advertisement

Subterranean - New Designs on Bowie's Berlin

Dylan is one serious drummer - versatile too. Plays regularly with Andy Sheppard on jazz and is also Wilko Johnson’s drummer as well. His wife, Zoe, is a music author/biographer.

I'm also thinking I may have seen Dylan play live! as I saw Wilko support Status Quo at the Manchester Apollo earlier this year - was he the drummer?

I'm a little surprised this recording hasn't generated more interest on pfm? (given the number of Jazz and Bowie fans)

I'm a little surprised this recording hasn't generated more interest on pfm? (given the number of Jazz and Bowie fans)

Well, thanks for bumping the thread, listening to the download now and awaiting the vinyl.

An interesting mix isn't it? Good late night stuff, mixing a generally laid back style with enough going on to keep it interesting.

I've only had a quick listen on spotify as it's been a pretty hectic weekend - however I heard enough to get me to shell out for the vinyl. Sounded nicely recorded too.

I've not heard this, but I wouldn't have thought this music lent itself to a jazz take. And the Philip Glass "interpretations" of Low and Heroes left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've not heard this, but I wouldn't have thought this music lent itself to a jazz take. And the Philip Glass "interpretations" of Low and Heroes left a bad taste in my mouth.

Some audio previews on Youtube.

[YOUTUBE]xmtEP3yUZ2A&index=2&list=PLUnk4rJMz2EEb8-2xv5YBQPpxaWT5dtqb[/YOUTUBE]

Very good - Thanks for the heads up on this one.

The jazz angle, while at face value may seem at odds with the material, works very well for most of the cuts as he keeps it atmospheric and moody. When it goes a bit more straight ahead jazz it doesn't work so well for me. Thankfully most of the album retains the moodiness and makes for very thoughtful interpretations.

The FLAC sounds very nice - looking forward to the LP.

Agree with your comments about the straight ahead jazz.

Looking forward to receiving the LPs - if only all artists took such care of their releases - the LPs come supplied in With 2x audiophile anti-static, 100% non-abrasive inner sleeves :)

0002534691_10.jpg

I'm liking this a lot from the Spotify stream, and I've ordered the LP. I suspect PFM members should account for a good proportion of the pressing.

As a Bowie/Berlin and free jazz fan, I thought at first that it might be too 'straight-ahead', as Sam and Gerard have suggested, but I've change my mind now. The segues from the Enoesque to the more conventional jazz arrangements work well. Looking forward to digesting it thoroughly over the weeks.

All in all, it's a brilliant idea for a project with some excellent playing, and it's beautifully recorded. I'd like to hear a sequel with an extreme and abrasive version of 'Blackout'.

I suspect PFM members should account for a good proportion of the pressing.

We are a discerning bunch aren't we?

I'm surprised that knocking out only 250 copies makes sense. As Gerard says there must be quite a number of Bowie/Jazz/Vinyl fans out there.

advertisement

Back