advertisement

Suggestions for low light camera

slavedata

pfm Member
My daughter wants a new camera to take pictures mostly of dim church interiors. She wants something easy to use and a single unit. Can anyone help me with suggestions of what would suit?
Thanks

Using a tripod, and having some means of correcting converging verticals, will probably have more influence on the image than the choice of camera, particularly with your budget.

The tripod recommendation is a good one - and note, the tripod doesn't have to be anything fancy, or bulky and heavy.

I use a Manfrotto Pixi up to 30s with an X100, and it's a pocket-able combo that does exactly what I want in architectural photography/ low light shots. as tripods go it;s small enough that many will overlook it - but has a great ball head, and is commendably stiff in use / can be used very discreetly on columns and non-horizontal surfaces to get support. So a Pixi, at ~£20 , is my automatic recommendation whichever camera your daughter looks-at.

By single unit, do you mean with built in lens? If you’re (she’s) willing to try an SLR, my first digital camera was a Nikon d70, which seem to be available for about £50ish quid. You can find settings to work indoors quite easily, eg longer exposures. Combined with a 35mm f1.8 and/or 50mm with similar aperture (nikon 50mm f1.4 D is £50-100), you’d have something quite reasonable for your needs, and cash left over for more batteries, a tripod, etc.
Of course, other camera bodies and lenses are available for the sort of budget that’s been indicated, but I think you could have some fun picking out a kit.

It would help to know what she wants to do with the images - is it purely archival or will she want to print? What image quality expectations does she have? Is she interested in analogue or does it have to be digital? There are so many variables, especially given the limited budget.Does she want to capture the entire interior or just certain aspects? Answers range from phone cameras to a body and separate lenses.

advertisement

Back