advertisement

Sugden A48 varieties

mandryka

pfm Member
I’m not sure about this, but far as I can see there are three technically different versions of this amp, the A48 and the A48 Mk 2 and A48 Mk 3.

This site contains some service information for all three

http://www.valve-radio.co.uk/literature/j-e-sugden-a48-amplifier-service-manual/

I have found what may be three different "looks" for the amp, and I'm not sure which (if any) is the Mk 2 and Mk 3. I think the orange is Mk 2 and the wood is Mk 1. The last picture is Mk 3

s-l1600-11.jpg

7688953852_1c59c57477_b.jpg

360_715cd717b69c6fceff9fd54f1a658779.jpg

sugdena48iii.jpg

And to confuse matters further, I can't find any details about the sonic differences between the vanilla A48 and the later incarnations -- did the Mk 2 sound better than the vanilla, the Mk 3 better than the Mk 2? This site contains links to some of Sugden's original promotional literature where Sugden claim that the A 48 Mk 3 was a major improvement over the A28 M2 -- but no mention of previous versions of the A 48!!!!!!!

http://www.albionam.com/amps.aspx

This comment online suggests that while the A48 was really the same as a Sugden A21, the A48 Mk 2 was an improvement

(From http://neophonics.com/?page_id=377)

"The Sugden A4II amplifiers smooth fatigue free listening owes much to the Class A circuitry of the power stages. The configuration has been chosen to give the maximum benefits of the better reproduction qualities of Class A and the economic output of Class B.

During the reproduction of both music and speech full output is required only during very short periods. Sugden had chosen a level of Class A operation which ensured the majority of your listening would be in Class A with short excursions into AB.

The amplifier was dynamic, with precise imaging, sound stage and separation normally found in more expensive “separates” combinations. The colour combination of light brown, orange and white was novel at the time and much talked about. Today the A48II would blend in as an art piece as well as a finely tuned music reproducer!"

But it's not clear what he's referring to because of the expression "A4II", which may be a typo.

HELP!!!! KILL ME NOW!!!!

A brief conversation with Sugden has revealed that there's not much in it between the wooden box and the orange stripe, maybe a little more power in the orange stripe. The earlier models (i.e. wood and orange) are more easily serviced, the later ones have switches which are now irreplaceable. Altogether I got the impression that the earlier models were better in every way.

The early ones had only one pair of TO3 output devices and for whatever reason sound the best. More spacious sound with greater sense of ease. Later ones had 2 pairs of plastic case power transistors. They are totally different to the A21 until you get to the "false" A21 which was the third incarnation and NOT class A. This should not have been called A21 as it was very misleading... A21 was known as being a class A model with pseudo single ended output stage whilst the 3rd version was push pull and as I say not class A.

Wouldn't it be great, Jezz, if you found a way of restoring the front panel on the Orange Stripe! I would pay good money for a pristine fully restored version.

Anyway, hopefully I'm on the way to being a proud owner of a Wooden Box, to drive my JR149s.

Wouldn't it be great, Jezz, if you found a way of restoring the front panel on the Orange Stripe! I would pay good money for a pristine fully restored version.

Anyway, hopefully I'm on the way to being a proud owner of a Wooden Box, to drive my JR149s.

Ah well if you ever want one electrically restoring I do provide that service... including rebuilding to better than new standard. As with all other equipment though I don't touch aesthetics.

At a hifi show many years ago I listened to a pair of Jr149 demonstrated by the man himself Jim Rogers, they sounded better than I had ever heard them ..... he was using an A48mk2. At the time I worked for a hifi dealer and treated myself to an A48...never got round to buying a pair of JR149, much to my regret.

Yes there’s an old thread here somewhere where someone posts to say that he sold JR149s and they worked best of all with Orange Stripe.

Cylindrical speakers and an amp with an orange stripe must have made you look like the king of cool in the 1970s, no wonder they sold!

I have fond memories of my wooden sleeve A48. I used it to drive ESL57s. Our unusual electricity supply meant I had a few problems. The A48 was normally considered to be okay with the electrostatics but not in my case.

The problem with the A48II is not the orange stripe, it’s the gungey brown Nextel sludge on the sides and top. I still haven’t decided what to replaced it with. I am thinking of gun metal colour vinyl coating , the type people use on their show cars which can be removed as a film like decal. Any suggestions gratefully received.

The problem with the A48II is not the orange stripe, it’s the gungey brown Nextel sludge on the sides and top. I still haven’t decided what to replaced it with. I am thinking of gun metal colour vinyl coating , the type people use on their show cars which can be removed as a film like decal. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Didn't the Nextel extend to all surfaces including the knobs? I have an A48 in the depths of my garage (which still works) and would also be interested in what you may come up with

On my mk2, the brown nextel was sides and top. The orange stripe was behind the knobs and balance, mono and on/off, etc. press in switches which were black plastic. The front was white/grey paint which in my case has worn very well as well as the printed lettering and looks as new. The more I think about it gun metal vinyl film should look ok.

I’m not sure about this, but far as I can see there are three technically different versions of this amp, the A48 and the A48 Mk 2 and A48 Mk 3.

This site contains some service information for all three

http://www.valve-radio.co.uk/literature/j-e-sugden-a48-amplifier-service-manual/

I have found what may be three different "looks" for the amp, and I'm not sure which (if any) is the Mk 2 and Mk 3. I think the orange is Mk 2 and the wood is Mk 1. The last picture is Mk 3

s-l1600-11.jpg

7688953852_1c59c57477_b.jpg

360_715cd717b69c6fceff9fd54f1a658779.jpg

sugdena48iii.jpg

And to confuse matters further, I can't find any details about the sonic differences between the vanilla A48 and the later incarnations -- did the Mk 2 sound better than the vanilla, the Mk 3 better than the Mk 2? This site contains links to some of Sugden's original promotional literature where Sugden claim that the A 48 Mk 3 was a major improvement over the A28 M2 -- but no mention of previous versions of the A 48!!!!!!!

http://www.albionam.com/amps.aspx

This comment online suggests that while the A48 was really the same as a Sugden A21, the A48 Mk 2 was an improvement

(From http://neophonics.com/?page_id=377)

"The Sugden A4II amplifiers smooth fatigue free listening owes much to the Class A circuitry of the power stages. The configuration has been chosen to give the maximum benefits of the better reproduction qualities of Class A and the economic output of Class B.

During the reproduction of both music and speech full output is required only during very short periods. Sugden had chosen a level of Class A operation which ensured the majority of your listening would be in Class A with short excursions into AB.

The amplifier was dynamic, with precise imaging, sound stage and separation normally found in more expensive “separates” combinations. The colour combination of light brown, orange and white was novel at the time and much talked about. Today the A48II would blend in as an art piece as well as a finely tuned music reproducer!"

But it's not clear what he's referring to because of the expression "A4II", which may be a typo.

HELP!!!! KILL ME NOW!!!!

I owned the second, wooden one.
It was adequate but no great shakes.

There is an eBay seller that re-Nextels Revox B77s etc, so it is clearly possible to deal with this stuff (link).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back