advertisement

Sumiko blue point 2 stylus

mark.king

pfm Member
I was playing a record and suddenly it sounded really bad and skipped back. I took a look at the stylus and it was gone! Not sure what did it or if it was just age as there was no big crack or pop.

I’ve put in an ATF3 that came with the deck probably 15 years ago when I got it 2nd hand (The blue point was fitted but this was with it also). This is working ok although a lot of gain required which will be due to the low output. To be honest I rarely use vinyl so it will do for now.

So I’m about to put the blue point in the bin as it’s probably not worth sending off anywhere as it’s quite old now and looking at the reviews I’d probably be better getting something else. Especially since I only have a mm phono stage.

So does the bin sound like the right place for it?

Aside from what to do with the Blue Point, the AT-F3 is a low output MC (0.35mV). Whether you rarely play records, or no, you'll be wanting a step-up transformer, head amp, or an MC phono stage; else there be noise and weedy sound, making the cartridge seem like it's past it when it may actually be perfectly fine.

Cheapest option would be a pair of Sony HA-T10 transformers (very discreet in-line RCA plug adapters). audio-technica's own AT-630 sounds very good and includes a convenient ground terminal/flying ground lead (most small in-line units don't).

b.jpg

BTW, the Blue Point No. 2 remains a popular cartridge at $US 449. You could always advertise it for sale as 'as is, for retipping', 'worked perfectly up until the stylus went AWOL during play', that sort of thing. No doubt someone will want to send it off for a retip. In the meantime, it isn't as though it is going to be taking up space in the garage.

Last edited:
Great answer. Thanks for the info. Your right it doesn’t take up much space I just have loads of things that don’t take up much space.

I’ll probably do just as you have suggested. Cheers

Ha, ha. I hear you with regard to having loads of things that don't take up much space.

I have found that one can fit a lot of phono cartridges into a cigar box, though. Keeps them smelling nice, too.

I think I will sit on things a while as it is a rarity that I actually play a record and I do only have a mm phono box. I may go down the mm road at some point. The transformers are more expensive that the AT cartridge looks to have been and I’m not even sure of the mileage it has on it.

The turntable is a clear audio solution with the unify arm. I bought it quite cheap about 15 years ago. I think about 1/2 price of what the arm alone would have cost. My wife liked the look if it! I was quite pleased with my skills of lining up the AT cartridge and my little clear audio scales for tracking weight. I just missed out on the point the AT isn’t high output like the blue point.

I think I will contemplate for a few weeks :)

I think I will sit on things a while as it is a rarity that I actually play a record and I do only have a mm phono box. I may go down the mm road at some point. The transformers are more expensive that the AT cartridge looks to have been and I’m not even sure of the mileage it has on it.

The turntable is a clear audio solution with the unify arm. I bought it quite cheap about 15 years ago. I think about 1/2 price of what the arm alone would have cost. My wife liked the look if it! I was quite pleased with my skills of lining up the AT cartridge and my little clear audio scales for tracking weight. I just missed out on the point the AT isn’t high output like the blue point.

I think I will contemplate for a few weeks :)

I suggest:

Audio Technica AT-VM95E £42.50;
Grado Prestige Black £79;
Grado Prestige Green £89.95;
Audio Technica AT-VM95EN £91.99;
Ortofon 2M Red £95;
Grado Prestige Blue £106.99;
Nagaoka MP-110 £114.95;
Grado Prestige Red £143;
Audio Technica AT-VM95ML £148;
Ortofon 2M Blue £185;
Denon DL110 £214.99
Audio Technica VM-540ML £221.

(Amazon prices).

Thanks for the replies. I will think about what I want to do as there is no rush.

in answer to an earlier question. I have no idea how much it would be to get re-tipped or indeed who would do it. It would be interesting to if anyone knew this?

Thanks for the replies. I will think about what I want to do as there is no rush.

in answer to an earlier question. I have no idea how much it would be to get re-tipped or indeed who would do it. It would be interesting to if anyone knew this?

More than £200/250...

I'd give Expert Stylus Co. a shout inquiring about their Paratrace re-tip service.

Be prepared for an allegedly long wait for a return from Expert Stylus if you read some peoples thoughts on the process.

Be prepared for an allegedly long wait for a return from Expert Stylus if you read some peoples thoughts on the process.
Is this the guy in Lancashire somewhere? If so, then I've read some, shall we say, less than glowing reports of his work on here. I'm sure there's one firm who does come highly recommended, but I'm not sure who.

Is this the guy in Lancashire somewhere? If so, then I've read some, shall we say, less than glowing reports of his work on here. I'm sure there's one firm who does come highly recommended, but I'm not sure who.

No, the guy in Lancashire is North West Analogue, I was quoted some prices recently that were eye watering. His reputation though as far as I know is good, have met him, a nice guy is Dominic.

£350 is eye watering without going any higher. Will see if anyone wants it as I won’t be getting it re tipped.

£350 is eye watering without going any higher. Will see if anyone wants it as I won’t be getting it re tipped.
I suspect not, in that case, as it's a significant percentage of the price of a new one. Might be worth seeing if it has any trade-in value, though?

advertisement

Back