advertisement

subwoofer advice

I just bought the REL T Zero 2 which is bloody tiny but it fits right in with my Loth-X Ion bookshelf speaker and my 300B SE tube amp.

Th weight and quality of the item astonished me for the price. IF this is an example of REL's quality then I cannot fault the company's products.

I've an old REL Quake sub leftover from a previous home cinema set-up and am currently experimenting with that in the system in my study, which is quite a small room. I'm using a Krell integrated to drive some small standmount Triangle Titus XS speakers and with the sub set to a fairly low level it does seem to add something useful to the set-up.

I'm not sure how the reproduction of mids from your main speakers can benefit from the addition of subs if you are not unburdening your mains by high-passing them? i.e. your mains are still being asked to produce the same full range signal even when the subs are on.
Exactly, in unburdening the mains you also increase power handling and reduce power compression. Mind you I've heard people claim adding a super tweeter increases bass extension...

I have been buying from BK for over 20 years and never had a bad buy. Have bought quite a few amp modules and 3 of their sub plate amps, 2x 275 watt and a 500 watt. Everything they produce is exceptional quality and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I'm sure REL are great, but for me BK are my "Go to" every time.

I use a Bluesound Pulse soundbar (very good) with a Kef subwoofer . The sub gels pretty well but I'm tempted to buy and SVS SB-4000. If you have the room and the budget check this out (
) 79kg and can physically bring the walls down :)

I use a Bluesound Pulse soundbar (very good) with a Kef subwoofer . The sub gels pretty well but I'm tempted to buy and SVS SB-4000. If you have the room and the budget check this out (
Wow, check out the excursion on that thing! Wonder what the Xmax is on those SVS's? I laughed upon the recommendation of powering from a 20A circuit, - I think my brain would implode before the house wiring at those kind of output levels! :eek:

I'd love to have a sub with my little Shahinians but my past two attempts with previous speakers have never worked out well.

I hope that you'll try and support your Shahinians with a sub/s. :) We're currently using Monitor Audio's Bronze 2's with a JL Audio E112. Took me about five hours to calibrate/dial in the two but it was certainly worth the time and effort.

A subwoofer is the most important main component.

Nice :cool:

We have JL Audio's Gotham v2 here. Fibreglass composite enclosure and weighs 163kg/360lbs. Took four of us to move/unbox the Gotham v2 :)

x61_1048142.jpg

x4_7d8e3ee216e91583494c77046881efac.jpg

x3_7d8e3ee216e91583494c77046881efac.jpg

Apologies for blatantly jumping in on the thread but this has got me really interested in getting a sub.

It will be in a room approx 3mx4m, wooden floor and fully carpeted. Usual bedroom furniture- it’s the guest room so has a sofa bed in.

I have found a B.K. XLS200 for £180 and a 400 for £300. Ideally I’d like to only spend the £180 but if the 400 is worth the extra then I’d go that route.

So given the room and it’ll be purely for music paired with RAM 200 speakers would the 200 suffice or should I bite the bullet and get the 400?

Apologies for blatantly jumping in on the thread but this has got me really interested in getting a sub.

It will be in a room approx 3mx4m, wooden floor and fully carpeted. Usual bedroom furniture- it’s the guest room so has a sofa bed in.

I have found a B.K. XLS200 for £180 and a 400 for £300. Ideally I’d like to only spend the £180 but if the 400 is worth the extra then I’d go that route.

So given the room and it’ll be purely for music paired with RAM 200 speakers would the 200 suffice or should I bite the bullet and get the 400?
A 400 would probably be overkill in that size of room. Assuming you're not listening to music or films at cinema noise levels I suspect the 200 would do just fine with your RAM 200s... says he who has two XXLS400s in an 4.2m x 3.8m room! :D

Just be sure to set the sub's crossover frequency so that it's only filling in below where your RAMs naturally roll off, as you don't want to be doubling up on the bass your RAMs are producing.

EDIT - My subs' crossover frequency is set so low it's sometimes difficult to tell if they're on or off (i.e. the music has to have genuine content below 40Hz for my subs to make their presence known).

The 200 would be a fine way of dipping your toe into the sub pool and seeing if it's for you. Nothing to stop you, when funds allow, adding a 2nd 200 to the set up either.

Exactly, in unburdening the mains you also increase power handling and reduce power compression.

That's right. Why have the amp and mains needlessly busting their balls when all things being equal a subwoofer/s will deal with and reproduce these low frequencies far more effectively.

Don't waste the potential of the subwoofer/s. Unburden the mains by crossing over at or as close to 80Hz and pass this low frequency burden on to the sub/s. If effectively calibrated/dialled the sub/s should integrate seamlessly with the mains and disappear into the soundstage even at these high crossover frequencies.

To hear the full colour, conviction and energy of music or movies then the use of a sub/s is essential.

Thanks all. Sounds like a plan and I can keep my eyes open for another decent secondhand 200 :).

I’ll be sure to spend time setting it up properly also...

Picked up my BK XLS200 today. £180 secondhand from a music producer who used it in his studio so in mint condition and not driven to destruction.

Really very impressed and very surprised at the effect it has. I thought I really liked the sound of my speakers but even after an hour or so if having the sub I couldn’t go back to it not being there.

Super impressed with the build quality as well and yes, as others have said when you go to pick up this very small looking sub the weight is somewhat of a surprise.

Will definitely be on the look out for a second :).

2geJtew.jpg

advertisement

Back