impedance to any electronic
device that is connected to them. A Single 20 amp BIT PIU has
an output impedance of 0.2 ohms and can deliver 400 amp peaks
(instantaneous current). The 100 amp unit only has .04 Ohms
of output impedance. A typical 200 watt audio power amplifier
demands 10 amps RMS current from a 120 volt line (1200VA)
but may demand up to 50 amp instantaneous peaks. The standard
residential wall receptacle can’t supply the 50 amp peaks because
they typically have higher nominal impedance. A BIT 20 amp
PIU plugged into the same wall plug can supply these peak current
requirements quite easily
."

http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BIT_BROCHURE.pdf

Except that the 50amp peaks don't come from the mains, they come out of the reservoir capacitors, which then are refilled from several succeeding mains cycles.

S

Most of the budget ones in DIY depots and supermarkets will come without surge protection or just snip it out of the slightly more expensive ones if you are that way inclined.

Or go for something butch and long lasting, like from here, very good VFM:

http://www.olson.co.uk/

They will supply practically anything reasonable you could want on request.

Mark

Do these use internal busbars for the earth or a star/ hydra type o thing? Do folk see this as significant, of so has anyone modified a strip to this layout internally?

You mean the Olson ones? They are series wired live and neutral, the socket grounds and incoming ground are individually wired to a stud behind the face plate.

Mark

Except that the 50amp peaks don't come from the mains, they come out of the reservoir capacitors, which then are refilled from several succeeding mains cycles.

S

A cap input supply will pulse the mains input and thus the wiring from anywhere between 4 to 6 times the DC amp current draw at twice the mains frequency.

Unplug or switch off as many household items as you can, all the stuff that doesn't strictly need to be on all the time (ie don't unplug the fridge unless you are looking for divorce) that wall wart that charges the AA batteries or the cooker hood that although isn't using power when sitting idle still has X-caps across when not switched off at the wall socket. Loads of little things that can be switched off some of which you might have even forgotten about.

That sound a bit better? It does doesn't it! Saved some electricity and an expensive upgrade too.

Mark

This would only be correct if they were on the same circuit let alone the same phase.
Even then I am still having a hard time understanding how mains has such a big influence on the amplifier circuit.

This would only be correct if they were on the same circuit let alone the same phase.
Even then I am still having a hard time understanding how mains has such a big influence on the amplifier circuit.

I think this should be turned on it's head for a start.

What part of the transformer>rectifier>reservoir circuit provides total isolation of both common and differential mode noise from either side of the transformer?

The toroidal transformer is a wide-band device, with leakages and reactances, not to mention it as a pulsing ariel, so that is out.

Rectifier?

Rectifier diodes are also Varactors (resonators) by virtue of the series capacitance of the body of the diode, RF will pass by capacitance, so they are out.

Reservoir capacitors? Non-existing ideal capacitors would help, but in reality there is an inductance even in the fastest of reservoirs.

Not so infallable in the real world, power supplies pretty much cough up what they take in.

Is their something you know that has escaped audio knowledge thus far?

Mark

Is their something you know that has escaped audio knowledge thus far?

Mark

No not at all I am open to anything that makes sense, I just was intrigued and couldnt grasp the understanding. This may be something I will have to look into.

advertisement

Back