advertisement

Suits you sir

Darren L

Egalitarian
Prompted by the system for Jazz thread do PFM'ers generally think that particular types of equipment or systems are suited or not suited to particular or specific types of music?
Should a 'good' system not be able to reproduce any type of music?

Theoretically yes, but many audio systems are compromised and many listeners tastes quite bizarre to my perspective. A wander around any high-end hi-fi show indicates just how wide the sample base is of what people view as acceptable or desirable. As such we all end up somewhere slightly different, in fact my answer is to end up in a couple of places as I’ve not heard a single system that does everything I want yet (I far prefer having both huge full-range monitors and tiny near-fields rather than some compromise in the middle). We also obviously buy a system to reflect our musical taste, and some people’s range is far, far wider than others, which almost certainly leads to different kit choices. To be honest it would really help all hi-fi reviews if the reviewer listed the last 20 albums they played!

PS Someone will obviously be along soon to argue that if ‘graph says flat’ then everything is perfect with the world, but I’d argue one’s interaction with music is way more complex than that and what makes listener A want to keep exploring new music may be different from listener B or some intellectualised theoretical ideal. I actually find looking at someone’s record collection is the best judge of their system, i.e. how much music have they managed to discover, understand and enjoy with that tool? That’s the real test!

Tony, I’d (strongly) argue that ideal full-range monitors should be able to handle everything.

The capable near-field monitors might handle certain things very well, but not *better* than the best full range speakers.

Some systems provide a larger than life portrayal which with some music can be very appealing - often it’s with certain forms of jazz. The same systems won’t be as good with all genres. I sense accuracy vs enjoyment rearing it’s head...

Tony, I’d (strongly) argue that ideal full-range monitors should be able to handle everything.

I don’t agree. Some stuff just seems mic’d or mixed in a way it works perfectly in the nearfield. I love having both perspectives available, as of course they are in any decent studio. Hearing something in more than one way often shines a lot more light on it and aids understanding IME.

Prompted by the system for Jazz thread do PFM'ers generally think that particular types of equipment or systems are suited or not suited to particular or specific types of music?
Definitely... I’ve avoided finicky equipment, I like a huge variety of music and have built a system that sounds good across the board... I have different systems with quite different presentations but they all play everything equally well.

Its a personal choice ultimately, ill settle for a system that plays everything with equanimity.
It’s a must if you have diverse taste... and I really do! Today/tonight I’ve listened to Metallica, John Barry, Elgar, Chris De Burgh, Erasure, Hot Chip, Massive Attack and I’m currently listening to Birdy’s Island Lights (which is absolutely beautiful).

Different types of loudspeaker will interact with the listening room in different ways that will make some more appropriate for particular genres, not to mention listeners.

A modern type of full range (sort of) monitor will be very good for analysing the sound but less good at creating a convincingly realistic illusion of having a performer playing front of one. So much depends on ones aims and the genre of music. If I was listening mostly to constructed in the studio genres of music than a Dutch and Dutch with sub would suit me nicely, but as I listen mostly to small scale classical music a decent omni is much better for me. Either type of speaker would make a decent fist of any genre but ime there is no one speaker that is ideal for all genres.

I do think certain gear or systems may be more suited to certain types of music because of coloration, ability to reproduce tonal colors, etc.

However, ultimately, I would be unhappy with such a system. I consider the bias a fundamental flaw. I listen to all sorts of music and my system will need to be able to convey all of it well.

for a good few years I had 2 systems to suit my listening mood, planars or statics in the dining room for " twee " music and full range, ie isobariks for my more naughty moments in the living room. I have now consolidated to one system using Meridian dsp5500's which do both quite well.
Rgds
Stuart

Yes, a REALLY good system SHOULD work with any music. Meaning, it should reproduce the program material as faithfull as possible. Not adding or taking away anything. But, of course, as noted above, already interactions with room will do just that, take away some and add some.

I'm certain though, that areally good real world system should be able to work with any music. A fan aof trip hop should be equally pleased as a fan of string quartets.

Theoretically yes, but can any two people agree on what constitutes a 'good' system? Have you ever heard Linn Kans trying to reproduce the sound of Grand Piano? It's not a pleasant experience, but then again, do Kan owners listen to Piano Concertos?

This is all about choice and how far you're prepared to go. About a third of what I listen to is 50s / 60s jazz. This sounds uber wonderful through OB speakers driven by SET amps. Is it accurate and neutral? Hell, no. Does that system play rock and orchestral well - it's better than you might expect but it has its limits.

I have a 2nd system with MarkaudioSota Towers driven by 250W of Ncore Class D. As Tony L said earlier a very different system gives a different perspective of the music. The Towers/Ncore setup a great system taking over when the OB / SET system starts to fall down. Yes, it plays jazz fine but by comparison to the OBs/SET it doesn't draw me in the same way - I'm not willing to lose this perspective so I have two systems plus a surprisingly good 3rd study system. This 2nd system is the more accurate one and it sounds like for some here it's all they need. I don't want to forgo that something extra for my jazz listening. I very much enjoy both systems. Is this like having two wives or a wife and mistress?

Last edited:
As long as you don't use Linn Kans everything thing should be OK.
Only joking.
My Naim/ Tannoy system seems happy with most stuff. I regularly play Beethoven Pastoral, Joni Mitchell, Nubiyan Twist and Spyro Gyra to name a few.
Tony's theory does have some credibility though.

advertisement

Back