advertisement

subwoofer advice

ljcarr

i have no idea what im talking about
Im going to get a sub, now which one is the question? I have owned Rel and Velodyne in the past and enjoyed both, so Im now looking at the Rel T5i or T7i but Ive also heard good things about the BK subs and they seem to have great controls and connectivity. This sub is going to be paired with my Keff R700's and used predominately for music but it will also be connected to my sound bar for TV viewing. My thoughts are that the Rel mite be more suited to music. Anyone using BK subs for music please convince me otherwise!

You should be able to find a REL dealer who will come to your house, set up the sub, leave it with you for a week and then take it back if you don't want to keep it.

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Rel make ace subs for music.

Am not sure how many models BK have built for REL, or if they still do (maybe they still use BK plate amps), but BK have been OEMs for the major sub companies for quite some time.

https://www.bkelec.com/oem.htm

I really like the look of the new BK Double Gem sub. Top of my list. 2x 10” drivers in a sealed box.

https://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Double_Gem.html

DG_LO_NG_450.jpg

Will you be using any additional EQ with the sub/speakers or just run the speakers full range and use the subs built in crossover?

One thing to consider is that those Kef’s produce a decent amount of bass and go fairly deep, so adding a subwoofer that doesn’t have a suitable crossover will likely add to any room modes.
You will end up having to back off on the subs volume to avoid this, which will limit the deep bass extension of the sub at the same time.

A lot of subs use a 12db/oct crossover and have a minimum frequency setting of 40hz. This will create a huge overlap between your speakers and sub.

JL audio use a steeper 24db/oct and have a minimum setting of 30hz if I remember correctly, if they are within your budget.
I also spoke to BK before and they can supply their subs with a 24db/oct crossover that also has a more suitable range for larger speakers in 2ch systems, like 20hz to 60hz adjustment, rather than 40hz to 120hz which can be found on many subs.

Will you be using any additional EQ with the sub/speakers or just run the speakers full range and use the subs built in crossover?

One thing to consider is that those Kef’s produce a decent amount of bass and go fairly deep, so adding a subwoofer that doesn’t have a suitable crossover will likely add to any room modes.
You will end up having to back off on the subs volume to avoid this, which will limit the deep bass extension of the sub at the same time.

A lot of subs use a 12db/oct crossover and have a minimum frequency setting of 40hz. This will create a huge overlap between your speakers and sub.

JL audio use a steeper 24db/oct and have a minimum setting of 30hz if I remember correctly, if they are within your budget.
I also spoke to BK before and they can supply their subs with a 24db/oct crossover that also has a more suitable range for larger speakers in 2ch systems, like 20hz to 60hz adjustment, rather than 40hz to 120hz which can be found on many subs.

just runing the speakers full range and use the subs built in crossover?

just runing the speakers full range and use the subs built in crossover?

Yes, using your speakers exactly as you do at the moment and adding an active subwoofer like a REL and adjusting the subwoofers crossover to integrate with your speakers.

I’ve been using a BK XLS200 DF sub in my system. It adds so much more than I expected as I am getting a greater insight to the music I listen to.

There’s greater scale and more weight to the bass which remains very controlled too. But it’s not only the bass that’s improved, there’s the midrange improvement and greater air it seems in the higher frequencies.

It seems as though it’s opened up the presentation of the music, I’m just hearing more of what’s going on.

It’s definitely been a worthwhile addition to my system.

I’ve been using a BK XLS200 DF sub in my system. It adds so much more than I expected as I am getting a greater insight to the music I listen to.

There’s greater scale and more weight to the bass which remains very controlled too. But it’s not only the bass that’s improved, there’s the midrange improvement and greater air it seems in the higher frequencies.

It seems as though it’s opened up the presentation of the music, I’m just hearing more of what’s going on.

It’s definitely been a worthwhile addition to my system.

And this is why we’ll use JL Audio’s E Series, Fathom v2 and Gotham v2 series of subwoofers as much as possible even with full range speakers. The key to using a sub/s is not to add fat but to support the sound with toned muscle and once effectively integrated into the room and with the mains the difference a sub/s make to a system is profound.

Switch off or remove the sub/s and the sound ‘collapses’ and system sounds flat and thin in comparison.

To hear the full colour, conviction and energy of music or movies then the use of a sub/s is essential.

Last edited:
Rick could you post an REW FR plot of the Dutch&Dutch 8Cs with two subwoofers and I will ask again how do you integrate them?
Keith

Hi Ijcar,

I am using the 400DF. This is a sealed unit and is fast, working well with my Focal 1008be.

If you phone BK and speak to the main man, I think I asked to be put through to technical support, he did adjustments for me gratis, including:

1. Changing the XOver range; and
2. Including a timed shutdown.

If you tell him your speakers he may have his own suggestions. I cannot recommend BK highly enough. Although I used REL for years my alternative suggestion would be MJ Acoustics.

....for music I would definitely go for an unported sub.

Cheers everyone for your advise much appreciated. Another question, down or forward firing sub on floorboards ?

Forward firing. Sealed box.

Am curious Lee, why do you say sealed? Will be building some sometime soon and choosing between ported/sealed. Both have their pro & cons, I’ve little experience with subs but the principles should be the same to designing any woofer enclosure

Ported are flabby. Closed box punch. Best to have Anthony Joshua's speed, punch and power over Mr Blobby.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back