advertisement

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

ZK has replied so he will be next to receive the SC PS
koobre, if you are still interested, let me know your address, please.

koobre has just PMed his address & he is leaving the country soon so I'll ask aspro to send it to him tomorrow.
You should get it next week, ZK

aspro is ready to send out the 5V SC power supply - koobre or ZK PM me your address if you are you ready for it.
I enjoyed my time with the 5V SuperCap PSU into my Chord Qutest. The DAC is meant to be immune to power supply changes but I thought the SCPSU gave a very worthwhile all round improvement. In particular it sounded more natural but still with greater separation, detail and dynamics. I'm looking forward to see whether the 12V version does similar thing to my SOTM SMS2 Ultra Neo streamer. If it does I'll be ordering a multi output version.

Re Switchable Bigger vs. Modular: Certainly Modular is far more versatile, especially if there is the possibility of tapping at multiple positions. Just should be fool-proof and not go poof.

Also, Modular would enable topping up after-firstbuy.

Re Switchable Bigger vs. Modular: Certainly Modular is far more versatile, especially if there is the possibility of tapping at multiple positions. Just should be fool-proof and not go poof.
none of my devices go 'poof' & I'm trying to make it fool-proof.

My thinking has changed somewhat since I first posted - I'm trying to rationalise the number of PS units I offer (I don't really want to get into once-off tailor-made designs, particularly when I offer a 30 day return policy).

My thinking now is that I will have a 2X5V PS unit as is currently touring PFM members & a second design which will have a max 12.5V output (obviously in a bigger case). People can order this with multiple outputs in 2.5V jumps - 5V, 7.5V, 10V & 12.5V or any combination of these, would be options .

A second 12.5V unit can be attached to it in series, to provide another 12.5V, i.e a max of 25V & again this will have outputs in 2.5V steps added to the 12.5V of the first case - so 15V, 17.5V, 20V, 22.5V & 25V. A second charging SMPS could also be attached. All outputs are turned on by the on/off switch on the base unit

I'm hoping to tour these versions with all these outputs available but the retail version requires the user to specify which voltage output(s) they require and this will determine the pricing. I'm still working on getting a final price & the pricing logic

Also, Modular would enable topping up after-firstbuy.
Yes, I think you mean a base unit of 12.5V can be added to & built up to 25V, 37.5V, etc
I took on board the feedback from earlier about the number of boxes that would be required if it was based on a 5V base unit - building a 25V supply would have required 5 units. With 12.5V units it only requires two units but remains very flexible

Last edited:
I'm ready to pass this on to the next person on the list. Is it ZK? My first impressions are very good.

OK, Koobre - I'll PM you ZK's address
Can you post what you used the PS on & what your impressions were, please?

none of my devices go 'poof' & I'm trying to make it fool-proof.

My thinking has changed somewhat since I first posted - I'm trying to rationalise the number of PS units I offer (I don't really want to get into once-off tailor-made designs, particularly when I offer a 30 day return policy).

My thinking now is that I will have a 2X5V PS unit as is currently touring PFM members & a second design which will have a max 12.5V output (obviously in a bigger case). People can order this with multiple outputs in 2.5V jumps - 5V, 7.5V, 10V & 12.5V or any combination of these, would be options .

A second 12.5V unit can be attached to it in series, to provide another 12.5V, i.e a max of 25V & again this will have outputs in 2.5V steps added to the 12.5V of the first case - so 15V, 17.5V, 20V, 22.5V & 25V. A second charging SMPS could also be attached. All outputs are turned on by the on/off switch on the base unit

I'm hoping to tour these versions with all these outputs available but the retail version requires the user to specify which voltage output(s) they require and this will determine the pricing. I'm still working on getting a final price & the pricing logic

Yes, I think you mean a base unit of 12.5V can be added to & built up to 25V, 37.5V, etc
I took on board the feedback from earlier about the number of boxes that would be required if it was based on a 5V base unit - building a 25V supply would have required 5 units. With 12.5V units it only requires two units but remains very flexible

Can I confirm that the second bigger box unit could provide two 5v outputs as well one 12.5v?

Can I confirm that the second bigger box unit could provide two 5v outputs as well one 12.5v?
Yes! There are many ways to configure outputs & I'm investigating which will provide the maximum flexibility & functionality within the constraints that it is a build I am comfortable with.
For instance, I could allow the user to specify the combination of outputs they want at time of order (double outputs included) - so 2X5V & one 12.5V output would be specified at time of order.

Another (more expensive) alternative would be to provide one of each voltage output - 2.5V, 5V, 7.5V, 10V, 12.5V & another output whose voltage is selected by the user using a 5 position selector switch with a small screen that shows voltage of this output. This gives the user a lot of flexibility with 6 voltage outputs.

The total current being drawn from all these outputs is constrained by the wattage of the SMPS (currently 12V 4A i.e 48W) & the thermal considerations of the case - both of which will be reviewed

Last edited:
Yes! There are many ways to configure outputs & I'm investigating which will provide the maximum flexibility & functionality within the constraints that it is a build I am comfortable with.
For instance, I could allow the user to specify the combination of outputs they want at time of order (double outputs included) - so 2X5V & one 12.5V output would be specified at time of order.

Another (more expensive) alternative would be to provide one of each voltage output - 2.5V, 5V, 7.5V, 10V, 12.5V & another output whose voltage is selected by the user using a 5 position selector switch with a small screen that shows voltage of this output. This gives the user a lot of flexibility with 6 voltage outputs.

