advertisement

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

I had my ups and downs with the Supercap DAC, the downs however related to the DAC not playing ball with low res replay - I don't know what I was thinking playing Internet radio stations when auditioning a DAC as good as this!

As soon as I slipped music from Tidal on - the resolving nature of your DAC was very evident and music slotted into place so amazingly well.

I like the battery DAC too, I found the battery DAC very musical and more forgiving - whereas the Supercap DAC was more resolving whicy didn't bode well for low res in my system. The two are quite different from each other, I expected a family sound perhaps, but that did not happen.

I am very much looking forward to listening to the Supercap PS for the Auralic Aries - that will be most interesting for me.

And the power supply is the only difference between battery & supercap DACs - everything else is exactly the same.
I believe this shows the importance of the quality of power arriving at the ICs

I am looking at a couple of different approaches to higher voltage supercapacitor power supplies & would appreciate some feedback/opinions about these

- one approach is one case with two different voltage outputs, each adjustable by a selector knob in 2.5V steps & a small LCD screen showing voltage selected for each output - at the moment it can incorporate up to 12.5V but with the right case 25V should be fine. Only concern with this one case approach is the heat generated when 10 supercapacitors are being charged by 10 charger boards. This is of concern if a high continuous current (3A or more) is being drawn from the outputs

- Another approach is a modular design - a base module with dual 5V outputs (same size as the one on tour) to which another 5V unit can be added in series and to give a higher voltage output. Each module adds another 5V by plugging in the relevant cables between modules The add-on module adds 2.5V & 5V to the previous module voltage. This allows the flexibility to build up to whatever max voltage you want. You can draw voltage from any of these outputs simultaneously. There is only one external SMPS charger & one on/off switch on the base case although additional chargers could be plugged into any of the add-on modules if required. Thinking of also working a way to parallel any module with another module so a higher current output at that voltage can be obtained. Again the max current demand & heat generated/heatsinking will be the main limiting factor.

I know these options may be hard to envisage but I would appreciate people's thoughts on these so that it might direct my endeavours

Hi John, Please add me to the 5V PS tour.
Thanks.

5V supercapacitor PS -
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)
Aspro
koobre
ZK
Tirnaog

Hi John, Please add me to the variable output SC PSU tour.
Thanks

Other voltages
Beammeup 16V (14 -18V) 1A for Aries
00fiete 12V 3A
Tirnaog 15v 3A

And the power supply is the only difference between battery & supercap DACs - everything else is exactly the same.
I believe this shows the importance of the quality of power arriving at the ICs

I am looking at a couple of different approaches to higher voltage supercapacitor power supplies & would appreciate some feedback/opinions about these

- one approach is one case with two different voltage outputs, each adjustable by a selector knob in 2.5V steps & a small LCD screen showing voltage selected for each output - at the moment it can incorporate up to 12.5V but with the right case 25V should be fine. Only concern with this one case approach is the heat generated when 10 supercapacitors are being charged by 10 charger boards. This is of concern if a high continuous current (3A or more) is being drawn from the outputs

- Another approach is a modular design - a base module with dual 5V outputs (same size as the one on tour) to which another 5V unit can be added in series and to give a higher voltage output. Each module adds another 5V by plugging in the relevant cables between modules The add-on module adds 2.5V & 5V to the previous module voltage. This allows the flexibility to build up to whatever max voltage you want. You can draw voltage from any of these outputs simultaneously. There is only one external SMPS charger & one on/off switch on the base case although additional chargers could be plugged into any of the add-on modules if required. Thinking of also working a way to parallel any module with another module so a higher current output at that voltage can be obtained. Again the max current demand & heat generated/heatsinking will be the main limiting factor.

I know these options may be hard to envisage but I would appreciate people's thoughts on these so that it might direct my endeavours

I would like a 5v and 12v version so a modular approach would not give the right voltage. Also my digital set up is already 4 boxes without power supplies (network switch/Aries Mini as storage and server/SOTM SMS-200Ultra neo/Qutest) so keeping the box count down would be good. Wold not a bigger case with heat sinks be the answer albeit at greater cost?

The modular version would give you 12.5V - same as the adjustable one which has a 10 position selector, each position changes the output by 2.5V.

