advertisement

Suggested Output Tap for AI500 and Tannoy Monitor Gold 3LZ 10"

Monitor Gold 10

pfm Member
Good morning all!

I've got the earlier (Serial No. 51636) Hinchley Transformer AI500 Amplifier. I've a choice of outputs; 16, 8 and 4 Ohms.

Presently I'm using the 4 Ohm Tap.

Might be seen as a silly question, however I'm new to Thermionic Valves and have never had a choice like this before!

Kind regards, Stu

I’d have thought the 8 Ohm tap was right, it is for 15” Golds, but if one sounds better than the other you’ll do no harm either way.

The tap that matches your speaker impedance will give the optimum combination of power and low distortion but you can try them all and see which you prefer. The 4R tap will give reduced power but possibly better grip and control whereas the 16R tap I would expect to be the "valviest" and with the loosest bass etc when used with 8R.

having owned some 500s (along with, practically all, AI integrateds and all their Mk versions) I, as Tony and Jez above, suggest to take your time and try all 3 taps with the speakers - and you'll see :) . report back please, though, which you preferred, will you

Thank you all very much for your informative replies! I've changed over to 8 Ohms and am enjoying some Simon Preston Organ Music.

All I can say is bloody hell! Seems to be delivered in a more authoritative way!

Listening to Steely Dan Time out of Mind and the sound is much better. Fagans lyrics had some distortion at high volume levels. This is not the case now I'm using the 8 Ohm Taps!

advertisement

Back