Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sugden A21

Discussion in 'classic' started by greg788, Oct 24, 2021.

1. greg788

greg788 pfm Member

I tried searching, too many hits.

I found a mint A21 for a good price, all original but working fine according to the owner. I think this is the original, not the series 2

How good is this amp for pure musical enjoyment? What concerns should I have? I assume (?) an immediate bias check and electrolytic cap replacement would be in order?

gavreid likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They are wonderful things. Really good sounding amps, though need partnering with fairly efficient speakers as they are only about 10-12 Watts IIRC. Anything of that age will need a good service by now, a class A amp even more so due to the hot running.

gavreid likes this.
  3. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Very good sounding amp and always serviceable no matter what so can’t go wrong if the sound signature suits you well.

4. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Brilliant amps. Sugden will still service them if needed.

gavreid likes this.
  5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Be aware though that Sugden has halted all non-warranty servicing for the time being owing to a backlog in the factory from covid issues.

6. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

Not a lot to touch it IMO, at anywhere near the price. Such 'hifi' shortcomings as it has are essentially benign in terms of musical enjoyment, and easy to ignore.

Darren L likes this.
  7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/sugden-a21-series-ii-rebuild.224295/

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/richard-allan-class-a-sugden-a21-rebuild.214612/

gavreid likes this.