Is 12V that critical that 12.5V won't be fine? That would be unusual.

One other possible use of the modular approach is that it can be both a positive & negative supply - ground can be taken from any one of the connected modules - so let's say we have two 5V modules connected in series, ground can be the junction between these modules & we then have +5V & -5V outputs.

Just pointing out the options but I hear what you say about number of boxes & yes either a bigger case with heatsinks or two separate cases, one containing supercaps & the other the chargers & control circuitry

The modular version would give you 12.5V - same as the adjustable one which has a 10 position selector, each position changes the output by 2.5V.

Is 12V that critical that 12.5V won't be fine? That would be unusual.

One other possible use of the modular approach is that it can be both a positive & negative supply - ground can be taken from any one of the connected modules - so let's say we have two 5V modules connected in series, ground can be the junction between these modules & we then have +5V & -5V outputs.

Just pointing out the options but I hear what you say about number of boxes & yes either a bigger case with heatsinks or two separate cases, one containing supercaps & the other the chargers & control circuitry
Hi John

Apologies. I though it was 5v increments.

Take my case then which is fairly complicated. What would I need with the modular approach? Ideally I'd like one charger and a minimum number of other boxes although the dual 5v tour version case is very small.

Aries Mini 16v
Switch could be 12v or 5v
SOTM 12v
Qutest 5v

If that is too many boxes what about ignoring the Aries Mini and just doing 2 @ 5v and one @12v? What would be the most elegant solution?

The one case version has only two outputs - so any voltage (in 2.5V steps) from 2.5V upto whatever voltage needed voltage

With the modular approach I believe it would be possible to draw more than two voltage outputs. So, in your case for instance, two 5V outputs from the first module, next module would have 7.5V & 10V outputs, this module would have 12.5V & 15V outputs - so it's possible you could just need 3 cases (if 15V is OK rather than 16V?)- each the size of the current case i.e palm size

Of course the total current being drawn by all these powered devices will be limited by the charger PS current delivery (although more chargers can be plugged into the series modules) & the heat dissipation needed will also limit the possibilities - you might be trying to power too many devices from one supercap PS - any idea what the total current draw is?

I'm not sure what your current charging devices are but I doubt it could be less than the three or four cases above

Current is appprox:-
2*[email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

I don't understand how the first modular unit provides 2*5v to the Switch and Qutest and can still provide outputs to the second unit.

The switch and Aries Mini are currently powered by their SMPS units. There is £300 LPSU for the SOTM and the Qutest is powered from one of the USB outputs on the SOTM so quite neat but probably not optimal in tyerms of SQ.

How many outputs could the two box solution provide and what would be the total current limitation (3amps?)?

Do you mean 12.5V @0.75A?

I don't understand how the first modular unit provides 2*5v to the Switch and Qutest and can still provide outputs to the second unit.
Consider the modules are like batteries - connect two in series & you double the voltage. Each module is made up of two 2.5V supercapacitors which are like two 2.5V batteries

The switch and Aries Mini are currently powered by their SMPS units. There is £300 LPSU for the SOTM and the Qutest is powered from one of the USB outputs on the SOTM so quite neat but probably not optimal in tyerms of SQ.

How many outputs could the two box solution provide and what would be the total current limitation (3amps?)?
Two boxes can give a max voltage output of 10V - this can be configured as two 5V outputs (from the first module) & either two 7.5V, two 10V or a mix of 7.5V & 10V outputs from the second connected module.
Each 2.5V capacitor has an isolated 1.5A charger feeding it & the charging PS is 12V 4A (48Watts) so 5V@3Amps is 15Watts, [email protected] is 15Watts also. Often the stated current on devices is not continuous current but max current.

The main limiting factor is the heat generated & case/heatsinking requirements

Do you mean 12.5V @0.75A?

Consider the modules are like batteries - connect two in series & you double the voltage. Each module is made up of two 2.5V supercapacitors which are like two 2.5V batteries

Two boxes can give a max voltage output of 10V - this can be configured as two 5V outputs (from the first module) & either two 7.5V, two 10V or a mix of 7.5V & 10V outputs from the second connected module.
Each 2.5V capacitor has an isolated 1.5A charger feeding it & the charging PS is 12V 4A (48Watts) so 5V@3Amps is 15Watts, [email protected] is 15Watts also. Often the stated current on devices is not continuous current but max current.

