advertisement

Suggestions for PCB design software

I've never found the libraries that bad for most things. Most manufacturers do thier own library of thier own parts. The online tool is great for editing and creating your own library and adding 3d models to parts etc.

So I accepted it wasn't something I could do without investing a little time in learning and now I'm up and running. I'm sure I can improve this a lot but here's the 3D view of my first attempt:

TestPCBREV1.0.png

Once I'm happy I'll get it made as cheaply as possible (JLCPCB?) and see if it actually works!

Boards received and very nice they are to. I realised after ordering I'd made a minor cock-up on the power supply section but easily rectified (pun possibly intended). But one thing I found after building the board up and it not working was that the diodes band and 'K' symbols are back to front compared to the schematic. Anyone come across this before. It is the same for both types of diode footprints.

I checked my library (admittedly from 4.0 since I heavily customised it), and the symbols D, D_ALT, D_small and D_small_ALT all have pin 1 as "K".

I then looked at the footprints D_DO-15_P10.16mm_Horizontal, D_DO-15_P12.70mm_Horizontal, D_DO-35-SOD27_P10.16mm_Horizontal, and D_DO-35-SOD27_P12.70mm_Horizontal, and they all have the band (and the square pad) on pad 1.

So all those match properly. I did note that none of my diode footprints have a "K" on the silkscreen, so you're probably using 5.0 libraries. Do your footprints have the "K" on pad 2, or do the symbols you're using have pin 2 as "K"?

Cheers,
Jeff.

KiCad V4 diode symbols had pin 1 the wrong way round. These days KiCad strictly follows IPC standards.
The trouble is that the EIA also has different incompatible standards.

@davidsrsb, did they get fixed in one of the point releases? (My library *probably* comes from 4.0.5.)

Or did I fix them in my library sometime in the past and then totally forgot about it?

I have not used V4.0.x for a long time, it's hard to remember.
The major library shuffle was two years ago and your 4.0.5 is three years old.

advertisement

Back