advertisement

Suggested upgrade ?

ExtremePie

pfm Member
Hi all,

currently running:

CD5i2, Expo XXI pre / XVIII mono power / spendor S6e. Using VDH First Ultimate and a pair of stock XLR (unbalanced) connects with Exposure speaker cable.

What would you target as the 'weakest link'?

well personally I would ditch the spendors and get something a little more flat earthy.

You can never go wrong with a front end improvement!

what does your dealer suggest?

Have you got room for bigger speakers than the S6e's?

If not your system is about as good as it's going to get for a CD based system with medium sized speakers.

Yes, and what does your dealer suggest? Whatever he suggests do the opposite for best sound per pound spent.

Thanks for the thoughts. It was more of an abstract query at the moment as all of the gear bar one speaker cable run is new (second hand new)
Don't really do dealers to be honest - there's so much collective knowledge and opinion here provided you can take it all in and think about what people are really telling you.
Interested that two people would ditch the Spendors and lindsay feels it's as good as it's going to get.
Personally I was thinking that money spent on the CDP end was likely to be the best spent, but that's probably what a dealer would tell me!

I agree with david ellwood. I don't know the Spendors but IME round earth speakers in a flat earth system was a recipe for grief.

I followed the received wisdom to upgrade upstream for years. Yet while I got improvements in detail, I got almost none in musical communication. Replacing my spiteful speakers with more sympathetic ones was a revelation, allowing the rest of my system to shine its best. I say start with trying different speakers.

I'd try a decent dac, a simple shoe in to your set-up and will give you a genuine improvement. Failing that if space allows- sPeakers.

I agree with david ellwood. I don't know the Spendors but IME round earth speakers in a flat earth system was a recipe for grief.
This may have been your experience, but it certainly wasn't mine.

I followed the received wisdom to upgrade upstream for years. Yet while I got improvements in detail, I got almost none in musical communication. Replacing my spiteful speakers with more sympathetic ones was a revelation, allowing the rest of my system to shine its best. I say start with trying different speakers.
This affirms that the source-first philosophy can be seriously bottle-necked by loudspeakers, and that a balanced approach is a much better way to spend your hard-earned. That said, the only advice I can offer the OP is ...

If you like what you have, why change anything?

Sure, there are better systems to be had, but they invariably cost more money and you are likely to make some retrograde mistakes along the way. More expensive does not always mean better. However, if you're in this hobby to try new kit then there are endless options to have your fill.

advertisement

Back