The main limiting factor is the heat generated & case/heatsinking requirements

Sorry but if We go back to my kit:-

Aries Mini 16v(say 15v)
Switch could be 12v or 5v(say 5v)
SOTM 12v(say12.5v)
Qutest 5v

I can power the Qutest and switch using one box (twice 5v).
For the Aries Mini and SOTM (27.5v in total) do I then need another 3 boxes?

When I referred to the 2 box solution I meant putting the supercapacitors in one box and the other circuitry in onother. Could I have 3 outputs, two at 5v and one at 12v ( or 12.5v). The total current draw should be less than 3 amps.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse!

Ah, I see
I can do a version with 3 outputs - don't know if I can make them user selectable or if they have to be factory set?
You probably wouldn't need two cases then?

Ah, I see
I can do a version with 3 outputs - don't know if I can make them user selectable or if they have to be factory set?
You probably wouldn't need two cases then?

Maybe a slightly bigger case for reliability? I'm not too worried about user selectable.

Am I right about the number of cases for the modular solution though?

Maybe a slightly bigger case for reliability? I'm not too worried about user selectable.
OK

Am I right about the number of cases for the modular solution though?
You mean this "I can power the Qutest and switch using one box (twice 5v).
For the Aries Mini and SOTM (27.5v in total) do I then need another 3 boxes? "

From the Auralic website "The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A)." so 15V is fine
I don't know what SOTM device you have but again it should be able to take 12.5V power so 3 boxes in total will power the Qutest & Switch (2*5V), Sotm (12.5V) & Aries Mini (15V)

OK

You mean this "I can power the Qutest and switch using one box (twice 5v).
For the Aries Mini and SOTM (27.5v in total) do I then need another 3 boxes? "

From the Auralic website "The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A)." so 15V is fine
I don't know what SOTM device you have but again it should be able to take 12.5V power so 3 boxes in total will power the Qutest & Switch (2*5V), Sotm (12.5V) & Aries Mini (15V)

I thought that each box only provided 10v each. What is the total amps or watts each box provides? I'm struggling to imagine the wiring. Is there a dc out for each box as well 2 outputs for kit? I think the modular approach might be a marketing challenge but it's probably just me!

Anyway, initial impressions with the Qutest are very positive. Can I leave it powered on all the time?

I thought that each box only provided 10v each.
Each box provides 5V - 3 boxes provide max 15V
What is the total amps or watts each box provides?
Each can provide 3A but you don't have a current requirement anywhere near that?
I'm struggling to imagine the wiring. Is there a dc out for each box as well 2 outputs for kit?
Yes a multi-wire connection between each box as well as the 2 DC outs
I think the modular approach might be a marketing challenge but it's probably just me!
Thanks for your thoughts & feedback - it's exactly what I was hoping for - it makes me think about the variations & different, possibly more appealing ways to achieve the same outputs - maybe modular interconnectable units of 5V & 10V would allow more flexibility & less boxes & be more popular?
Anyway, initial impressions with the Qutest are very positive. Can I leave it powered on all the time?
Glad to hear you are liking what you hear/ Yes, you can leave powered on 24/7

Each box provides 5V - 3 boxes provide max 15V Each can provide 3A but you don't have a current requirement anywhere near that?Yes a multi-wire connection between each box as well as the 2 DC outs Thanks for your thoughts & feedback - it's exactly what I was hoping for - it makes me think about the variations & different, possibly more appealing ways to achieve the same outputs - maybe modular interconnectable units of 5V & 10V would allow more flexibility & less boxes & be more popular?Glad to hear you are liking what you hear/ Yes, you can leave powered on 24/7

Hi John, I'm enjoying the SCPSU With the Qutest but before I order one I'd like to try the 12 v version to see how it compares with the good LPSU that powers the SOTM.

If you can do a 3 output version ( 5v 0.75 amp times 2 and a 12v 1.5amp ) how much would it cost?

advertisement

Back