Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden loss in volume from Naim NAC112/NAP150

Discussion in 'audio' started by gustav_errata, Dec 10, 2020.

1. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

Edit: numpty alert. The problem wasn't the amps. Please disregard.

I have a Naim NAC112 and NAP150. Normally, I would listen with the volume around the 9-10 o'clock position. Only on the rarest occasion would I approach 12 o'clock.

I just sat down to listen this evening and I'm finding that I need to turn it up to 12 o'clock just to get a bit of energy and volume, testing with my usual go-to tracks. At my usual 9 o'clock the music is barely audible.

These were bought second hand and I don't know the service history for sure but past enquiries to Naim via Grahams (the amps have Grahams stickers on the back) and Class A didn't turn up any service records. Despite their age, I haven't sent them for a service yet myself because I thought they sounded fine.

Anyway. Is this just a sign that the usual recap is needed or does this sound like something else? If so, would both amps require service? Sorry I'm a complete newbie about this stuff.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  2. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

Nevermind. I can't delete my thread (can I?) but it seems to be a source problem...

Edit for the curious: a source problem didn't occur to me because its just a streamer (SOtM sMS-200) into a Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100, both new, so it should be line-level with no clear way to get volume attenuation that's otherwise clean. So I assumed it must be the amps. However I forgot that I updated the streamer yesterday and this was my first listen since the update. Somehow during the update the mpd settings changed to have a software mixer, which defaults to 50% volume I think. Re-disablng that fixed it.

3. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

NAC112s were notorious for volume control issues and I believe the control circutry went obsolete because it doesn't use a standard volume pot, rather a digital control. A call to Naim may be the only fix.

4. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

The position of the volume control don't say anything how much power the amp is delivering.

The power of 10 o'clock at a Naim can be the same power at 14 o'clock with a different amp.

5. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

These were all in reference to the same amp. Anyway, I sorted it out in the end as the problem was "impossibly" in the source.

6. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

@gustav_errata: Sorry, I have miss read the post. I have read Sugden loss in volume vs. Naim Nap 112/150. I should read more carefully, not only the headlines while watching TV. Especially if it isn't written in my mother language. Sorry!:oops:

7. benjaminreed1

benjaminreed1 Benjamin Reed

I read Sugden also -)

8. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

I have a similar affliction; whenever there is a thread that mentions 'streamer' or 'streamers', I always see 'steamer' or 'steamers'.

Must be my maritime heritage.

Rosewind likes this.