advertisement

Supertramp - crime of the century on vinyl - which one please?

Didn’t realise they’d done the Joe Jackson. That is a fabulous sounding album, the original UK copy which can still on occasion be fished out of £1 bins is a wonderful sounding record.

Didn’t realise they’d done the Joe Jackson. That is a fabulous sounding album, the original UK copy which can still on occasion be fished out of £1 bins is a wonderful sounding record.
I've got a few!

MoFis I’ve heard have had this kind of sucked-mid and boosted top & bottom character, a ‘smiley face’ EQ in mastering speak
All my MoFi SACDs (not many) are exactly like this and far from worth the price of entry.

The MoFi Crime of the Century has arrived - I'll give it a spin later and compare it to the other pressing I have.

The MoFi Crime of the Century has arrived - I'll give it a spin later and compare it to the other pressing I have.
Cleaned and cued up, I sat down to listen to this one earlier. I'm not going to tell you anything different to the reviews on here or Discogs, Hoffman etc - this is super quiet, tight bass, clear but not ear bleeding highs, separation and soundstage very good.

I've just put it on a second time to confirm what I heard the first time and it's not disappointing. MoFi got this one very right.

I no longer have mine which had original master recording emblazoned along the top so I don’t know which issue it actually was. I played it so much though that my question is: regardless of which one you have how many plays (assuming kept clean and properly set up cartridges ) does it take before the wear reduces its original audio quality?

I had an audiophile old friend over yesterday. He describes Crime of the Century as his favourite album. He is very fussy, and is quick to nitpick.
We both like the original U.K. pressings, but the Speakers Corner issue is quite something. Friend was quiet the whole way through both sides of the album. Some achievement.

they have gone up in price, which is annoying as buddy wants a copy now.

More images

Label: A&M Records – SP-3647, Speakers Corner Records – SP-3647
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, 180 Gram
Released: Dec 1999

As I’ve posted elsewhere my vinyl is back and having checked it my COTS is the 1974 Japan A&M Audiophile pressing SPJ3647.

Many excellent options, my fav...but it is tough to find at a decent price.

564572-15add2bc-supertramp_crime_of_the_century_uhqr.jpg

Although the early UK Allen is superb finding one in good condition won't be easy. I'm sure there are plenty of German early pressings that are also good, again finding one that is in good condition is perhaps the challenge. This album has some quiet passages that are easily ruined by noise. The Speakers Corner is also exellent but costly.

advertisement

Back