advertisement

Sugden A21 Series II rebuild.

So what should I be getting into 10R?

OK some figures from sim of the S1 A21:

16R 5.4W, 10R 8W, 8R 9.7W, 6R 11.8W, 4R 9.5W

But do see the edit admitting my earlier mistake up thread!:)

Interestingly, it clips the negative going peak first into higher loads but into 4R it clips the positive peak first as it can't provide enough current to sustain the voltage required. It does not look good when it clips into low impedance's and has a bad hang up after clipping...
The clipping into 6R and above looks clean and controlled.

Jez, are you up for sorting out another A21? My Dad is sending me his. It's missing a volume knob but Sugden are selling me one of the last remaining ones.

Might be worth getting in touch with Steve at Magna Audio about the case, I was going to get him to do one for me but I managed to restore the original to a nice enough state that I was happy to keep it.

Gonna see what it’s like and may do the same but as I already have another A21 thought it might be good to try something fancy. I’m in two minds.

He will do anything you can think of, he uses African Blackwood, Ebony, or standard stuff like oak etc. Some of the stuff he's made is really nice, check out some of the sheet copper cases he's made as well.

He did an SME arm board for me from African Blackwood and it was really nicely made.

I can't remember off the top of my head, I think I was going to go for an Ebony sleeve which was obviously pricier than something simple.

And yet another one... this time for @Tigerjones of this parish. Only took a few pics as it neared completion this time as plenty of A21 pics already now!

A very late one here from 1973. The commission was for not as far as a complete rebuild including all resistors and transistors this time... but as can often happen with such old gear, more work was required than at first apparent...

ZrRQplc.jpg

Above can be seen the completed amp. On initial testing over 20 mins or so some problems raised their ugly head which were traced to the small signal and driver transistors (power amp boards) and so all 5 per channel ended up being changed anyway... I reckon this will be de rigueur for any others I do.... the BFY52/53 devices do not seem to last well particularly. A few of the resistors which were well out of tolerance were changed.
aq5FuXD.jpg

I have a suspicion that this example may have had a channel imbalance from new! Sugden fit a select on test resistor to one channel as required to even the gain out and make sure the balance really is central with the control central... Now, it was a fair bit out with this one and removing the fitted 82K resistor from the channel on the left in the top photo made it considerably better... so I fitted a temporary trimmer resistor to the right channel and used it to properly equal the two channels... guess what value was optimum? yep, 82K! My suspicion is the value had been worked out in the factory but then a slip of the mind after a tea break or whatever and it was fitted to the wrong channel... Anyway the new 82K can be seen top right in the above pic at the input from the coax... the original can be seen in the first pic on the left board before I removed it.
Nx3nwRj.jpg

And the finished article above.

It's been on about 18 hours so far of the 48 hour soak test I do and has been sounding bloody marvellous, as these do.
One often sees posts asking for recommendations for a SS amp that sounds like a valve amp.. . these are the best example of such a thing I've ever known;)

My dad bought this amp the year I was born and I grew up with it. This is the first time I’ve seen it in over 30 years (my dad sent it straight to Jez). I was considering having a new wooden sleeve made for it and still might but it looks in remarkable good nick. Really looking forward to listening to it. It needed a new volume knob and Sugden kindly sent me one of the last remaining ones for a very small charge. Nice work, Jez.

My dad bought this amp the year I was born and I grew up with it. This is the first time I’ve seen it in over 30 years (my dad sent it straight to Jez). I was considering having a new wooden sleeve made for it and still might but it looks in remarkable good nick. Really looking forward to listening to it. It needed a new volume knob and Sugden kindly sent me one of the last remaining ones for a very small charge. Nice work, Jez.

The case looks much better in the photo than in real life I'm afraid.... However, I think they are solid hardwood and so could no doubt be rubbed down and re-stained and polished...

The knobs on these always have a slight "mottled" staining on the "alloy" and believe it of not the "brand new" NOS one is exactly the same!

advertisement

Back