advertisement

Superb cables on a budget

Imagine the mindset of someone who lives in messy surroundings..and many answers come.

And the best bit, cleanliness and tidiness cost less then Amazon Basic cables!

Our bookcases were handmade some 30 years ago by a local carpenter and have stood the test of time very well. As for cables, I don't use cheap ones and, having gone down the 'all-in-one' route about ten years ago, don't need many cables in any case.

But the boring truth is that I'd only know whether cheap cables were strangling the music by comparing them with expensive ones without knowing which was which, and a) life's too short and b) my hearing's so shite these days that I probably wouldn't be able to detect any difference.
+1 for all in one ( many advantages ) I would be interested in seeing a photo of one of your bookcases..not so much on the manner of its construction..more interesting to me is what books you have languishing in the bookcase?

+1 for all in one ( many advantages ) I would be interested in seeing a photo of one of your bookcases..not so much on the manner of its construction..more interesting to me is what books you have languishing in the bookcase?

Here's one taken ages ago:

2306018874_ef65bef794_z.jpg

And another from the same time:

2306018898_1c4da9b6a5_z.jpg

(It's less messy now!)

A shelf and a half of poetry, more novels than you could shake a stick at, lots of history/biography, not much in the way of science.

I suppose it’s only fair to explain my ‘wry smile’ comment: it’s directed at the need to list the interconnects( usually some grandiose name like Flatulent Mist X5000 mk2) as if doing so affords some Golden eared audiophile cred.

I think it's much to do with some people wanting to be 'complete-ist' by listing every single component and tweak in mind-numbing detail as their wishing to establish credibility, because, let's face it, establishing credibility in some audiophiles will undermine it in others. 'What - you still use valves?', 'What, you use a streamer?', 'What you use those boomy Tannoys?'

A shelf and a half of poetry, more novels than you could shake a stick at, lots of history/biography, not much in the way of science.
Obviously like all the best people you also have a copy of ‘The Most of SJ Perelman’ (second pic, bottom shelf) but I hadn’t expected to see a matching copy of ‘Spotting Birds’ (top pic, second shelf, a dozen from the left.)

Here's one taken ages ago:

2306018874_ef65bef794_z.jpg

And another from the same time:

2306018898_1c4da9b6a5_z.jpg

(It's less messy now!)

A shelf and a half of poetry! A man after my own heart..we share same first name too? Maybe we are related? Lol

Obviously like all the best people you also have a copy of ‘The Most of SJ Perelman’ (second pic, bottom shelf) but I hadn’t expected to see a matching copy of ‘Spotting Birds’ (top pic, second shelf, a dozen from the left.)

We've had a major re-shelve since those photos were taken. All the whodunnits are now up in the top room, the other novels are more or less in alphabetical order, and the 'humour' books are on the top shelf. History now has its own couple of shelves. (I could usually find any book under the old 'system', but Mrs H found it impossible to decipher).

I suppose it’s only fair to explain my ‘wry smile’ comment: it’s directed at the need to list the interconnects( usually some grandiose name like Flatulent Mist X5000 mk2) as if doing so affords some Golden eared audiophile cred.
Manners maketh man..Cables maketh hifi..

A shelf and a half of poetry! A man after my own heart..we share same first name too? Maybe we are related? Lol

Anything's possible, I guess. Joe is a family name (shared by uncle and cousin), but not as much as George (shared by grandfather, father, uncle, cousin and nephew). Imagination was obviously not a family trait.

Anything's possible, I guess. Joe is a family name (shared by uncle and cousin), but not as much as George (shared by grandfather, father, uncle, cousin and nephew). Imagination was obviously not a family trait.
Bit weird..I was talking about naming a child George just yesterday! I can't say I like my name much..bit ho hum ordinary joe etc..now Herodotus..that's a good name! Lol

No, it allows those interested to know what they are called as cables have different sound signature and thus creates what a person is hearing. I have an interest in that, as do many others.

I also can't say my 'Cardas Clear' is anything grandiose in the name department not that I have ever been impressed or offered any 'cred' to anyone who chooses a specific cable, more so that they have created something they are happy with with whatever tools at their disposal. Thats the real cred and I one I would definitely respect.

I think phrases regarding chips and shoulders comes to mind.

No, it allows those interested to know what they are called as cables have different sound signature and thus creates what a person is hearing. I have an interest in that, as do many others.

I also can't say my 'Cardas Clear' is anything grandiose in the name department not that I have ever been impressed or offered any 'cred' to anyone who chooses a specific cable, more so that they have created something they are happy with with whatever tools at their disposal. Thats the real cred and I one I would definitely respect.

I think phrases regarding chips and shoulders comes to mind.

You don’t list your system components, your profile is set to private, we now know you use cardas clear interconnects tho so well done, a credible cable at a incredible price:)

Last edited:
You don’t list your system components , your profile is set to private.we now know you use cardas clear interconnects tho

..and my house is clean and tidy!

My components have been listed many times and my cables even more on PFM. The search engine is very valuable if you want to know stuff. Its real easy to use.

advertisement

Back