advertisement

Sugden Connoisseur - lost classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Welcome Tobyo - you have a veritable museum & please post the interview - that must be quite rare

Looking forward to seeing photos especially the BD3

Sugden deserves a website

Maybe you can put up a few needledrops too

Where are you?

We have Sugden to thanks for the continuing existence of vinyl. In the 50s the record companies were gearing up to replace vinyl with tape as the Hi-Fi medium as they believed it was the future for stereo. That was until Sugden demonstrated stereo on microgroove disk in 1956.

It made such and impression he has visits from Decca and the Americans and by 1958 stereo disks were released. I went to the British library and copied loads of articles about stereo from High Fidelity and Hi-Fi news, his demonstration gets a mention in the US and more coverage in the UK but prior to this there seems to be a marked attitude that disk was out if you wanted stereo.

What is sad is after this he gets little mention after 56, as though the big boys were claiming the development all for themselves. I would like to know more about the Westrex (Western Electric) cutting head, looks allot like Alan Blumlein's head to me,.. a rush job? But this is a topic for future research.

Hi Have Fun

I'm in the UK (Exeter).

Don't think I can post it as its an MP3. Also there um.. shhh.. might be some copyright issues as its not available to the public (it is to students and academics at the B Library site). But if you message your email to me I'll mail it to you.

Not sure if this works but here goes: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=443938563104

At the time this was the only 78 I had. The sound is off a mobile so is horrible. Does show the Craftsman to. Set the privacy to public, should work.

Will post more pics though.

Cheers

T

Sorry was wrong, the BD motor has 8 poles. Just has a listen.

The BD3 has a 12v DC motor and external power supply. Same as the BD103 (last turntable). The raising plater was dropped for the BD103.

There are 3 MP3s to the interview about 65MB in total. Very interesting.

Thanks but I don't use facebook

pm sent

I was aware of his pioneering stereo recording but not of the implications of tape

The interview section was ace & Sugden appears very level headed & down to earth - everything I expected him to be

I wonder if a transcription is free of copyright issues

My brother-in-law still has his Connoisseur Sugden (?) BD1 (?) with the Decca International unipivot arm I sold him nearly forty years ago.

He never uses it, mind, and never managed to reach audiophile status, despite my attempts. It still works as far as I know.

Interviews with Arnold Sugden are available on the British Library online Archival Sound Records website.

Search Sugden, Arnold - ref: 1985.3. The uniform title is ‘Oral History of Recorded Sound' ref is: C90/91/01.

There may be limitations on access. I have taken this up with the BL today, and they are not certain what these may be but will get back to me. It appears that the interviews have been catalogued incorrectly.

For further info on listening to Sugden and other material on the listening service email:

[email protected]

Ian Rawes is the listening service and will respond to your query.

There are four (4) interviews with A.H.Sudgen: No. 1 (½ hr); NO. 2 (½ hr); No. 3 (11 min); No. 4 (no info available at present).

There is also a tape of interest by John Moseley ref: C90/62 a former Chief Engineer at Pye Records. He discusses Arnold Sugden.

ARNOLD SUGDEN INTERVIEW No. 1- (Notes taken by me from the British Library FIRST INTERVIEW TAPE recorded 1985- duration 29 minutes).

The Legal and Ethical Usage provisions of the British Library permit non-- commercial use of the materials for research and learning. I have confirmed that posting my notes here is permitted.

The following interview was recorded at Arnold Sugden’s home in Bradford, Yorks, in 1985. The interviewer’s name is not disclosed. I can say, however, that he is male, and obviously very well informed about audio history.

EARLY LIFE. NOV. 1912: BORN.
Father was an apprenticed Engineer. Mother was daughter of Mill owner and was a professional singer.

Started work in 1920s as an apprentice undertaker/joiner. He did not take much interest in his clients.

Age 20 designed stair sides as Manager of a woodwork engineering firm.

Made Connoisseur radios, winding the transformers on his kitchen table using a hand drill. It took his future wife’s cooperation to wind the transformers.

