advertisement

Suggestions for hearing aids.. serious request!!

trumpetman

pfm Member
..not a joke, I was wondering if any members use hearing aids and might be willing to help me make some decisions.
I had to have a hearing test today and as they thought the chemo has hastened a natural old age decline. I'm OK about it.
The HiFI listening is still OK - high end frequency stuff sometimes difficult, trumpet playing still fine.
So for any users (or audiologists we may have as members)
in ear, on ear, private or NHS etc High street, v GP etc etc
Thanks very much - pm probably more appropriate for personal discussions , recommendations would be good here (hear:))
trumpetman

It would be interesting to see your audiograms for both ears as that would give us some idea of the hearing loss.

DV

@trumpetman You still have my number from the WAM?
Easier to call me as other PFM have.

I've gone through nearly all versions, as my hearing deficiency increases.

It would be interesting to see your audiograms for both ears as that would give us some idea of the hearing loss.

DV
Hi DV, Thanks for your reply, as the test was part of my cancer check up I wasn't handed anything to take away, but I will contact the hospital tomorrow :)

Hi DV, Thanks for your reply, as the test was part of my cancer check up I wasn't handed anything to take away, but I will contact the hospital tomorrow :)
The audiograms are effectively your prescription for hearing correction devices similar to an an eye test prescription that allows the correct lenses to be made.

Each of these allows us to deduce the amount of loss and the degree of correction required. There is however one big difference. Eyesight can in most cases be corrected by lenses but hearing can only be aided and not corrected. Hence the term hearing aids. Also these aids only correct the treble region that is responsible for speech.

DV

Are you near London? If so Harley Street Hearing caters to musicians and last I was there for musicians earplugs Geraldine Daly was fab. Was awhile ago though so not sure she is still there. They were slightly more than others but the attention to detail in getting my moulds right and asking good questions was worth it.

I had a hearing test at my local boots. Not surprised when they told me I needed a little help. They showed me the audiograms and it was what I was (sadly) expecting.

I’m using a pair of Phonak hearing aids. Not cheap but they are almost infinitely configurable. I get called in for an annual review and tweaks. There have been a couple of problems with the hearing aids (one of which was probably my fault). Boots have replaced parts immediately with no questions asked. I always judge a business by its after sales service and Boots have been excellent. If this is because I purchased a top quality Phonak then it’s been worth the expense.

..not a joke, I was wondering if any members use hearing aids and might be willing to help me make some decisions.
I had to have a hearing test today and as they thought the chemo has hastened a natural old age decline. I'm OK about it.
The HiFI listening is still OK - high end frequency stuff sometimes difficult, trumpet playing still fine.
So for any users (or audiologists we may have as members)
in ear, on ear, private or NHS etc High street, v GP etc etc
Thanks very much - pm probably more appropriate for personal discussions , recommendations would be good here (hear:))
trumpetman

There may be regional variations but I've always found the advice of our NHS dept to be pretty damn good and the supplied equipment (Phonak) pretty much bang up to date compared with commercial offerings. There is also a range of ancillary kit available now for the Phonak that is specifically made for linking to other audio gear (TV, phone, hifi, etc) via Bluetooth - this also applies for other brands.

I have been using the NHS services for nearing 20 years now (first one aid - now two) and really can't fault them.

I would consider it a very good idea to wait and see what they suggest based on the audiograms and other considerations they will take into account before looking any further.

Incidentally, the last time I went for an NHS test I also took one at a local commercial supplier (a national chain who also do specs)
The commercial supplier was absolutely bloody useless for various reasons and got me a lot of bother from my GP (long story)

My brother also had a pretty crap and costly experience with a commercial supplier (different firm - different part of the country)

advertisement

Back