advertisement

Suggestions for speakers that have a lively and bright treble.

kowalski99

pfm Member
Hi,
I've a pair of ATC SCM 7 speakers and find they don't really suit my ears as I find them too neutral. I want a pair of speakers with a more lively and even bright treble sound with detail and openness also important. I've heard Kef ls50 Metas and they don't do it for me either. I have up to £3000 to spend and can go to floor standers although I can only sit 7ft away.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Fyne Audio F1.5. Small standmounters, utterly stunning in the nearfield. I’m ignoring the requirement in the OP as they aren’t bright, but they are full of life and energy, but subtlety too.

Maybe a pair of Rehdeko, those'll loosen your fillings. Or Klipsch Heresy.

Monitor Audio with a ribbon teeter is worth a listen.
Many bookshelf speakers with berilium or aluminum tweeter such as the Totem Signature One might suit your needs as well.

You may try Dali. I used to have Dali mentor menuet and Harbeth SHL5+ which I currently own. The treble of the Dali is slightly brighter, airier and lit than the Harbeth. You may consider the Epicon 2 for your £3k budget.

You may try Proac as well. The older model which I owned (Tablette 50 Signature) sounds considerably lean and bright at the top in comparison to Harbeth. The treble is very airy and tilt towards bright instead of warmth. I'm not sure which recent models would be more suitable for your requirement. Perhaps the D2, D2R or older Response 1.5 along those lines.

Magneplanar speakers also sound bright to my ears. I heard a pair of 1.7 driven by Bryston 4B-ST or SST many years ago. Lean and thin sound without much bass and lack of warmth in the midrange.

Neat Ministra are very good and can be placed close to a wall. The ribbon tweater has a lot of detail as well, they are a lot better than the Dali Menuet which I own for my second living room system. They (Dali) suit the boss who prefers smaller speakers in a living room.

Hi,
I've a pair of ATC SCM 7 speakers and find they don't really suit my ears as I find them too neutral. I want a pair of speakers with a more lively and even bright treble sound with detail and openness also important. I've heard Kef ls50 Metas and they don't do it for me either.

What are you driving these speakers with? If you're finding ATC and LS50 lacking brightness and liveliness it may be your amps are not driving them properly. Small speakers like this, especially the ATC, often like a lot of power to wake them up and control them, even if you are listening near-field.

advertisement

Back