Linen diaphram blue spot drivers used. Made a lot of sets.

No formal training, but read all the journals.

War came. Left building trade to set up his own firm. Produced sample tools for local bullet production.

Produced centre grinders to grind belts- still uses them to grind precision Connoisseur TT belts.

A.R.Sugden. Middle initial ‘R’ for Robinson: “Heath Robinson”.

Anti submarine wire snares to sink submarines required. Mill opted in Heckmandwike. Sugden designed these snares there in 6 weeks.

1946 END OF WAR
Left with a good engineering shop and no work. Nervous breakdown due to overwork.

Designed a pickup for a radiogram. Started hi fi Moving Needle- very small armature. Small mass. Steel needles not in production. 35 thousands of an inch diameter. Polished carefully to control radii. Hard flashing required afterwards. Stitched into a jig. Bristles were the needles then slotted through. Then chromium plated. Designed by Sugden.

1948-9: 78r.p.m. DAYS
Turntables were produced. Sugden designed heavy synchronous motor precision TT. Made everything. Laminations stamped. Rotors cobalt steel. Employed 35 people.

Obtained Cecil Watts acetate. Couldn’t control head oscillations and stop vertical oscillation due to mass of head. Cutter had mass obdurated- high flux MC cutter head designed. Patents taken out. Made groove spacing continuously variable. Recordings made for universities and Crown Agents for the colonies. 5 watts across cutter head was sufficient. Microgroove recordings.

1950s: ROYAL SOCIETY OF ARTS-DEMO OF THE RECORDERS
LP records: we produced 2 speed TTs and pickup arm with loose head. Split ceramic cartridge.

1952 RADIO OLYMPIA- STEREO SOUND
Listening to stereo with Gilbert Briggs sitting next to him. He told Briggs: “You will need 2 speakers”.

Took 3 years to get a useable cutter head for stereo.

Yes that's the interview.

I'll post some pics of some of my collection on the weekend and have a look around the pink fish site, I have only lurked till now so need to see how to post pics and if anything else is possible.

With regard to the magazine articles, there are copyright issues also. But will have to look into what is possible.

I guess brochures are ok as connoisseur and Hacker are long gone (the company Mr Sugden amalgamated with just before the asset stripping Bast***!s closed them down, sad, very sad).

cheers till then. T

Guys,
Not connected with me at all but just saw this on ebay:
SUGDEN CONNOISSEUR BD1 TURNTABLE KIT SPARES OR REPAIR
Might be of interest to someone.
AP

Just tying to embed some images from filckr..

BD3 hear goes.

6132160691_a0ee8dcff8.jpg
[/url]
BD3 by TobyO3, on Flickr[/img]

The BD3 is an odd one, underneath it has a BD1/2 platter. This plater can rise and fall, the brass bearing that is normally fixed in the previous BDs is encapsulated inside a cam operated rise fall mechanism. In my one its a bit wobbly as it does seem quite well used. The quick stop start works OK though. I have borrowed the SAU3 arm for use with my Craftsman 3.

I do not have any bearing rumble at all from my idler models (speakers Hartley 220MSG, Fs 28). There is though some noise, this is a quiet hum from the motor spindle as the needle bearings do wear a little (I can see I slight ridge and the surface is no longer smooth as plastic has an uneven hardness), I have 2 craftsman IIIs and have selected all the best parts to make one reasonable one.

At some point I will try to get all the bearings reground. One of the nice things about connoisseur idlers is that there is a myriad ways to readjust them so minimal loss from machining can be accounted for.

Here is the "needle", it was designed to use "the new lightweight needles" this is a sapphire stylus made by a 3rd party manufacturer. Photos taken with a cheep USB microscope I got from Lidl :)

6132516159_2dba63d1f2.jpg
[/url]
Still0002 by TobyO3, on Flickr[/img]

6133063482_4c9193a31f.jpg
[/url]
Still0013 by TobyO3, on Flickr[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back