advertisement

Suggestions for a box that will give me Bluetooth and Airplay into my dac?

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
So, I’ve removed my ATV as I am using the optical input for my tv, but I now miss a lazy listening option into my hifi system.

Any recommendations for something that will do this with a RCA out? Was thinking of Blusound but unsure of other options with a good interface.

Raspberry Pi with a digi hat running moOde. moOde supports Bluetooth and Airplay. Then you can also do internet radio, and load lots of songs onto a USB thumb drive, etc...

Raspberry Pi with a digi hat running moOde. moOde supports Bluetooth and Airplay. Then you can also do internet radio, and load lots of songs onto a USB thumb drive, etc...

Thanks - that sounds complicated! Is the interface simple? I have a Mac Mini but just want something that doesn’t require much faff.

... the Yamaha doesn’t have a RCA coax out ...
The Yamaha WXC-50 does:
WXC50-rear.jpg

You'll like the Arylic, it does everything some of the more expensive options do, sounds great but with a much lower price tag.

So how well does the App work? As I see pretty average reviews in the Apple App store but I realise this connects to other products too.

The Blusound looks tempting, but if there is no other benefit, I’m happy to save £££. DAC is a Weiss Dac202 by the way.

Raspberry Pi using Volumio does all that, and is easy to boot. When you load it the first time it sets up a local wireless you join to, you install the correct wireless password or like I’ve done wire it into the router, then you’re good to go. Airplay or Bluetooth to your hearts content. About £50 or maybe £60 if you buy a posh box.

Raspberry Pi using Volumio does all that, and is easy to boot. When you load it the first time it sets up a local wireless you join to, you install the correct wireless password or like I’ve done wire it into the router, then you’re good to go. Airplay or Bluetooth to your hearts content. About £50 or maybe £60 if you buy a posh box.
You have to factor in a cheap digi hat though since the OP wants RCA digital out. But that would only add £20 or so for a HifiBerry for example.

Missed that. I bought a digi hat for mine for £15 off someone on here, made a massive difference, I did find USB output noisy. I believe the Pi 4 has better isolation of the USB output that the 3 I’ve got.

Thanks all. I got an old friend (Chris Harris) to make me an XLR to RCA lead for my Oppo disc player, so I have to use a RCA coax as it’s my only spare
input into the Weiss.

So how well does the App work? As I see pretty average reviews in the Apple App store but I realise this connects to other products too.

The Blusound looks tempting, but if there is no other benefit, I’m happy to save £££. DAC is a Weiss Dac202 by the way.

I've always found the app fine. It's maybe not as pretty as some and because they make so many products and license others to companies who make finished products like the Nord Easy Stream for example, it obviously has some functionality that work with some devices and not others. However if you are just doing bluetooth and airplay you will only be using the app for initial set-up.

I use mine for multi room with Tidal and it connects together the different devices seamlessly.

I'm basically a big believer in the most functionality at a lower cost than prettier or more commercial stuff while not giving up on the sound quality, it's where I've always come from with my speakers and amps so when I was asked to distribute something that did similar to the bluesound for a lot less cash, I said yes please.

The Arylic S50pro I sell does everything you need and loads more besides for a really low price.

aptX bluetooth, Airplay, tidal, etc

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/arylic-s50-pro-wireless-aptx-hd-pre-amplifier/

That's a very interesting product with a lot of features for the money. I have two key questions:
1. Does it support gapless playback?
2. Does the 4Stream app allow searching of a dlna media library (e.g. MinimServer) by Composer field?

Both features are essential for classical music.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark, I'm not sure, I don't normally do either of those things. I've lent my test unit to a customer but will get it back tomorrow or Tuesday and check it out for you. It might be that I will send the demo unit round on a tour for those interested.

advertisement

Back