advertisement

Supernait v Aethos

Can anybody comment the SN3 Phono? I'm interested in the amp and hate additional box count. Though the high capacitance seems very odd.

Actually I liked the earlier Naim 3xx/5xx cards which I believe are basically whats inside Stageline & Prefix.

I've only heard the rega with a p10 and it was fabulous, a combination I'd have for life if I could afford it.
The naim looks better though.

My setup is: Rega P6, Dynavector20x2l, Aria, Chord Epic full loom. Buchardt S400's when I did this review (have Spendor D7.2s now) Apollo CD. Node2i Streamer. (Nd5xs2 now).

Overall I found the Aethos more engaging, richer and detailed. It sounded great at low vols, this was a big surprise as my Buchardts prefer higher vols but the detail and control at lower vols is really enjoyable and with vol up I could play at higher vols because of the control the Aethos has.
The volume control is slightly annoying agreed, loved the Elex r volume control but hey... the Aethos ‘balance’ was notable too, the dual monos a really come into play here. Naim PRaT is better but the Aethos is no slouch... I like relaxed listening and found the SN3 a little dry and thin sounding. When it comes to Vinyl the Aethos dug out a little more detail than the SN3 and sounded richer again, fuller somehow.

SN3 is lighter in bass but has more control of bass than the Aesthos, SN3 has more grip but it doesn't reach the low ends that the Aethos can.
The SN3 actually reminded me of my listening experience with the Hegel H390 which is a cracking amp. Bang for buck you get more from the Aethos personally.

Soundstage was a tie but Rega edged it with depth, in another review a 'walk in' depth is quoted & I hear that. The SN3 was slightly more detailed in the highs on some tracks. Johnny Cash's Hurt for example but the Aethos gave Cash’s voice more texture, realness. The SN vocals generally are more forward sounding.

Conclusion : it really does come down to 'what sound do you prefer'... I chose Rega...the SN3 just isn't as much fun to listen too. Aethos build quality feels better. Finally ‘less is more’ in the HIFI world so I like the fact that Rega kept it pure analog, no phono stage or digital inputs. I perhaps might have liked to see XLR inputs but can live with RCA.

I had the two amps at home for a week. I found the Rega to be far superior. Much more detailed than the Naim but with a little less drive. I can live with that as musically it was more engaging and a much nicer listen. With regard to the phono stage in the SN3, I wasn't impressed and found it to be very average.
I also tried a Naim Nait XS3 and in all honesty I preferred that to the SN3.

advertisement

Back