The total current being drawn from all these outputs is constrained by the wattage of the SMPS (currently 12V 4A i.e 48W) & the thermal considerations of the case - both of which will be reviewed
Thanks. The more expensive version sounds interesting but maybe a bit OTT with 6 outputs. For most people I would thought 2 or 3 outputs all variable would be more attractive.

Thanks. The more expensive version sounds interesting but maybe a bit OTT with 6 outputs. For most people I would thought 2 or 3 outputs all variable would be more attractive.
Thanks for the feedback but you don't have to use all 6 outputs - the idea being you plug a DC lead into whatever voltage output(s) you want (& this can vary over time as you change to equipment with different voltage input). Variable outputs requires similar wiring & a voltmeter with LED screen which is no cheaper than 5 fixed outputs - I'm also constrained by the dimensions of the back panel. The only advantage I can see with 3 variable outputs is that you could have 3 outputs of the same voltage - not sure how much demand for that?

Thanks for the feedback but you don't have to use all 6 outputs - the idea being you plug a DC lead into whatever voltage output(s) you want (& this can vary over time as you change to equipment with different voltage input). Variable outputs requires similar wiring & a voltmeter with LED screen which is no cheaper than 5 fixed outputs - I'm also constrained by the dimensions of the back panel. The only advantage I can see with 3 variable outputs is that you could have 3 outputs of the same voltage - not sure how much demand for that?
I see. Having 6 outputs would certainly give a lot of flexibility if the cost is not excessive. I know you working on that. Are going to trial that version if you decide that is the way to go or maybe a discounted version for initial buyers?

I see. Having 6 outputs would certainly give a lot of flexibility if the cost is not excessive. I know you working on that. Are going to trial that version if you decide that is the way to go or maybe a discounted version for initial buyers?
Yes, 5 outputs plus one user selectable output could give a lot of flexibility as would two rows of outputs - 5 outputs in each row (2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5V) - no need for selecting via switch - just plug into the output needed.

I will tour some version that provides such flexibility & review feedback

Yes, working on pricing but that requires establishing a final design first. I reckon the quality of this PS will equal Paul Hynes PSes so I would be interested in anyone who has one of these doing a comparison of the two. Looking at pricing of his & other high quality PSes, I reckon it will be competitive but with more flexibility (multiple outputs & voltage range via modular add-ons)

Of course I will launch it with an introductory discounted price

Actually, the 5 output PS gives even more flexibility
It can be used as +/-5V supply
The 5 output connections 2.5V, 5V, 7.5V, 10V, 12.5V
To use it as +/-5V just treat the 5V output as ground & 10V is then +5V - the ground of the 2.5V connector is then @ -5V voltage

This can be further extended when an add-on unit is attached in series
So +/- 7.5V; +/-10V; +/-12.5V are all possible using the same approach as above

For +/-7.5V use the 7.5V output as ground - then 15V becomes +7.5V & the ground of 2.5V becomes -7.5V

For +/-10V use the 10V output as ground - then 20V becomes +10V & the ground of 2.5V becomes -10V, etc

Thanks John, I'll post unit to ZK tomorrow.
I've been using this 2x5V Super capacitor PS to power my Allo digione signature as a ROON bridge connected to a SW1X Dac II special. The digione has 2 power inlet. One 'dirty power' inlet for powering the Raspberry Pi and the second 'clean power' inlet for powering the HAT (SPDIF out). Both parts are isolated from each other (galvanic) to optimize the audio signal and avoid any pollution of the digital streams.
The super capacitor PS is very well made with as previously mentioned, two separate and isolated 5V outputs. Currently I have been running the unit with a battery pack to power the clean side and the switch mode power supply to power the 'dirty side'. In comparison, with the SC PS, the music has improved. This is not a day and night difference but certainly noticeable. There is more authority to the base which is rich and defined. There is also more clarity in the mid range and treble with no hint of harsh brightness. The sound stage has also opened up. The overall effect is of lifting a veil off the music which for want of a better word is cleaner. I guess this makes sense as I am now powering up the entire Digione with a better power source.
This is indeed very impressive and highly recommended. The fact that you may have the flexibility of having multiple outputs with variable voltages is even more remarkable.
John has also been a pleasure to deal with...

Thanks Koobre - your impressions are most welcome.
Yes, I think the flexibility of the PS will prove to be the icing on the cake but first & foremost is the audible improvements that can be revealed when using it.

Even though a lot of the devices that are being powered by this supercapacitor PS use internal voltage regulators (often switching regulators), there is often still an improvement found.
In my testing with my other devices, I have found that voltage regulators mostly audibly detrimental to the sound & depending on what regulator & what device they are being used in this can vary from a small to large detriment. This detriment is further compounded when the power supply has a voltage regulator on its output which most invariably all do.

It's not just about noise, it's also about the moment to moment stability of & ability to deliver the current needed in an environment where large dynamically changing current is required while the self noise remains unchanged. Digital devices often have these current demand requirements and analogue devices often relatively slower changing demands so a power supply has to have characteristics which can handle these various requirements. Self noise that changes during processing I term noise floor modulation & I believe the removal/reduction of this is what we are hearing as the improvements that Koobre reports "There is more authority to the base which is rich and defined. There is also more clarity in the mid range and treble with no hint of harsh brightness. The sound stage has also opened up. The overall effect is of lifting a veil off the music which for want of a better word is cleaner."

Supercapacitors have these characteristics, being able to deliver high current very quickly (low impedance output) & recover very quickly without active components regulating the output voltage. Putting a voltage regulator on the output of supercapacitor power simply introduces a feedback mechanism which I believe introduces instability as there is an audible detrimental effect any time I tried this.

The unit arrived today. To clarify, is each output powered by a separate bank of capacitors?

advertisement

Back