advertisement

Sugden Connoisseur - lost classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD NEWS

T&G are still going strong.
For those of you who need the new motor T&G will supply you at a most reasonable £29.50 + £3.85 p&p.

This is without the new suspension. You also will need this. The new suspension kit is provided with full instructions and costs £18.50. P&p is free if you buy it at the same time as the new motor.

It is well worth buying these now. You never know when you might need them, or for how long they will still be available. I can assure those of you with the old motor that the new motor gives a better performance. The new suspension is only part of the reason for this; and if you modify the new suspension as I did (see article) performance is improved further.

Ok, first post here, so hello everyone!

I am looking for a copy of eguth's AC article that has been discussed in this thread (and mentioned above). Any chance someone could scan it and send to me via email? I am also willing to pay a few bob if needed.

Been having problems with my Connoisseur's motor, and looks like new suspension kit is needed. I've sent email to T&G, but haven't got any reply back. Looks like I should try the telephone next.

Hi there

Keep trying T&G you have to hit lucky & phone is possibly best

Not sure if the suspension is that critical - but getting it level & stable is - you could make your own or adapt & use some foam under - method discussed in this thread

Plasticman

I have spoken to T&G and they assure me that they always respond to emails. Not only you, but also me and others have had considerable difficulty getting to them not only by email but by post as well. I think your best bet is to try telephoning Mr. Burke, but not on a Monday. He is 'closed' on Mondays.

I think the suspension is very important, and would urge you to get the new suspension and new motor and new motor mount, and also to modify the NEW suspension as per the article I wrote. This will give you better performance, and also enable you to effectively use the home made polyester belt, which is very inexpensive compared to the rubber belt, and also gives best performance.

martin clark

Thanks for providing scans to those who ask for one.

Martin - PM sent to you.

eguth - thanks so much for all your help & info again, much appreciated.

I'll try telephoning T&G as soon as I find time.

Plasticman

Let us know how you get on on the telephone, and with your TT. It is important that T&G be given help and sales! We don't want them to vanish just yet.

Also, I am interested in giving good advice re: T&G when asked. The latest enquirer is in Finland and I had to advise him that he could try emails (he did- no luck) or post (he didn't think this worth trying) or phone. I haven't yet heard the result but I imagine that phone calls from Finland are neither inexpensive nor easy.

Well well well. Got this reply today after a few weeks wait:

Hello

Apologies for the delay but we have been closed for stocktake/office re-arrangement/winter vacation and have only just re-opened.

The BD2/A motor is available @ £29.50 and the suspension kit @ £18.50 - plus shipment and insurance @ £3.85

There is no problem in shipping to Finland and we normally ask for payment by Sterling bank draft but, to save the fees your bank will charge, we can accept currency - Euros/ £ / US$ - rounded off as convenient and enclosed between paper in an innocuous letter.

Regards

Technical and General POBox 53 Crowborough TN6 2BY England

Plastic Man

I am surprised that T&G did not warn you not to send currency notes via ordinary post. You should always make certain that you use a REGISTERED mail service so that you are insured in case of loss, which is unlikely.

Got an email from T&G today. They had recieved my order and payment, which I sent them by post a week ago. Now I am just waiting for the order to arrive here in Finland. So far great service by them IMO, nothing to complain about.

Hello

There has been mention of BD1 scans of mods and perhaps original manuals etc - is it still possible to get these ?

thanks

Graham

Graham-r

You could try a post on this thread requesting that one of the hundreds of pfmers who have either the original articles, or the scans, send you a pm; and that you are willing to compensate them.

I have now celebrated the fact that my current BD1 motor has been in use for more than 20 years. I celebrated by purchasing three (3) more BD1 motors from T&G. At my present rate of wearing out Connoisseur motors I calculate that I may run out of my stock of them in approximately 150-200 years. These motors are inexpensive.

Hi

Someone has been kind enough to provide me with the scans - very interesting they were too.
I would tend to agree with the comments on the motor as the one in my BD1 looks quite old but is still going strong, it doesn't seem to suffer from an inability to start the platter rotating even without the assistance of the rubber buffer thing.

All I need is an arm to put on it !

Thanks

Graham

I removed the Connoisseur starting handle with its rubber ‘bung thing’ decades ago because I, too, found that it was unnecessary and could, in time, cause some slight, avoidable wear on the bearing. Instead I installed an old fashioned Bakelite knob. This does not touch the platter. It works just as well, and looks better (in my opinion).

The general point I am keen to make to all lovers of Connoisseur turntables is that no one can say for how much longer it will be possible to purchase first rate genuine Connoisseur spares. T&G’s prices are very reasonable (I’d better say that quietly) and anyone who thinks they will use their unit for years (or pass it on to someone else for decades of future use) would do well to purchase a load of spares now.

I expect that in 50+ years the Connoisseur BD1 will be regarded as one of the most sought after, desirable TT bargains of the century, and the prices will rocket. I wouldn’t be surprised if new spares purchased now would turn out to be a better investment that antiques, or vintage port.

Has anyone ever fitted a power supply board to the BD1 such as the Linn Valhalla, I have seen another company selling similar things - they specify that the motor must be 110v and 4 pole.
How many poles does the BD1 motor have ?

Graham

I think Eguth did something in the way of clean mains

General Specifications

Drive motor: synchronous constant speed 375rpm at 50Hz

Speeds: 33.33 and 45rpm (manual change)

Platter: 10 1/4" (26cm) lathe turned aluminium casting with precision ground spindle and phosphor bronze bearing

Drive: precision ground round section rubber belt

Performance: considerably exceeds broadcast specifications for turntables in respect of hum, rumble, wow and flutter

Rumble: -60dB

Hum: -80dB

Wow and flutter: less than 0.1%

yes, of course it is mentioned in the Audio Conversions scans, I am not really familiar with the Linwood cleaner or Flutterbuster.

Having looked at the Valhalla circuit diagram it is really quite simple, maybe I will knock one up later and see if it improves things. I expect that the BD1 motor is compatible as like the Linn/Rega motors etc the important attributes are voltage and frequency. Somehow from that the number of poles may be calculated ??

Graham

I do not know the number of poles in a BD1 motor.

The answer can be had by phoning T&G (phone number to be found in post # 111 (above))- but not on a Monday. The proprietor, Dennis Burke, is very helpful and if he doesn’t know I am sure he will find out for you. Do post the answer on this thread when you find it out.

A Hi Fi News Flutterbuster will work well with a BD1, as will- I suspect, a Project Speedbox SE II- but this suspicion needs to be verified BEFORE PURCHASE with the Project's manufacturer. The Project model for U.K. works on 240V and it has the advantages of being both a mains conditioner and a quartz locked regulated supply, and in addition offers speed change facilities and speed adjustment; at a price. The Flutterbuster needs to be used with a mains conditioner. It does have speed change, but no speed adjustment.

I have no experience of the Valhalla, but given that it was designed for a Linn it needs to be checked for compatability with the BD1 before you try it. Again, I think T&G will be able to advise. I don’t believe that it contains a mains conditioner.

There is also a regulated supply called the Heed Orbit 2. This is less expensive than the Project SEII, but has fewer facilities, though it does have a mains conditioner inside; it seems a good compromise. Again you will need to check coompatability with the BD1.

I am not certain that the Linwood mains conditioner is still being sold, but there are a number of manufacturers that sell mains conditioners. You could probably get advice on this, if you want it, by starting a thread on pfm. I can tell you that a mains conditioner makes a substantial difference to the BD1 performance, probably, in my setup, as much as a regulated supply. The two together- well- I call them the ‘Lyngobuster’.

You say you have no arm. If you are going to modify the BD1 it is worth getting the best arm you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back